FTP Server Help And Questions

ddswh1pk0s
Go to solution Solved by Dautin,

Thanks for your post I managed to get the FTP server working, I solved the problem by using a different port other than 21.

Now I noticed in the logs for the server, whenever someone navigates to a different folder, it says "logging in" and then when they go to a different folder it says "disconnected" then "logging in" again. Is this normal?

Also, I asked him and it says that the server is fine, except when trying to stream a video through VLC the video loads the first 2 seconds then stops working.

That is normal for that to occur, especially if the user is sitting idle for a while.  The reason they might not have been able to connect over port 21 is that sometimes ISPs block common ports like that for your protection (although it is weird that the tests you ran worked if that was the case), and the fact that you're generally not supposed to be running servers off of residential connections.  

As for the video problem, what is your upload speed and his download speed?

Nice Keyboard btw

Hello everyone,

I recently decided to make an FTP server using Filezilla. I wanted my friends to be able to access the server from their home computers, as well as use it to stream videos over my LAN.

The server works fine over LAN, however I am having some troubles when accessing from the internet.

I made sure that port 21 was forwarded, and I also forwarded a range of 50 or so ports for passive connections. After this, I tested the FTP server using the link in Filezilla.

I found out that when I google "what is my IP" an IPv6 address comes up instead of an IPv4 address. I was still able to find an IPv4 WAN address from ipconfig and in my router settings. So this is what I used in the FTP server settings.

The results from the test said that my FTP server works, however I get a message saying "the address does not resolve an IPv6 address" or something like that. So I got a friend to test it, and he said that it doesn't work, but his IP address was IPv4.

I am aware that IPv6 is not backwards compatible with IPv4, is my configuration of the FTP server correct and only IPv6 clients can connect or did I do something wrong?

If you need screenshots I can add this afternoon.

Thanks in advance,

Hello everyone,

I recently decided to make an FTP server using Filezilla. I wanted my friends to be able to access the server from their home computers, as well as use it to stream videos over my LAN.

The server works fine over LAN, however I am having some troubles when accessing from the internet.

I made sure that port 21 was forwarded, and I also forwarded a range of 50 or so ports for passive connections. After this, I tested the FTP server using the link in Filezilla.

I found out that when I google "what is my IP" an IPv6 address comes up instead of an IPv4 address. I was still able to find an IPv4 WAN address from ipconfig and in my router settings. So this is what I used in the FTP server settings.

The results from the test said that my FTP server works, however I get a message saying "the address does not resolve an IPv6 address" or something like that. So I got a friend to test it, and he said that it doesn't work, but his IP address was IPv4.

I am aware that IPv6 is not backwards compatible with IPv4, is my configuration of the FTP server correct and only IPv6 clients can connect or did I do something wrong?

If you need screenshots I can add this afternoon.

Thanks in advance,

you need to forward 21 and 20.

21 is the command port

20 is the data port

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

You're right about IPv6 and IPv4 not being compatible with one another. If your provider supports both IPv6 and IPv4, you might as well get both running. That way either may be used to connect into your network, if that is what you want.

Any address given by ipconfig on your windows machine will be a LAN address. Anything in the 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, and 192.168.0.0/16 ranges are private address that will not be routed on the internet. The address you found in your router's settings i most like your actual WAN address.

Similarly any IPv6 addresses in the range FE80::/10 are Link-Local and are non-routable addresses. A global IPv6 address will start with a 2, for the foreseeable future anyway.

Thanks for your post I managed to get the FTP server working, I solved the problem by using a different port other than 21.

Now I noticed in the logs for the server, whenever someone navigates to a different folder, it says "logging in" and then when they go to a different folder it says "disconnected" then "logging in" again. Is this normal?

Also, I asked him and it says that the server is fine, except when trying to stream a video through VLC the video loads the first 2 seconds then stops working.

That is normal for that to occur, especially if the user is sitting idle for a while.  The reason they might not have been able to connect over port 21 is that sometimes ISPs block common ports like that for your protection (although it is weird that the tests you ran worked if that was the case), and the fact that you're generally not supposed to be running servers off of residential connections.  

Nice Keyboard btw

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

Nice Keyboard btw

I solved the problem I converted my upload speed in Mbps to KBps and when he was streaming it was holding steady at 300KBps which is normal upload speed for me since I'm only on 25 down and 5 up and it was peak hour. My solution is to wait until I get 100 down and 40 down soon and then I should be good to go.

Thanks for your help

I solved the problem I converted my upload speed in Mbps to KBps and when he was streaming it was holding steady at 300KBps which is normal upload speed for me since I'm only on 25 down and 5 up and it was peak hour. My solution is to wait until I get 100 down and 40 down soon and then I should be good to go.

Thanks for your help

Yeah, no problem.  Make sure to mark this thread answered.

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7