Microsoft Display Dock - Turns Windows 10 Mobile into a PC

GoodBytes

No you can't run your favorite desktop/laptop Windows programs. Sorry but CPU architecture differences doesn't allow this.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-06_at_15.50.04.0.png

The Microsoft DisplayDock is a USB Type-C connector for the new flag ship Lumia 950 and 950XL Windows 10 Mobile phone, which you can connect to it, and gives you not only HDMI and DisplayPort support, but you can connect a keyboard, mouse, and even a USB flash drive or external HDD and access its content.

When using the doc, your TV or computer monitor will display a desktop interface, like normal Windows 10, with the start menu and everything. Installed Windows Apps such as Facebook, Netflix, Spottily, Grove Music, Mail, Calendar, etc. will all run in window mode, like they do in your desktop running Windows 10 right now!

If you have Office 365, you can get Word, PowerPoint, and Excel Mobile versions and do productivity work that way on the go. Whether be a small computer on the side when you work, or doing light work on the go, this phone fill that needs.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9453577/microsoft-display-dock-announced-price-release-date-continuum

We already know that Windows 10 Mobile has MKV playback support, MP4, FLAC and many other video format built-in, and VLC does exists for the Windows 8/10 devices.

Already accessories on Amazon pop-up for the Lumia 950 and 950XL, such as a USB Type-C to a standard full size USB 3.0 plug, so the dock is not really needed if you just want to plug an external HDD, or flash drive and access the content from it.

Honestly, Windows 10 Mobile looks more and more interesting. It is nice to see that Microsoft is actually being really serious this time around. And if you check the Windows 10 App store, it is nice to see that support for the platform is growing. Slowly, but growing. It would be even better to see an Android / Windows Phone hybrid phone, just to have something to return to, if Windows 10 Mobile isn't up to the level. Of course, Windows 10 Mobile will not, and will never have all the customizability of Android. It clearly doesn't even try to be that, but rather be a middle ground between Apple and Android, but currently, more closely to Apple based on the current development build. But only time will say once the OS is officially released, and what Windows 10.1 will bring on the table.

Do you think this is a neat feature? In the future as Windows 10 Mobile gets more apps, at least covering the basics, do you see giving it a chance?

That's actually fucking amazing.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Do you think this is a neat feature? In the future as Windows 10 Mobile gets more apps, at least covering the basics, do you see giving it a chance?

Yes but I am worried about how limited it could be, will third party devs even bother adding this feature to their apps/games etc

Shame it doesn't run an Atom or something and let you run full desktop

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That's a really cool feature, but I think the usage is very limited since it will only run the Metro apps and not x86 programs.

I can see it being very useful for people who use Office since that exists for Windows Phone.

Actually looking forward to seeing this phone, Windows Phone is starting to look more compelling than ever, give it a few more key apps and it might start to become a major competitor with Android/iOS.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

that is really good but still......windows stores lack of apps is always going to hold it back

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

This is amazing considering MS going for universal apps and the continuity thing.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yes but I am worried about how limited it could be, will third party devs even bother adding this feature to their apps/games etc

what if there was a dock like the msi gpu dock. but with a external cpu. like this.  then it would connect to your phonem expanding its capabilities.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

what if there was a dock like the msi gpu dock. but with a external cpu. like this.  then it would connect to your phonem expanding its capabilities.

just get an intel compute stick or something and not waste your phones battery and storage

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No need to. Windows 10 Universal Apps give support for all this out of the box for developers. In fact it is already implements, you can't not have it unless you purposefully design it as such. Universal Apps idea, is that apps design with it auto adapted with any DPI setting, window size, and provide pen/ink support and touch screen support. No special version app needs to be done per se.

I agree, an Atom based Windows 10 phone would be really cool, even if performance is ultra sucky.

That's actually fucking amazing.

This isn't new, it's merely a fancy OTG system.  I got a $10 USB hub with OTG ports on it and I use it all the time.  You do although, need a special OTG cable which aren't expensive by any means but they don't charge your device, they just use OTG.  These OTG cables come in a variety of ends, use the one that plugs into your phones charging port. 

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

No need to. Windows 10 Universal Apps give support for all this out of the box for developers. In fact it is already implements, you can't not have it unless you purposefully design it as such. Universal Apps idea, is that apps design with it auto adapted with any DPI setting, window size, and provide pen/ink support and touch screen support. No special version app needs to be done per se.

