1080p 144hz or 1440p 75hz?

DKLurifax

I currently have a BenQ 24" 144hz monitor now and I am getting an upgrade for it.

Work is allowing me to pick a 21:9 monitor and I am not sure if I should go for 1080p 144hz or 1440p 75hz. The smoothness of 120fps is so damn addictive, but considering I could get a G-sync monitor in 1440p and that I could never hope to push past 75hz anyway with my 980 on such a large panel, maybe G-sync at 75 fps would provide the better experience than 120 fps at 1080p? 

I will also use it for work productivity, and according to some review sites, 21:9 in 1080p causes some wierd scaling issues and that 1440p is much prefered to work on.

Any advice, personal experience or anything else would be very welcome.

Once you get uses to 144Hz its hard to forget it

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

if your pc is not running at more than 75 fps then more than a 75 hz monitor is useless go with the higher resolution which in turn is better for productivity anyway if only using 1 monitor 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

If it's for work, go with 1440p.

• The extra real estate will do you much better than the extra frames
  • Your card probably won't be able to drive 144hz at the 1080p 21:9 resolution (depending what your playing)
  • G-sync is supposed to be awesome
  • If you're getting a 12:9 monitor, it's likely going to be a large one (27"+), so 1080p will likely look significantly worse than 1440p

Hope this helps!

@ThatOneRussian: Exactly. Im already on a 144hz monitor and I get around 130fps in bf4 and that's just so buttery smooth.

@rhyseyness: It's a 34" monitor and Linus said in his review of the BenQ XR3501 that the scaling in windows was off a bit. 

Really torn on this. The big question is in reality how noticable the jump from 75fps to 120fps is. Being a gamer at heart Ive always prefered more fps over resolution but since I will also use this for work (huge spreadsheets and videoediting among other things) I am wondering if I should go for higher resolution this time.

@ThatOneRussian: Exactly. Im already on a 144hz monitor and I get around 130fps in bf4 and that's just so buttery smooth.

@rhyseyness: It's a 34" monitor and Linus said in his review of the BenQ XR3501 that the scaling in windows was off a bit. 

Really torn on this. The big question is in reality how noticable the jump from 75fps to 120fps is. Being a gamer at heart Ive always prefered more fps over resolution but since I will also use this for work (huge spreadsheets and videoediting among other things) I am wondering if I should go for higher resolution this time.

If you're doing spreadsheets and video editing, then you'll definitely benefit from 1440p more than the increased frame rate.

From what you've said, I'd 100% go with the 1440p.

It's primarily for work, so go with the one better for productivity (1440p).

I'm afraid I can't tell you how noticeable the difference between 120 and 75fps, as I've only ever played at 60, lol.