Headphone Stand Design Contest Part 2 - 3D Printed Units In Office!

So I watched Linus video on Vessel last night and I can't help but feel like Linus choice wasn't the best option.

I wasn't the only person in the comments section that felt like the winner was a poor design either.

So here is a strawpoll and I am interested to hear what you have to say

http://strawpoll.me/5689485

I personally thought that Patrick Brauers design stuck the perfect balance between aesthetics and functionality with it's included cable management, broad headphone holder and simple yet attractive design.

So Linus please if there is still a chance at least pick Patrick Brauers design as the runner up. I would insta buy 3 of them the second they became available

So far there has been 8 votes on the straw poll but nobody has commented. I wonder why this is?

Agree, the design he choose was ugly and doest fit with Silverstone

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The design he chose wasn't the best but it wasn't bad, it was interesting and (somewhat)innovative which I think is what this contest was about

but the runner up on the other hand....

Jk

yay, people are finally finding this topic.

I feel like the winner was more a case of a like it because it's weird and different. I can't see that being hung off the wall and not feeling out of place.

That runner up though was horribad, especially since Linus kept on going on about cable management, I mean wtf

why is it that whenever someone does a creative contest everyone goes ham on the winner that was picked?

why is it that whenever someone does a creative contest everyone goes ham on the winner that was picked?

You had me at ham.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I dunno, but I was reading the comments on the Vessel video and it was full of comments that echoed my opinions.

It really does seem that the general consensus was the winner wasn't very well liked and Patrick Brauers design was mentioned multiple times

I dunno, but I was reading the comments on the Vessel video and it was full of comments that echoed my opinions.

It really does seem that the general consensus was the winner wasn't very well liked and Patrick Brauers design was mentioned multiple times

well, i'll make my own opinion next week i guess ;)

they probably wont make the winner anyway (so many parts to manufacture). The runner up seems more likely as its a simple and elegant design with few parts. Personally, it doesn't matter what I think. This is a subjectively judged competition, there will always be back lash and it will always be loud. This reminds be of the NZ flag mess that's happening down here right now.

Also remember that this is primarily for LMG to store their mass of headphones so the utility of the additional storage for adapters and wot not is much more important for them.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

they probably wont make the winner anyway (so many parts to manufacture). The runner up seems more likely as its a simple and elegant design with few parts. Personally, it doesn't matter what I think. This is a subjectively judged competition, there will always be back lash and it will always be loud. This reminds be of the NZ flag mess that's happening down here right now.

Also remember that this is primarily for LMG to store their mass of headphones so the utility of the additional storage for adapters and wot not is much more important for them.

I've heard you guys across the ditch are having an interesting time with your flag.

Also I thought it was said that the point behind this competition was that we did the R&D and all Silverstone had to do was manufacture it and sell it world wide. Therefore the winner should have been imo opinion been decided almost like a gameshow. LMG users cast a vote on the top ten designs, after a week or so votes are tallied and than Linus can than declare the winner.

I've heard you guys across the ditch are having an interesting time with your flag.

Also I thought it was said that the point behind this competition was that we did the R&D and all Silverstone had to do was manufacture it and sell it world wide. Therefore the winner should have been imo opinion been decided almost like a gameshow. LMG users cast a vote on the top ten designs, after a week or so votes are tallied and than Linus can than declare the winner.

For a resale product I agree, it could have been done better. Maybe if the top ten were then pitched to Silverstone designers to whittle down to 2 or 3 to be voted on. But, although it will be going resale, I still think the primary client (boom, design language GET REKT ;)) is LMG. 

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

For a resale product I agree, it could have been done better. Maybe if the top ten were then pitched to Silverstone designers to whittle down to 2 or 3 to be voted on. But, although it will be going resale, I still think the primary client (boom, design language GET REKT ;)) is LMG. 

LMG would buy like 10... at most 

Thinking of the thousands Silverstone could sell worldwide with the right design

LMG would buy like 10... at most

Thinking of the thousands Silverstone could sell worldwide with the right design

Yeah, probably.

Yeah, probably.

Crap, did I just change my stance in a discussion on the Internet!?!

Um, think fast!

Screw you! Your wrong! I disagree with you opinion therefor your a horrible person!

Aaaah... Balance is restored...

Crap, did I just change my stance in a discussion on the Internet!?!

Um, think fast!

Screw you! Your wrong! I disagree with you opinion therefor your a horrible person!

Aaaah... Balance is restored...

Hahahaha lmao. Checkmate?

So thoughts?

i'm working my way down the youtube video list, and today youtube decided to put linus at the bottom.

i'm working my way down the youtube video list, and today youtube decided to put linus at the bottom.

ehh, skip ahead dammit :P

ehh, skip ahead dammit :P

well, i watched. and i see why he picked it (over pat's design)

while pat's design is MUCH more sleek and understated, the design he picked is much more functional. if i had to pick a wall mounted headphone rest, if i had the choice, i'd pick one that could hold my hyperx cloud's microphone (and other accessories) as well.

yes, its very bulky, but its also -by far- the most functional one. and well.. its linus.. someone who wears socks with sandals clearly goes for function over form xD

the moment i saw the winning design i could picture 3-4 of them in my clouset, holding different headphones.

also, if you look at the metal render the guy sent in, its a VERY nice design, and its size may actually be an aesthetic choice over it being a downer.

well, i watched. and i see why he picked it (over pat's design)

while pat's design is MUCH more sleek and understated, the design he picked is much more functional. if i had to pick a wall mounted headphone rest, if i had the choice, i'd pick one that could hold my hyperx cloud's microphone (and other accessories) as well.

yes, its very bulky, but its also -by far- the most functional one. and well.. its linus.. someone who wears socks with sandals clearly goes for function over form xD

the moment i saw the winning design i could picture 3-4 of them in my clouset, holding different headphones.

also, if you look at the metal render the guy sent in, its a VERY nice design, and its size may actually be an aesthetic choice over it being a downer.

Hmm, I still think it comes out from the wall too much. The final design is probably gonna stick out what 30cm? Not sure on the dimensions but's a slot. Most of the other design have half the depth.

Hmm, I still think it comes out from the wall too much. The final design is probably gonna stick out what 30cm? Not sure on the dimensions but's a slot. Most of the other design have half the depth.

from what i've seen, both "rings" seem to be about 5-6cm forward, so totalling around.. 12-15cm? yes, its big, but its also VERY functional.

EDIT: thats 5 inches for imperial plebs.

from what i've seen, both "rings" seem to be about 5-6cm forward, so totalling around.. 12-15cm? yes, its big, but its also VERY functional.

EDIT: thats 5 inches for imperial plebs.

No way, looking at my can's they are at least 10cm so that design would have to be more than that

I didn't think any of them looked particularly exciting to be honest. 

I didn't think any of them looked particularly exciting to be honest. 

Do you think a stand needs to be exciting?

Pleasing and functional imo