Microsoft Display Dock - Turns Windows 10 Mobile into a PC

GoodBytes

I wish this was actually a dock your phone was cradled into, or at least an option for one.

Also, @GoodBytes, you misspelled Microsoft in the title m8

Third party accessories ftw. Don't think there's anything proprietary inside that dock anyway

I wish this was actually a dock your phone was cradled into, or at least an option for one.

Also, @GoodBytes, you misspelled Microsoft in the title m8

You get 5 full cookies BOXES! :)

Third party accessories ftw. Don't think there's anything proprietary inside that dock anyway

Nope :)

A super quick look on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012TFAW10?keywords=Lumia%20950&qid=1444155338&ref_=sr_1_15&s=wireless&sr=1-15

Not sure if they are already alternate dock options, but I don't see why not. DisplayPort video/audio data is passed through as packets, that is why it can be merged with USB Type-C which works the same way. So expect to see USB Type-C to DisplayPort cables as well, and inexpensive dock stations (no special chip needed)

So when you use the dock, you can STILL use the phone as the same time! So while you do work, you can handle phone calls and everything. It is understandable the performance selected for the device at this point.

Also it looks like this.

Thats cool

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You get 5 full cookies BOXES! :)

I hope they're Chips Ahoy™.

Nope :)

A super quick look on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012TFAW10?keywords=Lumia%20950&qid=1444155338&ref_=sr_1_15&s=wireless&sr=1-15

Not sure if they are already alternate dock options, but I don't see why not. DisplayPort video/audio data is passed through as packets, that is why it can be merged with USB Type-C which works the same way. So expect to see USB Type-C to DisplayPort cables as well, and inexpensive dock stations (no special chip needed)

But it's not a powered dock with 3 USB, DP & HDMI. I'll gladly sell my android tablet and get a nice cheap monitor & paired it with the phone.

But it's not a powered dock with 3 USB, DP & HDMI. I'll gladly sell my android tablet and get a nice cheap monitor & paired it with the phone.

True. But i only did a quick look. Amazon was filled with cases and screen protector for it, already.

I am sure it will come.

Still OS wise, I don;t really see Android as a suitable Desktop exp tbh. some people might beg to disagree but thats my personal feelings on it

And true, but For most productivity stuff its covered.....which is what MS is targeting. Also Theres VLC too. so multimedia needs (assuming the Chip can pull off decoding the content you have/need/want) is covered too.

Well if anyone can pull it off then it'll be Microsoft. But as it stands right now, I'd say both Windows Phone and Android are equally unsuited for a desktop OS. The few programs I can see it working well with are already on both platforms anyway (like MS Office).

I like the idea but if I am going to sit down at a large monitor I would want to use my x86 programs and not cut down Metro versions.

It's nice to have the option though.

I believe that Windows 10 mobile also supports the Intel Atom. Dunno if you can run x86 apps on those phones, though.

Really neat :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

No need to. Windows 10 Universal Apps give support for all this out of the box for developers. In fact it is already implements, you can't not have it unless you purposefully design it as such. Universal Apps idea, is that apps design with it auto adapted with any DPI setting, window size, and provide pen/ink support and touch screen support. No special version app needs to be done per se.

I agree, an Atom based Windows 10 phone would be really cool, even if performance is ultra sucky.

An atom x5 or x7 would preform pretty well I reckon.

WOW! Are you serious? I'm mad! Really MAD!

Is there any way that anything similar to this exists but using a MICRO USB port instead?

If not then I'll be furious. Microsoft was *this close* to losing a customer (they would have if i didn't hate google so much).

A dear loyal customer I might add!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Microsoft is finally getting serious in the mobile phone sector.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

WOW! Are you serious? I'm mad! Really MAD!

Is there any way that anything similar to this exists but using a MICRO USB port instead?

If not then I'll be furious. Microsoft was *this close* to losing a customer (they would have if i didn't hate google so much).

A dear loyal customer I might add!

Why would you need a micro USB when the phone has the new type-c USB?

Anyone else notice the Halo app in the start menu? 54b168c20a.jpg

Microsoft could be hinting something :P

Why would you need a micro USB when the phone has the new type-c USB?

I own a modern windows phone which came out in 2015 (look at signature). It uses Micro USB and i want a dock like thing for it. It has WP 8.1 but will be upgrade able to W10 mobile.

Anyone else notice the Halo app in the start menu? 54b168c20a.jpg

Microsoft could be hinting something :P

I think it's just them self advertising/promoting themselves. It costs $5 ish dollars on Windows Store.

Edited by Godlygamer23

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Are you trying to be an annoying and a troll?

And people call me bleeding edge?

I own a modern windows phone which came out in 2015 (look at signature).

It uses Micro USB and i want a dock like thing for it. It has WP 8.1 but will be upgrade able to W10 mobile.

No need to get snarky. Afaik only 950 and 950XL will have the FULL Continuum experience simply because of they have the hardware for it. You can use miracast for your 640xl but I don't think the phone will support Continuum. 

AluminiumTech, on 07 Oct 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:

I think it's just them self advertising/promoting themselves. It costs $5 ish dollars on Windows Store.

Oh so there is actually a Halo game available for PC? (besides that free one). Is one of those top-down ones?

I am curious to see how a UI designed for a 5" phone, maybe an app that works in portrait works on a 20" monitor

what about games? etc etc.. the developer surely has to design their app for both styles of usage etc, add in mouse support and things

It will be running the Universal appls like on desktop Windows 10, which are already designed to adapt to whatever screen size or shape natively.

Oh so there is actually a Halo game available for PC? (besides that free one). Is one of those top-down ones?

It's not necessarily for PC per say. It is a windows phone game but i think it could be universal. It's more like Modern Combat 5 except with Halo stuff instead of Modern Combat stuff.

No need to get snarky. Afaik only 950 and 950XL will have the FULL Continuum experience simply because of they have the hardware for it. You can use miracast for your 640xl but I don't think the phone will support Continuum. 

That's what im worried about. The 950 and 950XL only supporting it is an artificial limitation. The only thing stopping anything else from working is Microsoft and that USB C Cable (for the time being). They need money after the billion dollar write off of Nokia.

i think this exists so that old people don't need 2 machines and their phone can be their only computer and just dock it for big screen stuff that they would usually do.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

That's actually a pretty cool device

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

And this another reason why I like my Icon :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

i think this exists so that old people don't need 2 machines and their phone can be their only computer and just dock it for big screen stuff that they would usually do.

Perfect use case

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City