Open CL vs CUDA

GeekaWhat

I'll be building an X99 build with 32GB of DDR4, a 5820K with Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler, 4 6TB WD Red drives in RAID 5, 1 256GB  850 EVO as my boot drive and 2 500GB 840 EVOs which I happen to have lying around in RAID 0 for a fast drive in which to edit and capture 4K onto. I am wondering from a value perspective what difference (in premiere, media encder and after effects) a GTX 960 would make in comparison to a GTX 970 and GTX 980 and what difference a R9 380 would make in comparison to a R9 390 or R9 390X  for rendering times

Thanks, 

James  :D

The Adobe Suite is mostly CPU-based, so try to dump money into something like a 5930k. You can't go wrong either way. CUDA does support 3D RayTracing if you're into that.

However the game changes when you bring GPU accelerated plugins into the mix.

It largely depends on the software and cards. Looking at Maxwell - I can already tell you it will be less powerful than Kepler or GCN simply because the lesser amount of sheer hardware on the PCB.

When OpenCL is properly supported - as with Sony Vegas - GCN just steamrolls over GM and GK cards. Hence why AMD were the ones used for bitcoin mining - their cards have much better compute potential currently.

If only CUDA is supported then a Kepler-based GK200 chip is what you want for speed - Titan, 780, Titan Black, 780 Ti - those are the best options for CUDA and doing actual work.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It largely depends on the software and cards. Looking at Maxwell - I can already tell you it will be less powerful than Kepler or GCN simply because the lesser amount of sheer hardware on the PCB.

When OpenCL is properly supported - as with Sony Vegas - GCN just steamrolls over GM and GK cards. Hence why AMD were the ones used for bitcoin mining - their cards have much better compute potential currently.

If only CUDA is supported then a Kepler-based GK200 chip is what you want for speed - Titan, 780, Titan Black, 780 Ti - those are the best options for CUDA and doing actual work.

So in your opinions would you say AMD is a much better value option/