Are ATH-m50x's really over-hyped?

melias24

Hey guys, so i know the Audio Technicas are excellent headphones, anyway, i went deep into internet reviews and forums about them, and a fair few people say they are a bit over priced and a bit over priced is this true? If so, what better headphones could i get for $200 AUD or under?....Just make sure they are closed back headphones is all i'm really after, and even if there is an option that is a bit cheaper i don't really mind i just want to know whether i should just aim for the m50's, or are there better ones out there?
~Elias

EDIT: Plz don't stab me, but i saw a video comparing some beats headphones to some senheissers i think they were, and they said the beats sounded better in some songs..is this true?? I would consider beats BTW.

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

For that kind of money, I would never consider getting beats. But speaking as an owner of M50x's, They are nothing short but impressive. The ~$150 usd price tag does give more options although for different choices of headphones similar to m50x's.

Absolutely the M50x is overhyped, especially given the existence of the M40x.

As to whether Beats sound better than Senneheisers, that is subjective an dependent on which Beats and which Sennheisers.

Absolutely the M50x is overhyped, especially given the existence of the M40x.

As to whether Beats sound better than Senneheisers, that is subjective an dependent on which Beats and which Sennheisers.

So i don't actually have $200 for m50x's, but i could buy m40x's at this very moment, are they any good? Do you think i should spend a fair bit of my time and effort saving another $100? (hard to get money as i am only 13 and don't have an income)

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

So i don't actually have $200 for m50x's, but i could buy m40x's at this very moment, are they any good? Do you think i should spend a fair bit of my time and effort saving another $100? (hard to get money as i am only 13 and don't have an income)

They're 90% of the M50x, if not more.

Yes, get M40X.

M50X is ridiculously overhyped because 90% of the people that try them are coming from shitty quality headsets / ipod earbuds and crap. So ofcourse it's going to seem like they just discovered Eden.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

M40X will be what you want m8

Where were you looking at buying from?

I was looking around, dunno where in qld youre from, but theres like an audio/dj place in brisbane iirc which has good prices.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

40x is really bad compared to the 50x really bad

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Here in Europe they are like ~30euro price difference so I would get M50x of course.

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

They're basically identical.

They're basically identical.

Smaller drivers and smaller sound frequency are not "basically identical" for professional users thats a lot

Smaller drivers and smaller sound frequency are not "basically identical" for professional users thats a lot

"professional users"

Except they sound about the same. Driver size and meaningless numbers don't change that fact.

"professional users"

Except they sound about the same. Driver size and meaningless numbers don't change that fact.

except they dont.

except they dont.

and their not meaningless numbers do you know the first thing about headphone drivers and sound frequencies xD

except they dont.

Except they do. Reliable istener impressions and measurements corroborate this.

and their not meaningless numbers do you know the first thing about headphone drivers and sound frequencies xD

Frequency range numbers are always meaningless since no conditions are specified. They're an invention of marketing departments, not any actual engineering data.

And again, driver size doesn't have a significant effect in headphones; anything in the 40-50mm range is about the same.

Except they do. Reliable istener impressions and measurements corroborate this.

Frequency range numbers are always meaningless since no conditions are specified. They're an invention of marketing departments, not any actual engineering data.

And again, driver size doesn't have a significant effect in headphones; anything in the 40-50mm range is about the same.

there is a difference ive heard both there is a difference. And frequency range is the range of sound it can play. There is a difference.

there is a difference ive heard both there is a difference. And frequency range is the range of sound it can play. There is a difference.

Sure. There's a small difference, but not as much a difference as the price suggests, and definitely not so much a difference that the M40x sounds "really bad".

"Play"? It's a headphone, not a musical instrument. Even if the frequency range were grounded in reality (it isn't) an extra 4kHz does not make any significant difference on the high end. Humans can't hear in that range to begin with.

Did you actually listen to the 40X side-by-side with the 50X?

