Does setting a monitor to use a HDTV mode cause anything?

Kyzer

2d1902fed3.png

I would be using 1080p60 NTSC. I'm trying to get a resolution like 1440x1080, and I read that using this was the only way to do it. Would doing this in any way damage the monitor? It says something about forcing it to use something other than its EDID etc etc. can damage the monitor.

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

well okay, apparently no one knows or wants to answer.

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

I've been using HDTVs are monitors for several years now and I've never seen anything like this.

Granted, I've never found a need to feed the HDTV with anything other than what default the GPU finds it should be sending it.

I don't think it's that no one wants to answer. I think it's more that you've found a particularly rare case that not a lot of people encounter.

---