Australian $1700 gaming build

G'day mates, I'm new to this site and to PC gaming and I'm in the market for a computer that will max out games in 1080p for the next few years while I'm at university, thanks so much for your help in advance, if you could please use http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/index.phtml?bid=3 it would be really helpful as the store is just down the road. :)

What are we suppose to pick a prebuilt pc from that page?

Prebuilt computers suck and are far to expensive for the components they have in it.

If you ment picking piece by piece then this site is 10x better https://pcpartpicker.com/, unless that store is the only place u can get thing and cant order from anywhere else.

Oh my god, over a 1000$ for a gtx 980ti

Prebuilt computers suck and are far to expensive for the components they have in it.

If you ment picking piece by piece then this site is 10x better https://pcpartpicker.com/, unless that store is the only place u can get thing and cant order from anywhere else.

I just meant pick out some custom parts and build one, and i only listed that site as it would save me a lot of money on shipping. I just took a look at pcpartpicker and its interface is a lot cleaner and smoother than umarts, so please feel free to use it and ill just see if i can find the parts you choose on umart, thanks :)

I just meant pick out some custom parts and build one, and i only listed that site as it would save me a lot of money on shipping. I just took a look at pcpartpicker and its interface is a lot cleaner and smoother than umarts, so please feel free to use it and ill just see if i can find the parts you choose on umart, thanks :)

Pcpartpicker lets u change the region to australia, so it will choose stores in australia.

Oh my god, over a 1000$ for a gtx 980ti

Feel our pain

G'day mates, I'm new to this site and to PC gaming and I'm in the market for a computer that will max out games in 1080p for the next few years while I'm at university, thanks so much for your help in advance, if you could please use http://www.umart.com...dex.phtml?bid=3 it would be really helpful as the store is just down the road. :)

Sorry, i have nothing to contribute, apart from what swiftXshadow said. use PCpartpicker. Even if you have to do custom parts for everything,it'll be easier to use pcpartpicker

My rig cost $1900, including peripherals, and you can make some much better decisions than i did.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/thorpj/saved/tZy8TW

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Pcpartpicker lets u change the region to australia, so it will choose stores in australia.

Oh thats awesome, but even still, shipping a computer from melbourne/sydney will cost around $300-400 :/

Feel our pain

Sorry, i have nothing to contribute, apart from what swiftXshadow said. use PCpartpicker. Even if you have to do custom parts for everything,it'll be easier to use pcpartpicker

My rig cost $1900, including peripherals, and you can make some much better decisions than i did.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/thorpj/saved/tZy8TW

Pain? Ur salary is like 3x higher then where i am from. If u live at australia it is easy mode, but the prices when not living there, is something else.

Pain? Ur salary is like 3x higher then where i am from. If u live at australia it is easy mode, but the prices when not living there, is something else.

I get that a lot, but everything is ridiculously expensive, so it's not any easier. eastern AU isn't so bad, but WA....

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Depending on if you need peripherals and the like you can get something along the lines of a 6600k/390. But you will be pushing the budget to the 1700 line then.  

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

Depending on if you need peripherals and the like you can get something along the lines of a 6600k/390. But you will be pushing the budget to the 1700 line then.  

i just whipped together some parts on pcpartpicker http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2nJpcf, and yeah, the $1700 was excl. the peripherals

okay. This isn't to say that your picks are bad, but here's some suggestions

- CPU. If you want this thing to last, and you're getting an aftermarket cpu cooler, then you must want to overclock. By all reports, haswell doesn't overclock well due to temperatures. Devils canyon (ie haswell with better heat management, the 4690k and 4790k) will be a better choice.

- you don't need that cpu cooler. CM Hyper 212 evo is the undisputed king here 

- intel 530: you can get a samsung 850 evo for that price

- gtx 970. if you want it to last a number of years into the future. Well IMO 3.5 GB isn't enough here, but opinions may vary

- kingston hyper x cloud. there's a hyper x 2, and i think it's the same price. I have the hyper x 1st gen, and it's great

That's my 2 cents

okay. This isn't to say that your picks are bad, but here's some suggestions

- CPU. If you want this thing to last, and you're getting an aftermarket cpu cooler, then you must want to overclock. By all reports, haswell doesn't overclock well due to temperatures. Devils canyon (ie haswell with better heat management, the 4690k and 4790k) will be a better choice.

- you don't need that cpu cooler. CM Hyper 212 evo is the undisputed king here 

- intel 530: you can get a samsung 850 evo for that price

- gtx 970. if you want it to last a number of years into the future. Well IMO 3.5 GB isn't enough here, but opinions may vary

- kingston hyper x cloud. there's a hyper x 2, and i think it's the same price. I have the hyper x 1st gen, and it's great

That's my 2 cents

Thanks so much for the suggestions, 

im a bit new to this computer stuff, what did you mean about the CPU, are you saying i should get a 4690k, because i already had one selected, and i chose a 250gb samsung evo which was a lot cheaper, what suggestions do you have for a replacement for a 970, whats the AMD equivalent? and ok, CM hyper 212 it is

In Australia, US pricing is like a half to 2/3 cheaper than what we pay. and at the moment $1USD is like $1.50AU so ouch on conversion.

Shipping anywhere in or to Australia kills any savings, so if you are close to Umart just use pc part picker and add that stuff to your Umart cart, but pay cash/eftpos on savings not credit as everything you just saved is eaten in card fees of 3% added to total price.

