I have to make a Minecraft mod for a school assignment please help

cookie_monsta

hi all i was wondering if some people could recommend me some good tutorial on how to make minecraft mods or tell me whether i'm wasting my time as there are other topics we can do.

stay active because when i receive the assignment notification i will post it here. 

thanks kindly for your help as it is much a appreciated.

What has this world come to... Minecraft mods in school....................

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Just make a texture pack and call it a mod. Your teachers probs won't be able to tell the difference.

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

Or grab a random texture pack a "unknown one" theres so many out there. 

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

actually a really good way to get students motivated to do more complex programming.

--

as for directions on how to: look into opensource mods, and try to "copy" what they're doing, in your own code. (add a block, make it do something)

It's a double edged sword really. Yes I can see how it will get kids into programming but it's not really an endeavour that's going to impart much in the way of architectural and design principles... only how to hack about really.

The MC source code itself, beyond being obfuscated in places, is quite simply dire. It's probably a great example of how one should not write a piece of software. That said if one wants to go ahead with the process then look up Minecraft Forge. It's a widely accepted API for modding Minecraft and (usually) permits mods to work in parallel. They have also done some work to de-obfuscate certain areas of the source and they provide Excel lookup charts that can be used to interpret the landscape. These are the interesting areas, some of them can be manipulated by byte code injection to achieve some of the more interesting results i.e. XRay & Radar - to which most or probably all servers have no defence against (beyond psychology) as the client loads all of the chunk data. In other words one has access to all of the data on their end in real time, all that's needed is a way to access it.

I digress. It should be ok, fun even but don't expect to learn many useful skills beyond hacking around.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Wait let me get this right...

They gave you a school assignment that asks you to make a minecraft mod, ok it's weird but ok....

but... since you are asking for a tutorial I have to ask...

Did they give you this assignment without even showing you how to mod the game?

Youtube. And google. The Minecraft Forge Wiki is out of date so don't trust it. And I would make a 1.7 mod as 1.8 is a little more confusing and the wiki is more accurate to 1.7.

˙ǝɯᴉʇ ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉʇsɐʍ ǝɹɐ noʎ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ƃuᴉʎɹʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɟI

Youtube. And google. The Minecraft Forge Wiki is out of date so don't trust it. And I would make a 1.7 mod as 1.8 is a little more confusing and the wiki is more accurate to 1.7.

There is a forum that lists, amongst other things, the releases. Also at least in my opinion you should use the latest version and not something that's out of date. The stuff is quite self explanatory once you get into it so I doubt you'd even need to rely on much external resource. Just have a play.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.