Extreme CMOS/Windows corruption?

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

Your lappy probably has a partition that has the windows install on it. Try booting the PC hitting F8 and click repair your computer > advanced boot settings.

From there restore to factory settings.

Doesn't work from Win 8 upwards. Instead you have to let Windows start to boot then reboot or kill the power (hold power button for 4 seconds) and on next boot it will boot WinRE instead, if it doesn't then repeat it twice in a row, sometimes it works first time while other times it takes 2 reboots.

Or from Windows (assuming you've got UEFI not BIOS) just hold shift then click reboot from Start and you'll get an option to reboot into WinRE.

Hi,

I'm having a veritable crap-ton of issues right now, and they all started today. I'll tell you everything I know, even if it seems useless

So I recently installed purchased a HDMI to DVI adapter so I could use an old monitor with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 5537, Windows 10), and everything was working fine. After a while I powered off my laptop, and the first problem emerged. Although the screen went blank, all the periphials and the status lights stayed on and the fan kept spinning. So I manually powered off using the button, and left. I got home today, powered on, and had to wait about 2 minutes for the laptop to boot. The Windows 10 lock screen background and time were also replaced with grey (My theme colour). Only the battery and wifi remained. On the enter password screen the windows 10 picture was gone, and the unlock time was massive. Once I loaded into the desktop, I noticed the second monitor wasn't being recognised, even though it worked yesterday. The start menu goes see-through with no buttons or tiles for a bit, and even opening chrome causes major lag. I checked, and all hardware was recognised, so... what is it? I know corrupt CMOS can cause the light problems, but the lag and lack of monitor recognition SCREAMS corrupt Windows install. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: I have tried turning the laptop off and on again. No help

Re-install windows

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Re-install windows

I'll give it a go, but my laptop came with Windows 8 and no discs whatsoever, so any suggestions on making an install disk?

I'll give it a go, but my laptop came with Windows 8 and no discs whatsoever, so any suggestions on making an install disk?

Your lappy probably has a partition that has the windows install on it. Try booting the PC hitting F8 and click repair your computer > advanced boot settings.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Or there's a chance the Bios holds the Windows key. So all he will need to do is find a Windows 8 image of the same type (home, pro, enterprise) and "burn" it to a USB stick.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Or there's a chance the Bios holds the Windows key. So all he will need to do is find a Windows 8 image of the same type (home, pro, enterprise) and "burn" it to a USB stick.

Yes this is an option as well.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Doesn't work from Win 8 upwards. Instead you have to let Windows start to boot then reboot or kill the power (hold power button for 4 seconds) and on next boot it will boot WinRE instead, if it doesn't then repeat it twice in a row, sometimes it works first time while other times it takes 2 reboots.

Or from Windows (assuming you've got UEFI not BIOS) just hold shift then click reboot from Start and you'll get an option to reboot into WinRE.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Thanks all. Booted laptop into UEFI like someone suggested and reinstalled windows 10 (there's an option in the reset menu). Everything was fixed, thanks for the help