Windows Update Running OK?

Kevguy

I installed a LEGIT copy of windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a new PC build last night from CD.  The install went fine and activated without a hitch.  Installed the mobo drivers and got the internet running on it to update windows.  When I tried to update windows it wouldn't do it, it would just say "searching for updates" with the blue thing scrolling across.  I Ieft it for 2 hours and came back, still nothing.  Did a fresh Windows 7 install again, repeated and still the same thing.

I finally got peeded off and purchased online a Windows 8.1 pro key. Installed Win 8.1, put the key in, activated right away no probs.  Same issue with windows update....keeps looking for updates.  

Does anybody know if there was an issue with the Windows update server yesterday?

Thanks. 

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

I updated an xp machine yesterday

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Happened to me as well when I first tried to update to Windows 10, it has to verify your computer or something like that. It's basically just a waiting game.

Happened to me as well when I first tried to update to Windows 10, it has to verify your computer or something like that. It's basically just a waiting game.

Never had that issue before with updating a new machine.  After activation updates went fine right away.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

Do you need to have the icon in the taskbar for the free upgrade to Windows 10 to actually do it?   I want to put win 10 on this machine and I was going to do it through the win7/win8 free upgrade.  I have a windows 10 bootable usb stick, but I don't have the upgrde icon in the task bar.  Windows 8.1 is activated, so do you know if I can upgrade now or do I have to wait for that stupid icon thingy in the taskbar?  That's why I was trying to run Windows update so I can get all that there and get it to offer me a win 10 upgrade.  Do I need to do that or can I just do it now?

I'm working as technician so I do a lot of fresh installations. I came across this issue about two months ago.

You can delete everything in C:\windows\softwaredistribution\download reboot and run windows updates again. This worked a few times.

You can use ccleaner and run "cleaner" and "registry". This has worked, too.

I'm working as technician so I do a lot of fresh installations. I came across this issue about two months ago.

You can delete everything in C:\windows\softwaredistribution\download reboot and run windows updates again. This worked a few times.

You can use ccleaner and run "cleaner" and "registry". This has worked, too.

Thanks for your input.  I appreciate it very much.   I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks for your input.  I appreciate it very much.   I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight.

The update you are looking for is KB3035583. You can also watch this

So, I went home to lunch.  I fired the PC up just for kicks to see what the Windows Update would do.

Just as it booted up, I didn't even to get to go to the Windows Update icon but the damn thing is looking to install windows 10!

So, I left it running installing Win10 and came back to work.