QWERTY keyboards VS Dvorak?!

LukeS

So my uncle is visiting, and he's critisized my Razer Blackwidow 2014... Against a Dvorak keyboard. Has anyone heard of it? Opinions?!

Anyway, my current typing speed is an average of 120 WPM. He claims that Dvorak can get me up to 200 wpm. What's your experience.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

So my uncle is visiting, and he's critisized my Razer Blackwidow 2014... Against a Dvorak keyboard. Has anyone heard of it? Opinions?!

Anyway, my current typing speed is an average of 120 WPM. He claims that Dvorak can get me up to 200 wpm. What's your experience.

watch Tarans video on it

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

dvorak is designed with all the common letters on the middle row, for faster typing.

qwerty was designed with the common letters on the top and bottom row, to make ye olde typewriter not jam as often.

--

dvorak is appareantly 20-30% faster, if you can be bothered learning a new keyboard layout.

It makes more sense, but it would be very difficult to adopt.

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

it felt like it would be alot faster for me when I switched for a week, but I just was too lazy to re learn.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Ok, glad to know. Yea sooo imma reprogram just to prove him right then.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Now I want to try dvorak, if I can figure out how to move my keycaps on a Logitech g105...

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

dvorak is designed with all the common letters on the middle row, for faster typing.

qwerty was designed with the common letters on the top and bottom row, to make ye olde typewriter not jam as often.

--

dvorak is appareantly 20-30% faster, if you can be bothered learning a new keyboard layout.

watch the video

watch Tarans video on it

Link plz?

Link plz?

its like right there but here it is again 

Now I want to try dvorak, if I can figure out how to move my keycaps on a Logitech g105...

Just pull the keys and move them lol

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

some keyboards have different height keys for different rows on the keyboard 

its like right there but here it is again 

Saw it lol... My uncles totally lmaoed when he heard "from mr dvorak himself"

Saw it lol... My uncles totally lmaoed when he heard "from mr dvorak himself"

haha k

I would convert to Dvorak, but I have to use my schools qwerty keyboards every day.

dvorak is definitely way better

not only is it faster, its also healthier for your hands and less chances of getting those nasty finger disabilities when you get older

the onyl thing is that qwerty is already mainstream so using dvorak requires practice, like switching to a new language, and you need to bring your own keyboard if you use other peoples PCs

oh and you have a razer keyboard, so yeah, quality just out the window as well

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

some keyboards have different height keys for different rows on the keyboard 

That doesn't have anything to do with caps, (usually) that's just a height difference for the switches themselves

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

That doesn't have anything to do with caps, (usually) that's just a height difference for the switches themselves

Psst Razer synapse 2.0 REPROGRAM... And he says in the video you can just change the language.

Membrane keyboard?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Membrane keyboard?

So? I could pull and rearrange the keys when I had a G105.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

That's not true at all. Most, if not all modern (mechanical, anyway) keyboards use a flat PCB and flat plate (if they have one) and use different height keycaps...

I would convert to Dvorak, but I have to use my schools qwerty keyboards every day.

I mean, both Windows and Mac OS (and probably Linux) have very easy ways to switch back and forth between the different layouts. Better yet, just get a pok3r and take it with you when you go to school...

Or you could spend some time learning to touch type...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

So? I could pull and rearrange the keys when I had a G105.

Ok, I'll try it.  Didn't know if it was possible on it.

Spoiler

there was a keyboard i remember seeing a while back, that actually had a switch in the back to automatically switch layouts so you wouldnt have to rebind every single key(you'd still have to move the physical keys around though) but i dont remember what it was..

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

there was a keyboard i remember seeing a while back, that actually had a switch in the back to automatically switch layouts so you wouldnt have to rebind every single key(you'd still have to move the physical keys around though) but i dont remember what it was..

Most nice keyboards (and I mean actually nice ones, not "gamer" ones) nowadays have dip switches on the back, and most support switching between Qwerty, Dvorak and Colemak. (Of particular note is the Pok3r, since it's so comparatively inexpensive.)

But still, you should just learn to touch type it from the get go, at which point moving the caps around becomes pointless. And it can be especially annoying to move the caps around, since that changes where the labels are for the FN layer, which is where it would actually be nice to have the labels.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)