WE'VE GOT ONE! Finally, a consistent crash! Now how do I fix it?

iamdarkyoshi

So I figured out that I can cause my PC to do a pretty hard freeze by trying to use speedfan on windows 10. It worked before...

As it tried to read the various sensors, the PC crashes and even the reset button does nothing. Ideas? I have had plenty of other reboots, freezes, and BSODs, but this is the FIRST one I have had where I can repeat anything.

I run speedfan under windows 10 with the following command line arguments /NOSMARTSCAN  /NOACPISCAN /NOGIVEIO and I get almost all of the features without the crashing I used to get.

the full list of command line arguments I started with is /NOSMBSCAN /NOPCISCAN /NOSMARTSCAN /NOSUPERIO /NOACPISCAN /NOGIVEIO /NODELLSCAN, but through elimination I found /NOGIVEIO to prevent most of my crashes, and the three combined prevented all crashing while retaining access to all thermal sensors except the drive thermal sensors, but including the GPU sensors and full control over all of the fan channels

to implement the command line arguments you right click your shortcut, then add them to the end of the target, my target is as follows

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe" /NOSMARTSCAN  /NOACPISCAN /NOGIVEIO

So I figured out that I can cause my PC to do a pretty hard freeze by trying to use speedfan on windows 10. It worked before...

As it tried to read the various sensors, the PC crashes and even the reset button does nothing. Ideas? I have had plenty of other reboots, freezes, and BSODs, but this is the FIRST one I have had where I can repeat anything.

let me know if that fixes it or if you need additional assistance and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers!

speedfan causes it to crash

does hwmonitor to?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

let me know if that fixes it or if you need additional assistance and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers!

he's talking about for the last few days about why his pc is screwing up..you need to go back and read his other posts if you wanna help

he's talking about for the last few days about why his pc is screwing up..you need to go back and read his other posts if you wanna help

well maybe I can at least start by solving one of the issues.

well maybe I can at least start by solving one of the issues.

speedfan crashing isn't what he's worried about

its why it causes the pc to crash he's wanting to know

speedfan crashing isn't what he's worried about

its why it causes the pc to crash he's wanting to know

I am completely aware of that. speedfan was causing my whole system to come to a screeching hault while initializing, requiring a hard reset by holding the power button for 10 seconds. this was no simple software crash. as far as I can tell, it stems from speedfan writing to an embedded controller on the motherboard it shouldn't be messing with during it's initialization, and that caused the whole system to hang irrecoverably.

I swear I can't post a damn thing on this forum anymore without somebody insisting I have no idea what I'm talking about.

that was actually @techguru who suggested HWMonitor, I was just trying to get speedfan to run, as I love it and It makes my system go from bearable to silent (but deadly).

I edited my original post, because I had a brainfart. I have three modes on mine:

Stupidly silent to where the pump and HDD sound like a jet engine compared to fans, this is fine for gaming.

Silent to the point to where things stay under 60 degrees during intense gaming

Folding mode, still quieter than a reference 290x.

I edited my original post, because I had a brainfart. I have three modes on mine:

Stupidly silent to where the pump and HDD sound like a jet engine compared to fans, this is fine for gaming.

Silent to the point to where things stay under 60 degrees during intense gaming

Folding mode, still quieter than a reference 290x.

LOL. I immediately edited mine, thinking I'd had a brainfart too.

I have mine set up to be silent at lower temps, but to ramp up the fans on the GPU's H55 water cooler to a quiet gust whenever GPU temps go over 50C. CPU is always at a minimum, as the airflow paths in the case were carefully setup to keep hot air isolated, and that way the CPU never breaks 80C on 5% fan speed, which is comfortable with me. in my system, no heat producing component  shares air with another heat producing component, so once I replace the PSU fan with something quieter, the system will be inaudible.

i guess you could say I have a problem with loud computers.

LOL. I immediately edited mine, thinking I'd had a brainfart too.

I have mine set up to be silent at lower temps, but to ramp up the fans on the GPU's H55 water cooler to a quiet gust whenever GPU temps go over 50C. CPU is always at a minimum, as the airflow paths in the case were carefully setup to keep hot air isolated, and that way the CPU never breaks 80C on 5% fan speed, which is comfortable with me. in my system, no heat producing component  shares air with another heat producing component, so once I replace the PSU fan with something quieter, the system will be inaudible.

i guess you could say I have a problem with loud computers.

so do I. You probably would have dropped dead seeing my older PC, which required some INSANE DELTA SERVER FANS to keep the crossfired GPUS under control :P

so do I. You probably would have dropped dead seeing my older PC, which required some INSANE DELTA SERVER FANS to keep the crossfired GPUS under control :P

are you rma'ing the ram?