Can hyper threading take away from gaming?

I was thinking of buying an Intel Core i7 4790k for my gaming build. I know that is not needed, but I would like to do other heavy work on it. I know a huge benefit of an i7 is hyperthreading, and that this feature does not help much with gaming, but I'd like to know, does it take away from gaming performance, or just leave it as it is. All help is appreciated, thank you. 

No, it just isn't utilized while gaming, and works more so for a multi task enviroment, btw the 4790k is really good for a higher end gaming rig 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Maybe in future games might be optimized to benefit from HT but it doesnt seem so at the moment, though for heavy work and content creation then yeah i7's are good :).

Just think of an i7 as an i5 with extra ketchup :3.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

I mean in theory- it actually decreases performance overall... But increases mult threaded application performance- because its easier to jump from one task to the other when you're putting half the effort. So yes in theory you'd get like a 1% benefit out of it- but most games are multi threaded these days- and you have hundreds of threads running on your computer anyways- its not like your game is the only thread running.

So no- its *MOSTLY* a moot point, more likely to get performance by oc gpu or cpu.

I was thinking of buying an Intel Core i7 4790k for my gaming build. I know that is not needed, but I would like to do other heavy work on it. I know a huge benefit of an i7 is hyperthreading, and that this feature does not help much with gaming, but I'd like to know, does it take away from gaming performance, or just leave it as it is. All help is appreciated, thank you. 

It will outperform all i5 CPUs in literally any task. But if you want the best gaming performance out of your chip, just disable hyperthreading in the BIOS. Yes, you can disable hyperthreading for higher overclocking potential.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC