CPU Temp spikes during loading

Hello everyone.

I am having trouble recently with a strange issue during gaming.

After entering a loading screen (or sometimes a spectator cam in insurgency) i will get about 5 seconds of increased temperature from the normal 70 degrees up to 90-100 degrees

While i don't think these 5 seconds are much of a threat to the health of my PC, My Noctua fans will rev up to 3000RPM, making it frustrating to me and others.

The games i notice this happening in is:

The new battlefront from EA

Insurgency

Dirty bomb

Americas army proving grounds 

The forest 

And probably a few more i have forgotten.

My Specs:

i5 4690k OC'd to 4.2GHZ

Corsair H80i cooler with arctic silver 5 paste

8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHZ

Gigabyte 760 Windforce

Corsair rm850 power supply 

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

I think it might be prudent to first examine why/how the temps are that high at all, and then get around to why they are spiking.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I recently replaced the original thermal paste, both my fans/pump are running

During gameplay they do not spike, only during loading

I recently replaced the original thermal paste, both my fans/pump are running

During gameplay they do not spike, only during loading

My point is that chip at that speed with that cooler should not be sitting at 70 under load. And getting up to 100 is seriously messed up; that's literally the maximum the chip will allow

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah, i thought the same, might upgrade to a H100i when i have the money to spare

Yeah, i thought the same, might upgrade to a H100i when i have the money to spare

I would - if I recall correctly it was the H80i that Linus compared to the H100i and an air cooler in one video, and of the 3, the H80i was the worst.

Still, that's a little hot - I would investigate why there is so much heat coming off that chip

I have the h80i GT and it works great. Keeps my i7-6700k around 20C

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

I have the h80i GT and it works great. Keeps my i7-6700k around 20C

What's the temperature in your room?  That would be impossible if your room temp was 20 or higher without a phase system

What's the temperature in your room?  That would be impossible if your room temp was 20 or higher without a phase system

my room is usually around 72F. so that would be around 22C

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

my room is usually around 72F. so that would be around 22C

Then you know it's physically and thermodynamically impossible for your CPU to run at or below the ambient temperature

Thats the ambient temperature of my room. I do not know off hand the ambient temperature of my case. regardless i use SpeedFan to check temps on my PC. It may not be 100% correct but i dont see how it could be far off.

Thats the ambient temperature of my room. I do not know off hand the ambient temperature of my case. regardless i use SpeedFan to check temps on my PC. It may not be 100% correct but i dont see how it could be far off.

Well the CPU (by the laws of physics) will be at or above the temperature of the case, which, unless your case is entirely fans, at least slightly above the ambient temperature of the room, so if your room is at 22 C the CPU is going to be (my guess) around 26 on idle (give or take a few degrees).  What is not a guess is that it must and will be no lower than 22 C.

There are tools like CPU Z and HW Monitor that tallow you to easily check the temperature of your CPU and other components.  Or you could just watch it in the BIOS for that matter if you only want to know idle temps

I should also mention that this is not under much load. I can use multiple monitoring tools, this is no a problem. Then again i am not having issues with my system at all..

I should also mention that this is not under much load. I can use multiple monitoring tools, this is no a problem. Then again i am not having issues with my system at all..

I know it's not under load.  I'm just saying there is no way your CPU is at 20 and the room is at 22, so something is off

Im going to look tonight for sure. I am interested to know what the temps are. I am going to use the bios to check so there is no software discrepancies. 

Anything you can recommend i try to figure out why the temps are so high? as i said i replaced the thermal paste, that actually reduced it by 20 degrees, but it will still spike.

With the corsair paste it would be at 90+ under load. It never used to run this hot, i have had it overclocked since the release of H1Z1 back in January and have only had such high temps recently

Anything you can recommend i try to figure out why the temps are so high? as i said i replaced the thermal paste, that actually reduced it by 20 degrees, but it will still spike.

With the corsair paste it would be at 90+ under load. It never used to run this hot, i have had it overclocked since the release of H1Z1 back in January and have only had such high temps recently

It's a little suspicious that changing paste improved temps by 20 degrees.  You really shouldn't see more than a degree or two between pastes... it makes me wonder how you are putting it on... could you describe it or port a picture from the internet that looks like what you did?

The corsair paste was stock, I didn't apply it. Luckily i took pictures during the re-applying process

Here are photos of both the CPU and pump with the corsair paste. (sorry about amateur photography)

CPU

12092445_1153306774684208_1917465434_n.j

Pump

12047816_1153306778017541_891951096_n.jp

And the CPU after I re-applied paste

12048987_1153306794684206_183980520_n.jp

What voltage setting are you running to get that Overclock, it may be that this is higher then it needs to be and will typically be the cause of the increased temps if your volting more then needed to be stable at that frequency.

CPU: Intel i7-4790K | GPU: Asus Strix 2080 Super OC | COOLER:Corsair H110i GT | MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz PSU: Corsair RM 1000 | CASE: Corsair C70 | MOUSE: Corsair M95 KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 RGB SSD: Samsung 256GBx2 Raid0 | OS: Windows 10 | DISPLAY: Dell S3220dgf

The corsair paste was stock, I didn't apply it. Luckily i took pictures during the re-applying process

Here are photos of both the CPU and pump with the corsair paste. (sorry about amateur photography)

CPU

*snip*

Pump

And the CPU after I re-applied paste

Yeah that first pic doesn't look good lol

But in the last one where you show what you put on, I don't see any.  What pattern did you use?