Laptop for Image Editing/Rendering

mykl

Hi guys,

I'm helping someone look for a 15.6" laptop and it will be used a lot for image editing and rendering tasks at school. I was wondering what would be some good options?

Currently some requirements that I have in mind are:

• Dedicated graphics card
  • IPS monitor at 1080p or greater
  • SSD
  • 8GB+ RAM

So far all the laptops that I've looked at that meet these requirements are gaming laptops like the ASUS Rog G551JW (doesn't have SSD though) and the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition (not available for sale at NCIX anymore), but I'm not sure if these are overkill. I have a budget of around $1,300 to work with, but I'm flexible to spend more if it's worth the extra money. I would really appreciate any help!

Hi guys,

I'm helping someone look for a 15.6" laptop and it will be used a lot for image editing and rendering tasks at school. I was wondering what would be some good options?

• SSD
  • 8GB+ RAM

So far all the laptops that I've looked at that meet these requirements are gaming laptops like the ASUS Rog G551JW (doesn't have SSD though) and the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition (not available for sale at NCIX anymore), but I'm not sure if these are overkill. I have a budget of around $1,300 to work with, but I'm flexible to spend more if it's worth the extra money. I would really appreciate any help!

when someone says gaming laptop...it basically just mean a powerful laptop

so ignore the gaming laptop term

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Dell Xps 13?

Even though it's a 13 inch screen but a rather beautiful one and it's an amazing laptop

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

What about that super slim thing from msi, the gs30 shaddow. It has the resolution, twice the ram you want, ssd's for days, plus if you ever wanted to do any gaming, there's that graphics card box thing that you click the notebook into. It's only 13", but that does mean a slightly higher pixel density. It's exactly $1300 on amazon as well.

ASU

Hi guys,

• SSD
  • 8GB+ RAM

keep in mind that you could safe some money in installing a ssd and more ram afterwards

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Y50 UHD? Great screen, great CPU, plenty ram, good SSD and while the GPU is nothing special it should be fine considering it's literally a slightly slower version of the 960m in the ASUS you looked at.

Hi guys,

• SSD
  • 8GB+ RAM

I recommend this.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP7255.html

If it were me, I would configure it with the 256GB Samsung SM951 and the Killer 1535AC WiFi + Bluetooth Card.

XoticPC is a little cheaper, but not by a very big margin.

One thing I am not very sure about is the display panel. I'm not sure whether is it an IPS panel.

===============================================================================================

If you got more money to play with, this would be the optimal choice.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=885

Comes with a 970M, a 15.6" full panel and I would select the G-Sync one for $80 more, 3 cooling fans, runs quiet (when not playing games, like you're in class), 4 RAM slots, 2 M.2 SSD slots with both of them being M.2 PCIe slots for SSDs like the Samsung SM951, and 2 SATA slots, about 2.5kg and 25mm thick..

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend this.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP7255.html

If it were me, I would configure it with the 256GB Samsung SM951 and the Killer 1535AC WiFi + Bluetooth Card.

XoticPC is a little cheaper, but not by a very big margin.

One thing I am not very sure about is the display panel. I'm not sure whether is it an IPS panel.

===============================================================================================

If you got more money to play with, this would be the optimal choice.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=885

Comes with a 970M, a 15.6" full panel and I would select the G-Sync one for $80 more, 3 cooling fans, runs quiet (when not playing games, like you're in class), 4 RAM slots, 2 M.2 SSD slots with both of them being M.2 PCIe slots for SSDs like the Samsung SM951, and 2 SATA slots, about 2.5kg and 25mm thick..

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm leaning more towards the Sager notebooks right now.

Just wondering, is the Killer 1535AC WiFi + Bluetooth Card really necessary? Is the difference between that and the default "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module" worth an extra $45?

Same question for the SSD: is the difference between the 256GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe SSD and the 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD that large a difference for an extra $90?

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm leaning more towards the Sager notebooks right now.

Just wondering, is the Killer 1535AC WiFi + Bluetooth Card really necessary? Is the difference between that and the default "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module" worth an extra $45?

Same question for the SSD: is the difference between the 256GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe SSD and the 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD that large a difference for an extra $90?

For the WiFi card, the 3165 is a 1x1 card, and the 1535 is a 2x2 card. You may also have options for the Intel Wireless 8260 which is also a 2x2 card. 2x2 cards offer more performance than 1x1 cards. The reason why I would go with the 1535 is because for a gaming laptop, the name seems to fit in better lel, but you still can choose the 8260.

SSD wise, yes a big difference. The SM951 is a PCIe SSD while the 850 EVO is SATA. PCIe SSDs can have sequential read speeds of more than 2GB/s and write speeds of more than 1GB/s whereas SATA ones only have about 500MB/s read and write.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap