[Help] Finding Driver for Unkown Audio Device on Old XP Machine

Go to solution Solved by tbroadwater2010,

I would look on the MOBO website (or if its like Dell, their downloads) for a chipset driver. It sounds like the Audio chipset on the mobo was not installed. This could cause no audio since you said your audio comes from the mobo itself.

Greetings!

​I have an old computer that I have recently reinstalled Windows XP on for retro gaming (don't worry, its air-gapped) the only issue is that I can't get any sound out of it. I have identified that I am missing a driver, but this computer is from the old XP days so I have no idea what hardware it has. I can't seem to get Windows to check online (I've got a USB WiFi adapter that I only plug in when absolutely-necessary) for the driver, and I don't seem to have a proper sound card in there, just an audio jack on the Mobo and case. It also doesn't help that the last time I worked extensively with XP, I knew nothing advanced, not even copy/paste (man, I've come a long way...)

​Anyways, any help would be greatly-appreciated.

​-Ryan

My setup: Intel i7 4790k, ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX Motherboard, Team Elite Plus 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD, Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer, NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower, Corsair 600W 80+ Bronze ATX PSU, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleave Bearing CPU Cooler, NZXT Aperture M Card Reader

I would look on the MOBO website (or if its like Dell, their downloads) for a chipset driver. It sounds like the Audio chipset on the mobo was not installed. This could cause no audio since you said your audio comes from the mobo itself.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

​I'm having some difficulty identifying the MoBo. I've figured out that it's ASUS, but beyond that, nothing. I'm going to crack open the case and see if there are any identifiable markings on it.

Update: Mobo identified, Asus drivers found, about to download.

My setup: Intel i7 4790k, ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX Motherboard, Team Elite Plus 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD, Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer, NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower, Corsair 600W 80+ Bronze ATX PSU, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleave Bearing CPU Cooler, NZXT Aperture M Card Reader

I knew you would get it. Its all of the mobo 99% of the time.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

​I'm having some difficulty identifying the MoBo. I've figured out that it's ASUS, but beyond that, nothing. I'm going to crack open the case and see if there are any identifiable markings on it.

Update: Mobo identified, Asus drivers found, about to download.

just look at the hardware id of the device in device manager and google that device id

will basically always tell you what hardware it is

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile