PSU?

danny8632
Go to solution Solved by don_svetlio,

Care to elaborate on this?

I do recall some people having issues a while back - haven't heard much about it since. Specifically the 760W and 860W models. Then again - it also depends on the credibility of people on Tomshardware

Hello guys, i really need someone to help me.
I am going to build a "super" computer and i have chosen a lot of parts for it, but I am not sure that every thing "fits" like if the PSU i not good enoght to power the hole system, or the motherboard is a bad chose for the processer or something, so I am asking for help, so if someone can take a look on all the parts and say if there is some problems I will be happy.
Thanks Danny

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme
GPU: GeForce GTX TITAN X
PSU: Corsair AX 860i
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4(I'm only going with 16gb, but if needed I upgrade to 32gb)
CPU cooler(watercooled): Cooler Master Nepton 240m
Case: NZXT S340 Midi Tower sort
Edit C drive: Samsung 850 EVO(250gb) (before Kingston SSDNow v300 240gb)

D drive/Storage: Seagate Barracude 2TB

I'd go with a SeaSonic Platinum honestly - if you are spending that much just get top quality. AXi are good but the lower wattage models are iffy sometimes.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

NOOOOO DON'T USE A V300 SERIES SSD

Why??!?!??????

I'd go with a SeaSonic Platinum honestly - if you are spending that much just get top quality. AXi are good but the lower wattage models are iffy sometimes.

But, to my system, is it not good enugh that one i chose???

They are absolutely rubbish and a bad value for money with their read and write speeds...

NOOOOO DON'T USE A V300 SERIES SSD

looked over that one, good catch.

Why??!?!??????

right after the review samples went out they switched OEM, and they suddenly became really shitty.

they basiclyn did a dick move with the V300 series, you're better off with something samsung EVO or similar.

looked over that one, good catch.

right after the review samples went out they switched OEM, and they suddenly became really shitty.

they basiclyn did a dick move with the V300 series, you're better off with something samsung EVO or similar.

Then I go with the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

Better be safe than sorry with such expensive stuff :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

AXi is our flagship PSU.. absolutely good enough to power up your system? 

AXi are good but the lower wattage models are iffy sometimes.

I do recall some people having issues a while back - haven't heard much about it since. Specifically the 760W and 860W models. Then again - it also depends on the credibility of people on Tomshardware

Interesting, because we've never seen such trend on both of those SKUs other than just your typical RMA claims. And this is from monitoring major forums worldwide and not just Tomshardware. 

Interesting, because we've never seen such trend on both of those SKUs other than just your typical RMA claims. And this is from monitoring major forums worldwide and not just Tomshardware. 

When I was searching for a replacement for my TT one I came across people asking about it and the answers they were receiving had such claims as to why they are now multirail. Sounded scientific enough to be credible.

It was made into a multi-rail unit by default (the AXi can switch between single rail and multi-rail) to add an extra layer of safety to respond to abnormal loads off of a set of cables. If there was any concern with the AXi for simply being a single rail unit previously, then that concern should also be applied to any other single rail unit as well like the EVGA G2/P2/T2.

The issue with single rail is that there isn't any sort of protection on the +12v rail in the range that it is rated for, so you could potentially pull the entirety of the +12v rating off of a single connector until either the OPP set off or something burns like what happens here. On the other hand, a multi-rail would limit that amount of current for a set of cables. For example, the AX860i has a 71A rating on the +12v rail with a 30A OCP per cable by default in MR mode (you can adjust the OCP in the AXi).

Of course, the problem with MR is that if it had been poorly implemented, you can have an unit that prematurely shut down well below it's rated wattage, but most company already have the knowledge to implemented it properly for it to be a non-issue. There are even some companies that label their multi-rail units as single rail to serve as a marketing point.

When I was searching for a replacement for my TT one I came across people asking about it and the answers they were receiving had such claims as to why they are now multirail. Sounded scientific enough to be credible.

I wouldn't really go by that logic, single rail vs multi rail shouldn't be an issue at all http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990