Microsoft Display Dock - Turns Windows 10 Mobile into a PC

GoodBytes

Where they could use 64bit architecture (if they invested) they are smart keeping it limited from running normal desktop apps, this way it promotes developers to build for the Windows marketplace which is... lacking :P

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

That's what im worried about. The 950 and 950XL only supporting it is an artificial limitation. The only thing stopping anything else from working is Microsoft and that USB C Cable (for the time being). They need money after the billion dollar write off of Nokia.

That's a major assumption. MicroUSB does not do video out unless its MHL (RIP My Note 5) and there is most likely technology inside the device to handle such features. USB Type C (3.1) is not just microUSB in another size, the host controllers and rated speeds and power delivery vastly outperforms USB 2.0

My guess is as good as yours until we have more info about it.

i wonder if this would work with any other phone with Type-C...

imagine an android based desktop experience from a phone!

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

That's what im worried about. The 950 and 950XL only supporting it is an artificial limitation. The only thing stopping anything else from working is Microsoft and that USB C Cable (for the time being). They need money after the billion dollar write off of Nokia.

If Microsoft "needed" money they wouldn't be trying to extract it out of the phone division I can promise you that.

They likely aren't allowing it on the lower spec'd phone because the specs aren't good enough for a satisfactory experience. Remember that when its driving the external monitor with apps on it, the phone is still fully functional as a standalone experience meaning, taking calls and running apps on the phone screen, etc. separately from what is happening on the external monitor with the keyboard and mouse.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

If Microsoft "needed" money they wouldn't be trying to extract it out of the phone division I can promise you that.

They likely aren't allowing it on the lower spec'd phone because the specs aren't good enough for a satisfactory experience. Remember that when its driving the external monitor with apps on it, the phone is still fully functional as a standalone experience meaning, taking calls and running apps on the phone screen, etc. separately from what is happening on the external monitor with the keyboard and mouse.

The specs are good enough except for that USB C port.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This might be amazing for office use as thin clients.

@GoodBytes do you know if RDP works on windows phones?

Windows Phone 8 has RDP. You can get it from the Windows Store (free, of course).

I see a preview version (beta) of a Windows 10 app version, but no mobile yet (probably because Windows 10 mobile isn't out yet, I can't test as I don't have a Windows Phone, to run beta version of Windows 10 mobile)

Sweet maybe I should try this as thin clients at the office..  ^_^

There must be something that let's Android do this

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

There must be something that let's Android do this

There is/was. Motorola had a smartphone that you can dock to a dock and have a media center, dock it on a laptop like system, and have a laptop with keyboard and mouse.

But it didn't caught on, because it was not as smooth as the video was showing, the OS wasn't great (experience wise), accessories were super expensive, and the phone had issues like random shutoffs, and general performance issues.

Basically, the technology wasn't there, and Type-C USB wasn't there, and so they used a custom connector which takes more room, and isn't as good as proper connector, leading to connection issues.

Yes but I am worried about how limited it could be, will third party devs even bother adding this feature to their apps/games etc

Shame it doesn't run an Atom or something and let you run full desktop

Universal apps work for both windows 10 mobile and windows 10 PC.

what if there was a dock like the msi gpu dock. but with a external cpu. like this.  then it would connect to your phonem expanding its capabilities.

the cpu on the phone is adequate to run windows, obviously you're not going to play gta5 on it but that's not the point.

I am curious to see how a UI designed for a 5" phone, maybe an app that works in portrait works on a 20" monitor

what about games? etc etc.. the developer surely has to design their app for both styles of usage etc, add in mouse support and things

The resolution on a monitor is likely going to be lower then the one on the phone at 1440p.

Universal apps work for both windows 10 mobile and windows 10 PC.

yes I know, 100 people have said this now, 

surely the app developer needs to take into account an app being universal, and adding in support for different resolutions and screen shapes and sizes, UI elements changing, different input methods etc

Sure Office and Email etc might be fine, but I would bet many 3rd party apps and games dont feature this 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Sure Office and Email etc might be fine, but I would bet many 3rd party apps and games dont feature this 

Games is hard because of the chip being limited to a limited version of OpenGL/DirectX.

No need to. Windows 10 Universal Apps give support for all this out of the box for developers. In fact it is already implements, you can't not have it unless you purposefully design it as such. Universal Apps idea, is that apps design with it auto adapted with any DPI setting, window size, and provide pen/ink support and touch screen support. No special version app needs to be done per se.