I agree, an Atom based Windows 10 phone would be really cool, even if performance is ultra sucky.

Ah I see, well thats interesting, that apps will auto scale etc, that could mean a bit more usage though windows phone still lacks apps I want

did you ever see those atom based phones than ran desktop windows 7? the magic w3 came out in like 2011

wpid-windows7hold.jpeg

It's not a feature you "add"

Supposedly all Windows store apps will work.

edit: woops didn;t see the post above

just get an intel compute stick or something and not waste your phones battery and storage

my problem with the compute stick is that it needs to be plugged in the wall. not direcly in the projector/ screen

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

This isn't new, it's merely a fancy OTG system.  I got a $10 USB hub with OTG ports on it and I use it all the time.  You do although, need a special OTG cable which aren't expensive by any means but they don't charge your device, they just use OTG.  These OTG cables come in a variety of ends, use the one that plugs into your phones charging port. 

Don't think OTG supports Video out. Nor do most OS allow for this kind of use tbh.

It's not a feature you "add"

Supposedly all Windows store apps will work.

I am curious to see how a UI designed for a 5" phone, maybe an app that works in portrait works on a 20" monitor

what about games? etc etc.. the developer surely has to design their app for both styles of usage etc, add in mouse support and things

Don't think OTG supports Video out. Nor do most OS allow for this kind of use tbh.

HDMI to your monitor

OTG with keyboard and  mouse = android on monitor with keyboard and mouse support

(obviously not as simple as one cable, and the apps are just phone apps)

my problem with the compute stick is that it needs to be plugged in the wall. not direcly in the projector/ screen

its HDMI on the end... it just also needs a USB port for power which some monitors/TV etc have (or just into the mains)

its is a new standard in some chip sets used for USB type C, so the displayport part is relatively new. its the same tech as the new macbook uses.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Samsung use the 11 pin MHL connector just so that they could run USB at the same time? There are lots of adapters for it but I am not entirely sure you can use the USB port for data or if it's just for power.

Android works as you would expect with a keyboard and mouse as well.

Expect to see more of this when USB type C takes off.

I like the idea but if I am going to sit down at a large monitor I would want to use my x86 programs and not cut down Metro versions.

It's nice to have the option though.

I am curious to see how a UI designed for a 5" phone, maybe an app that works in portrait works on a 20" monitor

what about games? etc etc.. the developer surely has to design their app for both styles of usage etc, add in mouse support and things

HDMI to your monitor

OTG with keyboard and  mouse = android on monitor with keyboard and mouse support

(obviously not as simple as one cable, and the apps are just phone apps)

Having used Windows 10 on both Mobile And myt surface. Most games in the store circumvent this by having KB+M support i mean WP8 phoens also supported bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Also your above solution is void. There hasn;t been a phone that has BOTH HDMI and usb inputs. And ones that have (LIke my pr4evious SE Arc S) were not this nice. :P

its is a new standard in some chip sets used for USB type C, so the displayport part is relatively new. its the same tech as the new macbook uses.

Still not the Same as OTG which the other poster mentioned.

Comon guys give MS credit where credit is due.

Tbh I'm still not sure whether this will help their mobile phone efforts, but still, I think its way better than what apple, and google (Tho less so) have done thus far.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Samsung use the 11 pin MHL connector just so that they could run USB at the same time? There are lots of adapters for it but I am not entirely sure you can use the USB port for data or if it's just for power.

Android works as you would expect with a keyboard and mouse as well.

Expect to see more of this when USB type C takes off.

I like the idea but if I am going to sit down at a large monitor I would want to use my x86 programs and not cut down Metro versions.

It's nice to have the option though.

I'm not too sure tbh. I'll give it a maybe?

Still OS wise, I don;t really see Android as a suitable Desktop exp tbh. some people might beg to disagree but thats my personal feelings on it

And true, but For most productivity stuff its covered.....which is what MS is targeting. Also Theres VLC too. so multimedia needs (assuming the Chip can pull off decoding the content you have/need/want) is covered too.

So when you use the dock, you can STILL use the phone as the same time! So while you do work, you can handle phone calls and everything. It is understandable the performance selected for the device at this point.

Also it looks like this.

wp10.jpg

I wish this was actually a dock your phone was cradled into, or at least an option for one.

Also, @GoodBytes, you misspelled Microsoft in the title m8