Choosing the right case

VeseliqLoss
Go to solution Solved by ApolloEleven,

I mean with the top fans closed ... I know it has the potential. Most arguments i have heard are about the more closed front panel and not having a direct airflow. If i open the top moduvents, won't it be better to just take the Midi R2 for the nice big top filter? Better airflow = less fan spinning = less noise? Just guessing here from what i have heard about these two cases.

Hello.

You also have to consider how many fans you are willing to put inside.

I prefer many fans spin at lower RPM vs less fans at higher RPM (Thanks to JayzTwoCent for recommending this config)

Because there is a threshold where fans suddenly not quiet anymore. For example my Noctua A14 3000RPM fan begins to vibrate the case at 1300RPM but at 1200RPM it is dead silent. I tested this with my other 5 Noctua A14 3000RPM fans, same noise. That is why I kind of prefer more fans at less RPM.

I also prefer 140mm over 120mm because they can deliver the same amount of airflow at less RPM, which means less noice.

I adore the Arc Midi R2, but one of the big problem I have with it is that the drive cages block so much of the front fans that it is arguable worst than the Define R5 in terms of front panel  air intake, unless you are fine with removing them. And that it can only support max of 240 radiator (not really an issue though). Look at 1:12:

Hmm this is actually a tough choice between the R5 and Arc Midi R2. The reason why I went with the Define R5 (before Define S came out) in the first place because of the many fan mount options that can turn the R5 into a normal high performance gaming PC but still retain the silence, but I am not sure if my experience will apply to you since I do have high tolerance for noise.

You can also buy cheap fan filters for the Define R5 for $3 a piece from Ebay (not the most elegant solution I must admit)

The Define R5 front panel side vents is not that bad, People seem to exaggerate how the front door suffocates the front fans, that is true for the Define R4 that has thick horizontal lines that runs across the side vent but the Define R5/S now uses thin lines so it is not really a problem. You can see this in this review at time 1:01

In the Define R5 you can help offset the disadvantage of the slightly restricted front panel by adding 2x fans on the floor:

2x front

2x floor

2x top (3 if you remove the third moduvent , I guess this is why the Arc Midi R2 begins to look more attractive)

1x side (non-windowed)

1x rear

Looking at that I do not think airflow is an issue.

I kind of prefer the Define S over the Define R5 because it is slightly cheaper and that air does not have to push through the drive cages, especially with that extra front fan mount to replace the drive bay.

Hi guys,

I have some problems choosing a case. I was going for a Fractal Define S when it came out but now some people tell me that the airflow is not very good? I want a good build quality, no flexing and good cooling for my components. Quietness is a big + but still ...

- I like my HDD to be on the cooler side ... is that possible with Define S? I like to see temps no higher than 30-35 degrees.

- How good is the airflow in R5, given i won't remove the top modu-vents?

- Arc Midi 2 i like more because my components will be happier with better cooling, but isn't it loud? I know better cooling means less fan spinning ... but i haven't seen either of them in real life performance.

- Any other suggestions in this price range? (don't like the Ethoo Pro, so don't mention it pls.)

- No overclocking - the aftermarket CPU Cooler i added because of the noise the stock is making, also i like the idea of keeping my CPU at lower temps. Basicly i am after stability and long life of the components.

The components will be like: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Cfsw4D

Thank you for your time and sorry for the long post ... i tend to go into details :D

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Hi guys,

I have some problems choosing a case. I was going for a Fractal Define S when it came out but now some people tell me that the airflow is not very good? I want a good build quality, no flexing and good cooling for my components. Quietness is a big + but still ...

- I like my HDD to be on the cooler side ... is that possible with Define S? I like to see temps no higher than 30-35 degrees.

- Arc Midi 2 i like more because my components will be happier with better cooling, but isn't it loud? I know better cooling means less fan spinning ... but i haven't seen either of them in real life performance.

- Any other suggestions in this price range? (don't like the Ethoo Pro, so don't mention it pls.)

- No overclocking - the aftermarket CPU Cooler i added because of the noise the stock is making, also i like the idea of keeping my CPU at lower temps. Basicly i am after stability and long life of the components.

