Moving a Drive to another PC

GreenEagle

Hello,

I have seen on LTT videos before that linus moves drives for example in test rigs.

Would it be possible to move my whole drive with my os on to a new pc without any trouble having to get a new windows 10 licence key?#

Thanks.

I wouldn't do it with an OS installed. Windows can get funny with new hardware especially new motherboards and CPU's.

I wouldn't do it with an OS installed. Windows can get funny with new hardware especially new motherboards and CPU's.

I aware of that, I don't want to pay over £80 for an operating system again though.

I aware of that, I don't want to pay over £80 for an operating system again though.

You should be able to contact Microsoft, tell them you moved the drive to a new system, and have the reactivate it for you.

Then buy a key from Kinguin or G2A if your windows license is not OEM you should be fine to deactivate it and reinstall though.

Then buy a key from Kinguin or G2A if your windows license is not OEM you should be fine to deactivate it and reinstall though.

Okay, So when for instance the build is complete, I can deactivate my current pc and move the drive and reuse the licence key?

Okay, So when for instance the build is complete, I can deactivate my current pc and move the drive and reuse the licence key?

If the key is not OEM, yes. I did it when I moved from Sandy Bridge to Haswell.

If the key is not OEM, yes. I did it when I moved from Sandy Bridge to Haswell.

How can I check if OEM or Retail? I saw if you check the product ID, if it has oem on it is is oem if a number it is retail? Am I correct?

How can I check if OEM or Retail? I saw if you check the product ID, if it has oem on it is is oem if a number it is retail? Am I correct?

Did you buy it in a retail box or did you buy an OEM key from somewhere? 

Did you buy it in a retail box or did you buy an OEM key from somewhere? 

I can't remember, All I remember is it was windows 8 until I got a free windows 10 upgrade