Need Help with My Hard Drive

Asad1111

Hi! I have a hard disk already installed on my PC but it is only 340 GB. So, I am deciding to buy and install a 2nd Hard disk. I have 3 of 5 SATA connectors available on my motherboard. One SATA connector is connected to my current Hard Disk and the second one is connected with the disk drive. Therefore, I have no problem with my SATA connectors. And I also have a space for my 2nd hard drive in my CPU. The only problem I am having is with the power supply. I dont have the cable to power the 2nd hard disk. I have a 250V power supply. By the way, I have an old, branded PC. Can anyone guide me that how I can power up my 2nd hard disk?

Thanks in advance. 

:)

Do you want to keep the data on the old hard drive? Also power supplies are very cheap, just upgrade and get a new one.

CPU: I5-7600k(5.1GHz)                                                       RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED(2x8GB @ 3200MHz/CAS-15)              Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO                                                      Storage: 850 EVO 250GB - 2x(1TB WD Blue(Raid 0))                                   PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2

Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO                                       GPU: G1 GTX 970                                                                                                  OS: Windows 10

Do you want to keep the data on the old hard drive? Also power supplies are very cheap, just upgrade and get a new one.

PSUs aren't cheap if you get a good one.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

PSUs aren't cheap if you get a good one.

PSUs are quite cheap @ the lowest watts. Here is an EVGA one with a discount, quite cheap, and decent brand. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438015

CPU: I5-7600k(5.1GHz)                                                       RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED(2x8GB @ 3200MHz/CAS-15)              Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO                                                      Storage: 850 EVO 250GB - 2x(1TB WD Blue(Raid 0))                                   PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W B2

Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO                                       GPU: G1 GTX 970                                                                                                  OS: Windows 10

I think you could just use a splitter and/or converter (I assume you need SATA power or Molex).

... And I also have a space for my 2nd hard drive in my CPU. ...

I'm not sure what you mean by this, as far as I know there is no limit to the number of drives you can support with any given CPU, other than the number of SATA ports available on the chipset, so don't worry about that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

PSUs are quite cheap @ the lowest watts. Here is an EVGA one with a discount, quite cheap, and decent brand. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438015

I'm pretty sure there's a 750 EVGA B2 PSU for $49.99... For the wattage that's rather good. (Plus, it gives the OP huge amounts of upgrade room.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I'm pretty sure there's a 750 EVGA B2 PSU for $49.99... For the wattage that's rather good. (Plus, it gives the OP huge amounts of upgrade room.

That is what I have currently, and I didn't realize that there was that big of a wattage PSU for such a cheap price. I got mine on sale for like $60.

There's an XFX 750W psu right now for $30. Great deal. If you don't want to spend that much though you can just get a molex to sata adapter. They cost like $5. 

~snip~

Hey there Asad1111,

What PSU do you currently have? It would be helpful if you post your whole build. 
Check what available cables do you have on the PSU (as well as if you have multiple ports on the current cable) and see if you can use an adapter. Other than that you should be completely fine with adding more drives to your system. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

@Captain_WD I have a Hp compaq dx2390. And yeah the cable which is connected to my hard disk have multiple modules type things connected with my hard disk power cable. And yeah, I have 250V power supply, if I use an adaptor for powering up, will my power supply be able to power both with 1 cable?

~snip~

You shouldn't have problems having another drive in that system with that PSU. Although 250W PSU is a bit low, additional HDD shouldn't increase your loads much. I believe you can easily connect another drive to that cable :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/