Thank you for your time and sorry for the long post ... i tend to go into details :D

Dont worry about ur hdd, I have the define S with 2 7200rpm hdd in raid 0 and they run fine. You shuold be more worried about the temps of ur cpu and gpu. I have 2 gpus and the first one runs at 60C idle. But the Define S is a great case. Highly recommend it

The R5 has ample airflow, just like the R4. Don't worry about it.

You can make nearly any case "quiet" as long as you don't use shitty fans (the stock Corsair fans come to mind).

Hi guys,

follow ur topic plis

follow ur topic plis

What do you mean? All i am asking is about which case to choose ...

The R5 has ample airflow, just like the R4. Don't worry about it.

You can make nearly any case "quiet" as long as you don't use shitty fans (the stock Corsair fans come to mind).

I am leaning more towards MIDI R2 actually and your point about the fans is very good. I was thinking about that but given i have never heard either of the cases in action ... it should not be  such a big difference i think. Is the R5 airflow ample with only 3 vents(2 intake, 1 pushing out)? I want to keep the top vents covered because there is no good filtration there and dust will enter more easily.

your build is 70% as mine

go with the bd28

great  airflow perfect size 

Thanks but I just really don't like the looks of this case ... Prefer something cleaner and as less plastic as possible.

What do you mean? All i am asking is about which case to choose ...

I am leaning more towards MIDI R2 actually and your point about the fans is very good. I was thinking about that but given i have never heard either of the cases in action ... it should not be  such a big difference i think. Is the R5 airflow ample with only 3 vents(2 intake, 1 pushing out)? I want to keep the top vents covered because there is no good filtration there and dust will enter more easily.

Thanks but I just really don't like the looks of this case ... Prefer something cleaner and as less plastic as possible.

it is but ok

I am leaning more towards MIDI R2 actually and your point about the fans is very good. I was thinking about that but given i have never heard either of the cases in action ... it should not be such a big difference i think. Is the R5 airflow ample with only 3 vents(2 intake, 1 pushing out)? I want to keep the top vents covered because there is no good filtration there and dust will enter more easily.

Whichever case you get from Fractal, you'll like. But yes it's enough for most scenarios. I used the Arc XL in a build (build link in my signature) and I really liked the aesthetic myself.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Just one more question ... I read in reviews that the drive cage in R5 and Midi 2 are a bit "buzzy"(vibrating) and you can hear them? Is that so really?

Aesthetics wise i think all of these cases look really good. Maybe more on the Define side, but still ...

How could a Define R5/S have bad airflow? Both the Define R5 and S can fit NINE fans all at once!

Most cases can't even do that, even those large full towers.

People who says the Define R5/S have bad airflow are just being nonsense.

Currently have 8x 140mm fans spinning at 800RPM inside my Define R5, very silent. If I bump all to 1100-1300RPM it is still quiet.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Just one more question ... I read in reviews that the drive cage in R5 and Midi 2 are a bit "buzzy"(vibrating) and you can hear them? Is that so really?

Aesthetics wise i think all of these cases look really good. Maybe more on the Define side, but still ...

None, since they have rubber grommets on the drive cages and are tightened with screws (they are not tool-less though)

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

How could a Define R5/S have bad airflow? Both the Define R5 and S can fit NINE fans all at once!

Most cases can't even do that, even those large full towers.

People who says the Define R5/S have bad airflow are just being nonsense.

Currently have 8x 140mm fans spinning at 800RPM inside my Define R5, very silent. If I bump all to 1100-1300RPM it is still quiet.

None, since they have rubber grommets on the drive cages and are tightened with screws (they are not tool-less though)

I mean with the top fans closed ... I know it has the potential. Most arguments i have heard are about the more closed front panel and not having a direct airflow. If i open the top moduvents, won't it be better to just take the Midi R2 for the nice big top filter? Better airflow = less fan spinning = less noise? Just guessing here from what i have heard about these two cases.

Hello.

You also have to consider how many fans you are willing to put inside.

I prefer many fans spin at lower RPM vs less fans at higher RPM (Thanks to JayzTwoCent for recommending this config)

Because there is a threshold where fans suddenly not quiet anymore. For example my Noctua A14 3000RPM fan begins to vibrate the case at 1300RPM but at 1200RPM it is dead silent. I tested this with my other 5 Noctua A14 3000RPM fans, same noise. That is why I kind of prefer more fans at less RPM.