I agree, an Atom based Windows 10 phone would be really cool, even if performance is ultra sucky.

Yes but I am worried about how limited it could be, will third party devs even bother adding this feature to their apps/games etc

Shame it doesn't run an Atom or something and let you run full desktop

In the future, desktop apps will be able to be put in the store. The developer just has to port their app so it can do that.

Also, rumors have it that there is a Windows Phone in development that will have an Intel mobile cpu. So in the future, there could be win32 apps able to be used by your phone and a person who only needs a lower powered PC to do some computing could only need a phone and some peripherals.

In the future, desktop apps will be able to be put in the store. The developer just has to port their app so it can do that.

Also, rumors have it that there is a Windows Phone in development that will have an Intel mobile cpu. So in the future, there could be win32 apps able to be used by your phone and a person who only needs a lower powered PC to do some computing could only need a phone and some peripherals.

Thats the point I was making, the onus is on the developer to port or make their app in a way that works, and so far 3rd party software support on windows phone is lacking, so its hard to see how widely this functionality will be used

Time will tell ofc

If it ran proper x86 windows programs that would be awesome, as I said before 3 years ago they did an intel atom smartphone running  full windows so its possible

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thats the point I was making, the onus is on the developer to port or make their app in a way that works, and so far 3rd party software support on windows phone is lacking, so its hard to see how widely this functionality will be used

Time will tell ofc

If it ran proper x86 windows programs that would be awesome, as I said before 3 years ago they did an intel atom smartphone running  full windows so its possible

But then again, with Windows 10 it's really not just about windows mobile anymore because of how easy it is to make your app for mobile and PC at the same time. If developers start making their apps for windows 10 store then it will hopefully do the same for windows mobile.

BUT we will see.

Even if you have an x86 CPU in the phone, don't expect Windows 10 Mobile running them. There is a few problem

1- Already most Win32 (desktop software) programs are not high-DPI aware, so they'll be impossible to navigate, let alone just close.

2- Most Win32 programs aren't touch friendly.

3- Sure you can make them run only on the desktop mode, but now you have programs that only runs under some conditions, I am not sure Microsoft is willing to provide this inconsistent experience. We would understand how it works and all, but others not.

Even if you have an x86 CPU in the phone, don't expect Windows 10 Mobile running them. There is a few problem

1- Already most Win32 (desktop software) programs are not high-DPI aware, so they'll be impossible to navigate, let alone just close.

2- Most Win32 programs aren't touch friendly.

3- Sure you can make them run only on the desktop mode, but now you have programs that only runs under some conditions, I am not sure Microsoft is willing to provide this inconsistent experience. We would understand how it works and all, but others not.

But they have to be submitted to the windows store though. IF they are submitted to the store then would they have to support a few things such high dpi and maybe touch?

IDK the answer to this though.

But they have to be submitted to the windows store though. IF they are submitted to the store then would they have to support a few things such high dpi and maybe touch?

IDK the answer to this though.

It means that Microsoft need validation, and it means that Microsoft needs to see the source code. The Universal app framework is a sandbox environment (much like on Android and iOS), so there is this massive wall that limits A LOT of security issues. Not all, as we can see, but a lot. Win32 sadly have none of that. IN a way we can have our CCleaner, Defrag software using custom algorithms, system tweak tools, and so on, but the downside is lack of security.

Dont forget that while microsoft have undoubtedly had input into the 950 & 950xl the design for these phones would have been started while nokia was still an independent company.

I could easily imagine them launching a surface phone next year as the phones above are part of the lumia line up. I wouldnt be surprised if they used a core m chip or one of the stronger new atom chips (the atom x7-z8700 boosts up to 2.4 ghz and is a quad core chip launched earlier this year on the 14mm process) a phone with a chip like this would be pretty powerful and I assume with the amount of phones windows 10 mobile is comming to it wont be resource hungry anyway.

They have already put liquid cooling into the 950 & 950xl as mentioned in the key note its based on the same tech as the surface tablet cooling system so they wouldnt need to build from scratch anyway.

It means that Microsoft need validation, and it means that Microsoft needs to see the source code. The Universal app framework is a sandbox environment (much like on Android and iOS), so there is this massive wall that limits A LOT of security issues. Not all, as we can see, but a lot. Win32 sadly have none of that. IN a way we can have our CCleaner, Defrag software using custom algorithms, system tweak tools, and so on, but the downside is lack of security.

OH yes, I understand that. I was just wondering if there would be certain requirements to reach validation.