Clueless Projects: "WORST CAGE SCENARIO"

cluelessgenius
post-83157-0-40362900-1444726248.png

OK guys this is it. After a long planning phase im finally going to start the process of building it. 

So i have been planning this build for a long time now as some of you may already know. but this time its finnally happpening. slowly but still op is finally delivering :D

So here is the basic idea:
i live alone in my apartment so im gonna put up a fake wall in my living room / kitchen / office / man cave :D.
the idea is to have hexagonial drawer that contain all the hardware.
the idea is to seperate the hardware by function. so one drawer is cooling one is pcie one is storage and so on..
in the end those are planned to be motorized and controlled by a raspberyy by or maybe ill get a beagle bone for it to have more pins
so yes that is about it as to what i can explain beforehand. the rest i think will be easier to explain with some renderings ... hope you have as much fun following as i do even planning this puppy.

Mobo : ASUS X99-Deluxe

CPU  : Intel Core i7-5820K

RAM  : Corsair Vengeance LPX black DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2133, CL13-15-15-28

PSU  : (keeping my current) Corsair RM Series RM850

GPU : not sure yet, at first ill stay with my current 

HDD/SSD : everything i already got and then ill in the future but for now im not planning a storage upgrade

Rads : EK-CoolStream SE 240 (open for suggestions on this one)

Fans : Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS  or  Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM (not sure yet and also open for discussion)

im sorry for the poor quality im gonna fix that

post-83157-0-55051600-1444211763.png
https://tinkercad.com/embed/lKFeviFA7mS

post-83157-0-61313300-1444922907_thumb.j

post-83157-0-33255600-1444379740.png

https://tinkercad.com/embed/eDm86rJ5MeQ

post-83157-0-33409100-1444987155_thumb.j

post-83157-0-55596300-1444379787.png

https://tinkercad.com/embed/5rkBoSFWFUv

reworked it a little and hope this will work

post-83157-0-34854200-1444728636.png

https://tinkercad.com/embed/hjWilvIzvdY

post-83157-0-43581800-1444379838.png

https://tinkercad.com/embed/aLdlOmtpvB5

post-83157-0-36757800-1444379875.png

https://tinkercad.com/embed/j2UWEWW0AQo

Feel free to leave comments below about what you think of it and suggestions are always welcome
*also im still open for names ;)

Edited by cluelessgenius

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Don't really understand how a hexagonal cage is going to work as a draw inside of a wall.. Elaborate on the idea more?

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't really understand how a hexagonal cage is going to work as a draw inside of a wall.. Elaborate on the idea more?

as stated i will give detailed explaination and more renderings after work ;)

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

so i added renders for the other cages. now that its weekend im gonna do a more complete render of the wall and its function. just give me some time for animation rendering and uploading to youtube ;)

also full explaination text is also coming up

I'm not so sure if that radiator tray will work. There is no exhaust so it might get a little toasty, unless you have wide open air on the sides where I presume the tubes will be going. It looks very interesting nonetheless, and I am excited to see what you do.

I'm not so sure if that radiator tray will work. There is no exhaust so it might get a little toasty, unless you have wide open air on the sides where I presume the tubes will be going. It looks very interesting nonetheless, and I am excited to see what you do.

the idea is to suck in air through the hexagonial front and exhaust through the six square sides. but i will elaborate more on that this weekend when i finally got a little time to do this properly

Hope it works. Definitely following.

Are you planning to 3D print the parts, or build them?

Yep, waiting to see how this goes together.

Subbed

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

- snip-

This project is gonna be awesome!

But be aware that the PCIe risers will need quite a lot of space. If you use the 100$ 3M risers (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8KC3-0726-0500/3M12026-ND/3641403) you can bend them well but you still need ~5 cm per card. Also what are you using 6 PCIe cards for?^^

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

But be aware that the PCIe risers will need quite a lot of space. If you use the 100$ 3M risers (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8KC3-0726-0500/3M12026-ND/3641403) you can bend them well but you still need ~5 cm per card. Also what are you using 6 PCIe cards for?^^

Holy crap that is expensive

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Holy crap that is expensive

For up to 20 cm you can get 5$ ribbon cable based once. I even managed to get a 30cm ribbon cable riser working with shielding made out of aluminum foil.

But it was not 100% stable. I do run a 250mm and a 500mm 3M riser now and it runns perfectly.

The ferqency of PCIe is super high and the only way to get it working is aperfectly impedance matched path between the transmitter and the receiver. Since the impedance of the ribbon cables is terrible mismatched you get a lot of refections on the line. But avoiding reflections is the most important part in high speed signal transmittion.

For me it's astonishing it works with ribbon based cables at all.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Hope it works. Definitely following.

Are you planning to 3D print the parts, or build them?

gonna build it from aluminium since i dont own a 3d printer and i need it to be sturdy

im just trying to account for for all pcie slots on the mobo or as many as possible in the end its probably gonna be 2 gpu at the most

im just trying to account for for all pcie slots on the mobo or as many as possible in the end its probably gonna be 2 gpu at the most

Than you can plan for 6 slots, but only buy and install as many riser as you really need.

Than you can plan for 6 slots, but only buy and install as many riser as you really need.

would be one plan yes thanks. i also probably gonna start with the mobo tray cause it can fit my whole system if needed

Overview rendering finished last night gonna upload it after work ;)

video is up but turned out pretty bad im definitly gonna fix that

Subbed

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

so i did a litlle research and have come to the sad conclusion that ill have to rethink the pcie cage given all the problems with pcie risers of the length needed.

maybe ill make a seperate cage for each card but since  i need to bundle at least the graphics cards for possible sli ill need to do some figuring out :( ideas are appreaciated

guy im curious im seeing a lot of builds with sponsors. im not desperate for a sponsor but interesting non the less. maybe as i progress and show dedication something will come up or should i contact somebody directly?

guy im curious im seeing a lot of builds with sponsors. im not desperate for a sponsor but interesting non the less. maybe as i progress and show dedication something will come up or should i contact somebody directly?

You have to contact a company to get sponsored. You send them an email, give them a layout of your plan, and ask them if they'd like to sponsor your build with their products. If they find your plan interesting they'll do what they can to help out. I've never done it myself, but I believe that is how it works from what I've read of those who have done it. 

You're plan is pretty dang interesting so I say it's worth a shot.

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

You have to contact a company to get sponsored. You send them an email, give them a layout of your plan, and ask them if they'd like to sponsor your build with their products. If they find your plan interesting they'll do what they can to help out. I've never done it myself, but I believe that is how it works from what I've read of those who have done it. 

You're plan is pretty dang interesting so I say it's worth a shot.

thanks ill think about how to contact. mainly this came to my head when i saw what quality pcie extenders cost :P. maybe i should make some more detailed blueprints and re-render that video before but ill definitly get to that and i have to say the idea of a sponsor gave me even more motivation to make this happen.

@All: guys strap this is gonna be awesome, well at least im hyped about it :D

thanks ill think about how to contact. mainly this came to my head when i saw what quality pcie extenders cost :P. maybe i should make some more detailed blueprints and re-render that video before but ill definitly get to that and i have to say the idea of a sponsor gave me even more motivation to make this happen.

@All: guys strap this is gonna be awesome, well at least im hyped about it :D

Awesome, I wish you the best of luck! I'm excited for this build

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS