Windows transfer

I'm looking into buying a new SSD for my laptop. So I'm wondering if I can move my old  Windows install from my old HDD on to the new SSD?

yup there are many tools to clone the system 1:1, for example acronis

IMO sometimes its better to make a clean cut and do a fresh installation ( to get rid of unseen malware or other stuff you dont want )

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Just do a clean install

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

Just saying, most of the SSDs you purchase (samsung for sure) have cloning software that come with them. They are usually pretty good. Go with their software just in case something goes wrong ;)

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Yes you can. There is a bunch of tools out there to perform the task but as others have said, you may be better off just doing a fresh install. Sometimes this is not possible with a retail purchase laptop as many do not come with the COMPLETE operating system re-installation discs anymore. (They put it on a partition on the existing hard drive.) This was a cost savings measure on behalf of the manufacturer. You may not be able to do it because you no longer have a program installer or key you really need to use. You can contact the laptop manufacturer usually and request a re-install disc for the operating system and they will send one to you for a small charge. That way you can do a clean install. You can purchase a "Retail" version of the operating system but you will have to find any of the missing drivers that windows does not recognize as this version is not customized for your laptop.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Yes you can. There is a bunch of tools out there to perform the task but as others have said, you may be better off just doing a fresh install. Sometimes this is not possible with a retail purchase laptop as many do not come with the COMPLETE operating system re-installation discs anymore. (They put it on a partition on the existing hard drive.) This was a cost savings measure on behalf of the manufacturer. You may not be able to do it because you no longer have a program installer or key you really need to use. You can contact the laptop manufacturer usually and request a re-install disc for the operating system and they will send one to you for a small charge. That way you can do a clean install. You can purchase a "Retail" version of the operating system but you will have to find any of the missing drivers that windows does not recognize as this version is not customized for your laptop.

Another way it could be done, assuming you have a retail laptop, is to clone the laptop to the new hard drive and then factory restore the laptop from there. this has worked for me and usually ends up in a way cleaner, way faster laptop.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Another way it could be done, assuming you have a retail laptop, is to clone the laptop to the new hard drive and then factory restore the laptop from there. this has worked for me and usually ends up in a way cleaner, way faster laptop.

Didn't think of that one. Good call!

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score