PC Upgrade Help

Go to solution Solved by Raccatography,

good point sir, but what you are saying by that (just to clarify) is i should upgrade both the psu and the gpu at the same time or just the gpu

clarifying your clarification: Just change the GPU entirely instead of getting another GTX 770 for SLI. Upgrade the PSU as well. If budget allows it, get a new PSU :)

ps I just realized it now. you're gaming at 1080p. You'll be able to do play games on max with a R9 390. The 980 Ti to drive your monitor for games is just overkill, haha. But then bragging rights

Hi people!

I currently own a (not too damn shabby) system that i really would like to (if and when i get the money haha) to upgrade.

If i am going to upgrade this machine i will want the very best, i don't mind buying different parts over the course of the coming year to slowly build this machine up to beast level specs. At the moment i am aiming to spend around a grand on stuff (that may increase over Christmas if i decide i want a titan x). so hit me with your best shot!

My current specs are

CPU: Inte Core I5 - 4460 3.2GHz Quad Core

RAM: Corsair 8gb (2x4) 1600mhz ddr3

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H

GPU: Nvidea GTX 770 DCUII OC

PSU: Corsair CX-600w

Storage: Kingston Hyper X 120gb SSD and 1x WD Caviar blue (around 500gb i forgot the exact size)

Currently i am running 2 other hard drives but those can be taken out if power consumption needs me to

Displays: 1x 1920x1080p at 60hz and 2x 1280x1024 (unknown refresh rate)

Accessories: a few USB devices as well as a WiFi Card in the bottom slot

Also for those who are wondering my case is a Corsair Graphite 230T in Battleship Grey

Currently thinking of adding a Titan X or a (much more reasonably priced) 980ti

Also in the very far future i'm thinking of upgrading my monitors to be all g-sync 1920x1080p 144hz monitors

Right now i'm tossing between the idea that i could buy a Titan X and make do with the cpu bottleneck until i can upgrade the rest of the pc, that way i wouldn't have to buy a new gpu for a long time. (also bragging rights because i'm evil and love it when my friend almost punches my head in when i get all this new gear he cant afford  ;))

// EDIT - My intention here is to upgrade this build to last me a few upgrades and a fair amount of time into the future. For example more capacity in the power supply to accommodate multi-gpu setups.

Also if you fine people could suggest some products out there for me that would be great, would prefer it to match the color scheme though

I will leave you with a couple of hasty glamour shots of my build, stay shiny guys!

post-267098-0-38371700-1444147232_thumb.

post-267098-0-19369500-1444146987_thumb.

post-267098-0-17654900-1444147003_thumb.

I'd start with a PSU, then do the SSD, and by then, Nvidia should have launched Pascal. Then buy a Pascal GPU, and then at that point, Kaby Lake should be launched, and you can get a new platform with Kaby Lake, a new motherboard, and DDR4 (or Skylake-E even...).

GPU and motherboards/platforms are on the verge of awesome things. Wait on those. I for one can't wait until Skylake-E hits with Alpine Ridge controllers and DMI 3.0.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

980 Ti and save the money you'll otherwise be spending on a Titan X. Then use that saved money for the monitors.

also, it's not funny to tease someone just because they can't afford it.

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

Haha yeah for sure a better psu but it seems it'll be fine for until i have to upgrade something else. I am leaning toward getting a better GPU though because MOAR POWER!!!

I'd start with a PSU, then do the SSD, and by then, Nvidia should have launched Pascal. Then buy a Pascal GPU, and then at that point, Kaby Lake should be launched, and you can get a new platform with Kaby Lake, a new motherboard, and DDR4 (or Skylake-E even...).

GPU and motherboards/platforms are on the verge of awesome things. Wait on those. I for one can't wait until Skylake-E hits with Alpine Ridge controllers and DMI 3.0.

^ This

Couldn't agree more. :)

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

980 Ti and save the money you'll otherwise be spending on a Titan X. Then use that saved money for the monitors.

also, it's not funny to tease someone just because they can't afford it.

Yeah i was thinking that as well, but i'm not as keen on new monitors you see because i was thinking of upgrading the cpu or something along those lines.

Its okay he does the same to me when he gets a new laptop etc... We have a mutual understanding :P

I like your thinking, here have a cookie :) TBH though i don't think upgrading the SSD could help much

Yeah i was thinking that as well, but i'm not as keen on new monitors you see because i was thinking of upgrading the cpu or something along those lines.

Its okay he does the same to me when he gets a new laptop etc... We have a mutual understanding :P

Upgrade that PSU to a Seasonic M12II 650W or a Seasonic X-650. Or an EVGA equivalent.