I also prefer 140mm over 120mm because they can deliver the same amount of airflow at less RPM, which means less noice.

I adore the Arc Midi R2, but one of the big problem I have with it is that the drive cages block so much of the front fans that it is arguable worst than the Define R5 in terms of front panel  air intake, unless you are fine with removing them. And that it can only support max of 240 radiator (not really an issue though). Look at 1:12:

Hmm this is actually a tough choice between the R5 and Arc Midi R2. The reason why I went with the Define R5 (before Define S came out) in the first place because of the many fan mount options that can turn the R5 into a normal high performance gaming PC but still retain the silence, but I am not sure if my experience will apply to you since I do have high tolerance for noise.

You can also buy cheap fan filters for the Define R5 for $3 a piece from Ebay (not the most elegant solution I must admit)

The Define R5 front panel side vents is not that bad, People seem to exaggerate how the front door suffocates the front fans, that is true for the Define R4 that has thick horizontal lines that runs across the side vent but the Define R5/S now uses thin lines so it is not really a problem. You can see this in this review at time 1:01

In the Define R5 you can help offset the disadvantage of the slightly restricted front panel by adding 2x fans on the floor:

2x front

2x floor

2x top (3 if you remove the third moduvent , I guess this is why the Arc Midi R2 begins to look more attractive)

1x side (non-windowed)

1x rear

Looking at that I do not think airflow is an issue.

I kind of prefer the Define S over the Define R5 because it is slightly cheaper and that air does not have to push through the drive cages, especially with that extra front fan mount to replace the drive bay.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

You have been most helpful. Thank you!

After all i might go for the Define S as i first intended because i don't need the extra drive/hdd bays ... Still have some thoughts about HDD temperatures sandwitched behind, but maybe its only in my head :)

About the vents, i more like the neutral or positive airflow. So either going for 2 rear + 2 front or 3 front 2 rear vents. My tolerance for sound is not that big and there will be someone sleeping in the room while i am working sometimes so ... quietness is a virtue :D

In terms of sturdiness/flexing which one is better build? Or they are all good?

After all i might go for the Define S as i first intended because i don't need the extra drive or DVD bays ... Still have some thoughts about HDD temperatures sandwitched behind, but maybe its only in my head :)

About the vents, i more like the neutral or positive airflow. So either going for 2 rear + 2 front or 3 front 2 rear vents. My tolerance for sound is not that big and there will be someone sleeping in the room while i am working sometimes so ... quietness is a virtue :D

Mine feels pretty rock solid. I have twelve fans in my arc mini. It it DEAD SILENT, I can hear my HDD motor and water pump over the fans while gaming.

I forgot to add that temperatures here rise to 32+ degrees in summer ... and that is the main reason for asking about how good the airflow is.

After all i might go for the Define S as i first intended because i don't need the extra drive/hdd bays ... Still have some thoughts about HDD temperatures sandwitched behind, but maybe its only in my head :)

I never really seen hard drives failing due to temperature. Do not worry too much about it.

I forgot to add that temperatures here rise to 32+ degrees in summer ... and that is the main reason for asking about how good the airflow is.

Same here. I live in Sydney, Australia. It now gets around 31 degrees Celsius and we are just in the beginning of summer. If you have enough fans, your case ambient temperature wouldn't be too high. With 5x 140mm Noctua fans and 3x other 140mm fans that came with the case by default/spare all running at 800-1000RPM, my case temperature is only 2 degrees Delta, so if its 31 degrees then it would be 33 degrees inside, not too bad for low speed airflow.

My old case which was a Cooler Master HAF XM which is designed for airflow in the first place achieve similar temps, so the Define R5's (or S) airflow isn't behind as people exaggerated.

Alright, i am almost there ... going with the Define S w/o window, because of the better price/feature ratio. I guess i will work something out for a top filter ...Some stockings are always an option in worst case scenario :D

Do you have dust problems with your config?

I just got a SPEC-02 from Corsair and I'm in love with it.

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|