Dedicated (insert hardware here)

lior1111

What does it mean when someone says - dedicated server or dedicated hdd or something, does it mean i can trust him or something? :P

Still a newbie sorry dor the dumb question :D

By that they mean a device that is designed to do the one thing in question and nothing more.

A dedicated game server is a server where the entire machine is dedicated to that single game.

Non dedicated game servers are just servers in which multiple game servers are run on one machine.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

its like making Personal Resources for certain Apps, ex : Minecraft uses 2048MB RAM then 2048MB RAM is only for Minecraft, even the Minecraft only use 1024MB of RAM so when Minecraft needs more RAM then Minecraft can eat the rest 1024MB RAM

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

"dedicated" means the specific object is to be solely used for the purpose its "dedicated" to.

like a "dedicated parking spot" is solely to be used by the person on the name tag.

What does it mean when someone says - dedicated server or dedicated hdd or something, does it mean i can trust him or something? :P

Still a newbie sorry dor the dumb question :D

That terminology is usually reserved for graphics cards, dedicated cards have their own ram stored on the GPU, integrated graphics shares its memory with the system

but if used in a looser term, dedicated would mean that *insert hardware* would be used for a specific task, like a hard drive dedicated to Adobe, would be used as a scratch disk to Adobe or maybe using it as as dedicated OS drive and installing other programs elsewhere

A dedicated server is a server specifically designed to run a video game, and everyone connects to the server instead of connecting to another player who acts as host

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That terminology is usually reserved for graphics cards, dedicated cards have their own ram stored on the GPU, integrated graphics shares its memory with the system

but if used in a looser term, dedicated would mean that *insert hardware* would be used for a specific task, like a hard drive dedicated to Adobe, would be used as a scratch disk to Adobe or maybe using it as as dedicated OS drive and installing other programs elsewhere

A dedicated server is a server specifically designed to run a video game, and everyone connects to the server instead of connecting to another player who acts as host

And sound cards. Or basically any pcie add in card.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

thanks people :P . just trying to learn as much as i can about hardware stuff getting a new PC soon , gonna post the full build soon would like to get some thoughts.. 

In PC hardware it means just like said above. Piece of hardware that is its own interchangeable (you can change it in theory) part. Or used to only one thing or group of similar things.

Dedicated GPU = Either full size GPU on desktop machine or own chip on laptop. Integrated is opposite where GPU is built-in CPU.

Dedicated HDD for something = HDD used to single purpose like for OS, game or media storage.

Dedicated stream machine = PC used to only render and stream video for Twitch, Youtube etc.

Dedicated server = This has two meanings. In PC games it means server running on own machine and not hosted by someone on it. Rarely people use the same term to refer whole server piece instead of using virtual server.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The PCs I bought had a decicated 128GB 840 evo as an adobe scratch disk. and also 64GB of ram.

A dedicated Battlefield Server has only one Job. Run the Server Client of the Game and nothing else.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO