PCI lanes

nomaanhusain
Go to solution Solved by SPAS-ID,

mostly no difference, maybe 2-5FPS, PCIe Gen 3 is common now and fairly cheap

What difference would it make if i plug a GTX 980 into a 2nd generation PCI slot than a 3rd generation PCI slot

For all intents and purposes, there is no difference. I wouldn't use gen 2 x4 however.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

For all intents and purposes, there is no difference. 

For all intensive purposes as well.  :P  :P  :P

BTW I know what the idiom is (and its origin), but the alternative is quite literally (in the denotative sense) more accurate to the connotative use of the proper term (hence the alternative's folk etymology).

For those that are confused... "For all intents and purposes" would denotatively mean "no matter what, without exception" while "for all intensive purposes" denotates "for applicable and rigourous reasons, possibly with minor/irrelevant exceptions".

Personally I find the latter much more useful, and it amuses me that the connotation (implied/associative meaning) of the former is closer to the denotation (literal meaning) of the later.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

the only place where i've seen this mattering is a scenario where the dev should be properly slapped square in the face, i'll describe in detail in the following spoiler:

back in the day there was a "bug" in minecraft code (more so bad programming) where on each rendered frame the gpu would again push the entire texture pack to the GPU, now imagine modded minecraft with a much greater amount of textures, and a high resolution texture pack thats about 300MB file size. that has to be pushed to the GPU each frame.

thats where you realise for 60FPS your GPU needs to take in a stream of 144 gigabit per second.

For all intensive purposes as well.  :P  :P  :P

BTW I know what the idiom is (and its origin), but the alternative is quite literally (in the denotative sense) more accurate to the connotative use of the proper term (hence the alternative's folk etymology).

For those that are confused... "For all intents and purposes" would denotatively mean "no matter what, without exception" while "for all intensive purposes" denotates "for applicable and rigourous reasons, possibly with minor/irrelevant exceptions".

Personally I find the latter much more useful, and it amuses me that the connotation (implied/associative meaning) of the former is closer to the denotation (literal meaning) of the later.

In layman's (if you classify it as such) language, I think of it as the word "basically". The meaning is plain as day although not quite literally; for all intents and purposes.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

In layman's (if you classify it as such) language, I think of it as the word "basically".

Again in that case, the latter would be more applicable than the former, as the actual phrase literally means "without exception" whereas the 'improper' phrasing means "basically" in layman's terms.

Just a funny difference between what words actually mean and what they are interpreted/associated to mean.

Another good example is all the oft-used "synonyms" for great that literally have nothing to do with how "good" (or in all the other senses of the word: failing to relate directly to magnitude/importance) something is. Terrific (terror-invoking), Awesome (creating/having awe/speachlessness), Resplendent (shining brightly)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Again in that case, the latter would be more applicable than the former, as the actual phrase literally means "without exception" whereas the 'improper' phrasing means "basically" in layman's terms.

Just a funny difference between what words actually mean and what they are interpreted/associated to mean.

Another good example is all the oft-used "synonyms" for great that literally have nothing to do with how "good" (or in all the other senses of the word: failing to relate directly to magnitude/importance) something is. Terrific (terror-invoking), Awesome (creating/having awe/speachlessness), Resplendent (shining brightly)

I always assumed anyone who used "for all intensive purposes" simply were unaware the phrase is actually "for all intents and purposes".

I always assumed anyone who used "for all intensive purposes" simply were unaware the phrase is actually "for all intents and purposes".

Most are, but I like being an exception, esp when people call me out on it and I throw down the semantics, linguistics, and etymology to trash their argument.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Most are, but I like being an exception, esp when people call me out on it and I throw down the semantics, linguistics, and etymology to trash their argument.

mostly no difference, maybe 2-5FPS, PCIe Gen 3 is common now and fairly cheap

Thanks