DAC for HD 600?

Does it need a DAC if they're loud enough? does it improve quality or just for volume?

DAC is to reduce the noise floor. Do you mean an amp?

Not sure but i want to know if these things improve quality on lower volumes

Might help to get terminology right before spending $.

lol you're not wrong. I was actually planning on getting nothing, but gonna see what the deal is

lol you're not wrong. I was actually planning on getting nothing, but gonna see what the deal is

What is your current set up anyway?

What is your current set up anyway?

steelseries siberia v2, straight to mobo audio jack.

steelseries siberia v2, straight to mobo audio jack.

So why are you asking about the HD600?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

So why are you asking about the HD600?

Read the first post

What's the budget.

AUD and i spose $50 but I dont even know if it helps, if it does maybe $100

AUD and i spose $50 but I dont even know if it helps, if it does maybe $100

You might need a wee amp like the Fiio E10K to overcome sad motherboard audio out.

Read the first post

I... I did... You just asked a question, seemingly out of left field... You didn't say anything about plans to buy them, or anything like that... So that's why I asked... Seriously, does nobody use complete thoughts anymore? (sorry, that's a holdover from my girlfriend, who seems to be in the habit of verbalizing thoughts without any context...)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I... I did... You just asked a question, seemingly out of left field... You didn't say anything about plans to buy them, or anything like that... So that's why I asked... Seriously, does nobody use complete thoughts anymore? (sorry, that's a holdover from my girlfriend, who seems to be in the habit of verbalizing thoughts without any context...)

Alright. I'll add a bit more context, i want to get the headphones but im not sure if i need an amp/dac since they're higher end - just asking

Alright. I'll add a bit more context, i want to get the headphones but im not sure if i need an amp/dac since they're higher end - just asking

Thank you :) 

First off, unless there is something glaringly wrong with your motherboard audio, you will probably be totally fine with just using your motherboard for a DAC, as modern motherboards have pretty nice DACs nowadays. As far as amping, you might want to get one, since motherboards don't always have the kind of power that you would want for the HD600 (please note: I'm basing this off of my personal experience with the HD650 that I used to own). I found that it would get loud enough for me on something like one of the new Asus boards, with that Supreme FX stuff, but a friend of mine found it to be too quiet. I personally tend to listen at fairly quiet volumes, so your experience may differ from mine. As such, a cheap amp would probably do you well. If you can spend $100 AUD on a DAC/amp, and your motherboard has optical out, I would recommend the SMSL SD 793-II. It's what I use and I think it's great. It's about $65 USD, but you should keep in mind that you will need to purchase an optical cable separately, as it doesn't come with one. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Thank you :)

First off, unless there is something glaringly wrong with your motherboard audio, you will probably be totally fine with just using your motherboard for a DAC, as modern motherboards have pretty nice DACs nowadays. As far as amping, you might want to get one, since motherboards don't always have the kind of power that you would want for the HD600 (please note: I'm basing this off of my personal experience with the HD650 that I used to own). I found that it would get loud enough for me on something like one of the new Asus boards, with that Supreme FX stuff, but a friend of mine found it to be too quiet. I personally tend to listen at fairly quiet volumes, so your experience may differ from mine. As such, a cheap amp would probably do you well. If you can spend $100 AUD on a DAC/amp, and your motherboard has optical out, I would recommend the SMSL SD 793-II. It's what I use and I think it's great. It's about $65 USD, but you should keep in mind that you will need to purchase an optical cable separately, as it doesn't come with one. 

I use my siberias at 30% volume, which is why i asked about the quality, volume/amp shouldnt be a problem because of this. 

I use my siberias at 30% volume, which is why i asked about the quality, volume/amp shouldnt be a problem because of this. 

Then you should be fine, provided the HD600 doesn't have a sensitivity that's too much lower than the siberias...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Most likely you wont need an external amp or dac for HD600. I bought mine because I bought it for a long term use, not only for the specified headphone I had