Get a better CPU. Like a 4690. Skylake isn't much of an upgrade for you IMO. It's just a waste of money... unless you have that lol

I see. Shame on me for assuming he can't compete with you lol

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Haha i've had many people pull me up on the fact that i bought this psu, the reason being: i had little to no money when i built this rig and a friend had one in storage, i looked up on it and talked to a few people who said that it would have to do and that they themselves have had no problem with this power supply in particular.

There, i've said it...

I'd go for a 980Ti and a better monitor set up. triple 1080p, or an ultrawide?

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

Upgrade that PSU to a Seasonic M12II 650W or a Seasonic X-650. Or an EVGA equivalent.

Get a better CPU. Like a 4690. Skylake isn't much of an upgrade for you IMO. It's just a waste of money... unless you have that lol

upgrading to a 4690 is a utter waste

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Okay seems like a sensible option. Thanks for your psu suggestion although im worried later down the track when i might run into troubles with psu capacity once i start adding multi gpu layouts and moar powerful cpu's. Also if im gonna upgrade the psu ill probably go gold or platinum, just for the sake of not wanting to upgrade it any further. Just adding on the fact that i want to upgrade this pc so that it will last me a good while without having to upgrade it once more

Okay seems like a sensible option. Thanks for your psu suggestion although im worried later down the track when i might run into troubles with psu capacity once i start adding multi gpu layouts and moar powerful cpu's. Also if im gonna upgrade the psu ill probably go gold or platinum, just for the sake of not wanting to upgrade it any further. Just adding on the fact that i want to upgrade this pc so that it will last me a good while without having to upgrade it once more

*sell your old CPU if you upgrade it

Get the Seasonic X-850 then. 850W is enough for 980 Ti in SLI lol.

*sell your old CPU if you upgrade it

Get the Seasonic X-850 then. 850W is enough for 980 Ti in SLI lol.

yeah good idea, was thinking of selling it to a mate who wants to build himself a system.

maybe i should go for another 770 in sli if i want MOAR POWER from my system or something and sell them off later when i upgrade?

yeah good idea, was thinking of selling it to a mate who wants to build himself a system.

maybe i should go for another 770 in sli if i want MOAR POWER from my system or something and sell them off later when i upgrade?

Oh there you go :D

Sell the 770 now and get a 980 Ti (or a 390/X). It's better in the long term mainly because selling two 770's in the future won't yield you much. But selling a single 980 Ti in the future will most likely yield you better money :)

Oh there you go :D

Sell the 770 now and get a 980 Ti (or a 390/X). It's better in the long term mainly because selling two 770's in the future won't yield you much. But selling a single 980 Ti in the future will most likely yield you better money :)

good point sir, but what you are saying by that (just to clarify) is i should upgrade both the psu and the gpu at the same time or just the gpu

clarifying your clarification: Just change the GPU entirely instead of getting another GTX 770 for SLI. Upgrade the PSU as well. If budget allows it, get a new PSU :)

ps I just realized it now. you're gaming at 1080p. You'll be able to do play games on max with a R9 390. The 980 Ti to drive your monitor for games is just overkill, haha. But then bragging rights

okay cool thanks man. Haha yeah im tossing up what to do with my monitors at the moment and i would rather have more headroom to breathe if i might wanna go 4k or something along those lines. Thanks for your help though

And yes.... Bragging rights ;)

oh yes also i forgot to mention that i want to play star citizen on high settings and yes i know that its probably better to go with amd for this game but i also like the phys-x thing that nvidea has going for them and i've had better expierence with nvidea playing ArmA 3 with it's phys-x as well.

okay cool thanks man. Haha yeah im tossing up what to do with my monitors at the moment and i would rather have more headroom to breathe if i might wanna go 4k or something along those lines. Thanks for your help though

And yes.... Bragging rights ;)

Goodluck man!

ps Sorry for the terrible grammar. My brain is failing atm. It's past 1am where I live haha

Goodluck man!

ps Sorry for the terrible grammar. My brain is failing atm. It's past 1am where I live haha

Thank you, gonna need it with the amount of luck i'm normally entitled to and its currently 4:06am where i am so keep goin strong :)

Right now im doing some work that i didn't do because i was out with my girlfriend, she has no idea the things i do for her haha but i believe thats a topic for another thread ;)

I like your thinking, here have a cookie :) TBH though i don't think upgrading the SSD could help much

Let me rephrase: get a bigger SSD so you don't need an HDD, especially since you HDD is only 500 GB.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

Let me rephrase: get a bigger SSD so you don't need an HDD, especially since you HDD is only 500 GB.

ah, good idea but to be honest i don't mind the longer load times for games and i've never filled up my 125gb ssd. I'd probably go ahead and get a 1tb WD Black