I am building a high end gamer from Umart using the following bits http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/CK4xBm . Yeah it's over your budget and no peripherals as I have them already. It will last me ages (I hope) I will only be gaming on 1 monitor but run 2 so I went a high end GPU. I will be adding better displays in the new year as my 2 dell p2210's are rubbish for gaming then again so is my current pc, its more for web surfing and assignment writing.

You could do a decent mid road system for about $1500 but you will only get 1 hdd and a low mid range gpu. Push a bit higher and you can get a r9 290 or 960/70 

i just whipped together some parts on pcpartpicker http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2nJpcf, and yeah, the $1700 was excl. the peripherals

if u switch this to australian currency it will be 2000 dollars with out the CPU and OS becasue it cant find one in australia

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/2nJpcf

Ur motherboard is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive. You could get one for 100 dollars or less. I dont know enough about motherboards to suggest a better one, but this one seems a bit to expensive

i would get a 780 instead of the 970, becasue well the 780 is just better. The gigabyte 780 is also cheaper (the price i look at what the australian pcpartpicker shows, and for u the gigabyte 780 would be cheaper then 970)

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn780oc3gd

Unless ur seriously into style like i am, then ur case is way to expensive

The powersupply might be a bit overkill but, i am not very well versed in power supply things.

im a bit new to this computer stuff, what did you mean about the CPU, are you saying i should get a 4690k, because i already had one selected, and i chose a 250gb samsung evo which was a lot cheaper, what suggestions do you have for a replacement for a 970, whats the AMD equivalent? and ok, CM hyper 212 it is

No worries

okay so what happened was that intel released the 4670k and the 4770k cpus. Due to some kind of design problem, they ran hot, especially when overclocked. Intel released haswell refresh. the same cpus, but they fixed something (i think it was the heat spreader) so they didn't run as hot. those haswell refresh cpus were the 4690k (which i have, and recommend) and the 4790k.

Was it a samsung 840 evo  or 850 evo?

IIRC the 970 sits between the 280x and the 290. Also between the 380x and the 390. Not 100% on that though. 

yeah the coolermaster hyper 212 evo is the go to cpu cooler for... everyone... Although, if you're not going to be overclocking, don't buy a cpu cooler. The stock intel one is fine for that, but do not overclock with it!

also what he said i would suggest I5 4690k. It is truly the best performance/value gpu for gaming out there atm. For what it does it is really cheap.

Also if ur not into overclocking or dont know what it is and dont care, then get the I5 4690. (With out the K, the k means it is unlocked for overclocking.) With out the K the price drops like 10-40 dollars depends where u get it form.

No worries

okay so what happened was that intel released the 4670k and the 4770k cpus. Due to some kind of design problem, they ran hot, especially when overclocked. Intel released haswell refresh. the same cpus, but they fixed something (i think it was the heat spreader) so they didn't run as hot. those haswell refresh cpus were the 4690k (which i have, and recommend) and the 4790k.

Was it a samsung 840 evo  or 850 evo?

IIRC the 970 sits between the 280x and the 290. Also between the 380x and the 390. Not 100% on that though. 

yeah the coolermaster hyper 212 evo is the go to cpu cooler for... everyone... Although, if you're not going to be overclocking, don't buy a cpu cooler. The stock intel one is fine for that, but do not overclock with it!

If you look at benchmarks then 970 is actually better then 280x, 290, 380x, maybe 390 too  aside form the Vram ofc. But that really isnt needed so much for 1080p and he is only using 1 monitor.

If you look at benchmarks then 970 is actually better then 280x, 290, 380x,  aside form the Vram ofc. But that really isnt needed so much for 1080p and he is only using 1 monitor.

Ah thanks, i wasn't solid on it's positioning. I suppose it'll hold well into the future. Agreed on the 970 then?

if u switch this to australian currency it will be 2000 dollars with out the CPU and OS becasue it cant find one in australia

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/2nJpcf

Ur motherboard is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive. You could get one for 100 dollars or less. I dont know enough about motherboards to suggest a better one, but this one seems a bit to expensive

i would get a 780 instead of the 970, becasue well the 780 is just better. The gigabyte 780 is also cheaper (the price i look at what the australian pcpartpicker shows, and for u the gigabyte 780 would be cheaper then 970)

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn780oc3gd

Unless ur seriously into style like i am, then ur case is way to expensive

The powersupply might be a bit overkill but, i am not very well versed in power supply things.

Agreed. 

getting a 4690 also means no need for z97. so we can get a cheaper board.

Not sure about the 780 vs 970. 

PSU? Yeah 650 is a little overkill. But when get into the futureproofing debate. Gah, that word again

Agreed. 

getting a 4690 also means no need for z97. so we can get a cheaper board.

Not sure about the 780 vs 970. 

PSU? Yeah 650 is a little overkill. But when get into the futureproofing debate. Gah, that word again

780 is better and if the pcpicker shows correct australian prices, then it is cheaper then 970 aswell.

If u wont get the 4690k as in overclocking then you also dont need the z97, the z97 is unlocked for overclocking and ment for overclocking. An H97 will do

780 is better and if the pcpicker shows correct australian prices, then it is cheaper then 970 aswell.

If u wont get the 4690k as in overclocking then you also dont need the z97, the z97 is unlocked for overclocking and ment for overclocking. An H97 will do

Okay 780 then.

Guess the second bit was meant for OP, since i said that as well.