They sound NEARLY IDENTICAL! I had to listen hard. I had to do the audio version of pixel peeping and even then... even looking at measurements, perceived sound, and the likes, the part that you just have to do an audio version of pixel peeping to tell the difference, when most of the time even audiophiles just wanna sit back and relax while listening to music they listen to. Hell, some audio engineers/producers end up giving zero shits on what are on their ears when they are mixing/mastering/producing provided they can hear something such as detail. Mind you, there comes a point that the 40X just ends up being so identical to the 50X that alot of people even via blind testing just can't tell the difference in the situation of leisure and critical listening.

Did you actually listen to the 40X side-by-side with the 50X?

They sound NEARLY IDENTICAL! I had to listen hard. I had to do the audio version of pixel peeping and even then... even looking at measurements, perceived sound, and the likes, the part that you just have to do an audio version of pixel peeping to tell the difference, when most of the time even audiophiles just wanna sit back and relax while listening to music they listen to. Hell, some audio engineers/producers end up giving zero shits on what are on their ears when they are mixing/mastering/producing provided they can hear something such as detail. Mind you, there comes a point that the 40X just ends up being so identical to the 50X that alot of people even via blind testing just can't tell the difference in the situation of leisure and critical listening.

Have you compared both?

M40X will be what you want m8

Where were you looking at buying from?

I was looking around, dunno where in qld youre from, but theres like an audio/dj place in brisbane iirc which has good prices.

Yes, get M40X.

M50X is ridiculously overhyped because 90% of the people that try them are coming from shitty quality headsets / ipod earbuds and crap. So ofcourse it's going to seem like they just discovered Eden.

So basically get the m40x, and i'll be happy? I am not a pro audio bloke, and never will be so i guess, so will the M40x be good or not? if so i'll buy them right now.

So basically get the m40x, and i'll be happy? I am not a pro audio bloke, and never will be so i guess, so will the M40x be good or not? if so i'll buy them right now.

I'm not Lays, but I'll gladly answer that question: I can't say you'll be happy, but I can tell you that you're bound to feel ripped off if you get the M50X over the M40X.

I'm not Lays, but I'll gladly answer that question: I can't say you'll be happy, but I can tell you that you're bound to feel ripped off if you get the M50X over the M40X.

Ok, well the decision has been made, thank you!!

Wait, hold on... Did you just ask SSL if he knew the first thing about headphones? What?

Anyway, the frequency response measurement is a meaningless measurement for a few reasons; first off, humans can ONLY hear between 20hz and 20khz, so there isn't any reason for headphones to be able to play anything beyond that. Also, those numbers, since there aren't any units or descriptors for them could be something like 2hz-250khz, and that would be publishable, because the measurement would be like +/- 100db (aka, it's measurable, but not listenable at all) and therefore useless. Don't doubt: the m40x can actually reproduce the same frequencies as the m50x, it's just that at the very top end, it's a lot quieter (relatively) than the m50x.

Also, have you ever even met any sound engineers? Nobody uses the m50x because it isn't even close to flat. The Sony mdr v6/7506 are much better headphones for mixing/recording, and they're 30+ years old.

Driver size has nothing to do with anything. Hell, if anything, a smaller driver should be better, because it has less mass to move around.

So instead of asking SSL if he knows the first thing about headphone drivers and sound frequencies, you should be asking yourself the same question, because it's become rather apparent that you don't.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

M50 sound so freakin' dry and anemic. The bass is there and in pretty big quantity but it's so dry, I really don't know how to explain this but to me M50s sound mediocre at best.

Not to mention that they are uncomfortable like hell, clamping force like a mofo with that fake-ass leather. Treble was ear piercing and again very very dry. I don't know if they improved that sound with "x" version but this is audio-robbery from those Japanese. 

For example DT-770 250Ohm have 10 times better sound, 100 times more comfortable and clamping force, although pretty strong is almost non-existent because of Beyers velour pads.

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117