Smartphones can be hacked into with just one text message and then used to spy on their owners.

Oh there's plenty I can do to prevent this. Burn my smartphone, and go back to a flip phone. Problem solved.

Neo900 here i come!

Only people complaining are the ones who are hiding something. I think it is good (only in Government hands). Imagine if they did not have all these tracking things, then there would be terrorists and who knows what. I mean hell, I would rather the Government have it than some random guy who managed to hack it to get my information.

You need to go back to your soccer mum club.

Only people complaining are the ones who are hiding something. I think it is good (only in Government hands). Imagine if they did not have all these tracking things, then there would be terrorists and who knows what. I mean hell, I would rather the Government have it than some random guy who managed to hack it to get my information.

Alright then, can I have access to your bathroom while your are in it? You don't have anything to hide don't you.

It's not about having "something to hide"; it's about what you should have access to and what you shouldn't have access to.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

-snip-

@Robin88 @JAKEBAB Never did history at school. And you cannot compare the Nazi Party to our Government, one of the reasons why they hated Jews is because Hitler portrayed them as the catalyst to their downfall, before he was and during the time he was on power (only for a short time). We live in more modern and civilized times in this country, nothing like that will happen and no other countries will let that happen. And one of the reasons why it couldn't happen is because they are watching us and preventing the people who want it to happen.

Yeah I agree that no Government should have access to it, but I would rather it be them (the ones who GOVERNS us) than some random dude. But what are you going to do about it? What am I going to do about it? Nothing. We cannot do anything, so might as well as accept it as the best possible outcome, because it is the best compared to all of the other options.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Alright then, can I have access to your bathroom while your are in it? You don't have anything to hide don't you.

It's not about having "something to hide"; it's about what you should have access to and what you shouldn't have access to.

Yes but I would not let you have access. The Government, yes. They are the people who have given me, and all of you a valuable life (in some circumstances). Eg, free schools, protection etc.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Oh there's plenty I can do to prevent this. Burn my smartphone, and go back to a flip phone. Problem solved.

For the Nth time, IT. IS. NOT. ABOUT. WHETHER. OR. NOT. THEY. ARE. WATCHING. YOU. RIGHT. NOW.

It's about the fact that it can ALL be stored into a neat little searchable database, that lasts for who knows how long, and you have no control over. Sure, only the government has access to it right now, MAYBE, but in 10 or 20 years? Who's to say if/when corporations get access to it?

What?  Read what I wrote, there isn't enough storage (infrastructure) in the world to record and store everyone's phone calls and text messages.  THAT's my point.  

Yet they passed around people's nudes like it was funny internally in the NSA....Okay they don't care about us right? They have access to our information when they please and they can do as the please with zero repercussions that's the problem. It is irrelevant whether they are watching you right now, its a slippery slope. These are the first steps to an Orwellian society.

I'm not even a tinfoil hat wearing person but don't be so naive.

Do you have a shaved smooth vagina and double D's?  No?  Then I wouldn't worry your little brain about it.  They don't have access to our data whenever they want, they simply don't have the TIME TO DO THAT.  They work off leads, and then yes of course they can access anyone's phone, generally the person who is planning on sending the pentagon anthrax in most cases.

While you may lead an incredibly boring, mediocre, pointless, etc. life, some people do important things that would be of interest to agencies such as the NSA who are tasked with maintaining the status quo.

I wish someone in the mainstream media would acknowledge this sh*t. I'd be nice to not be called a 'conspiracy theorists' when I tell someone that mentioning the NSA.... You know the story.

I would imagine these incredibly important people would use encryption.  If not they're morons, and not simply because "OMG THE NSA ARE WATCHING US", but because criminal cunts are probably watching them.

Yes but I would not let you have access. The Government, yes. They are the people who have given me, and all of you a valuable life (in some circumstances). Eg, free schools, protection etc.

So you are fine with the government looking at you poop? How can you trust them when they constantly lie for their own sake.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

@Robin88 @JAKEBAB Never did history at school. And you cannot compare the Nazi Party to our Government, one of the reasons why they hated Jews is because Hitler portrayed them as the catalyst to their downfall, before he was and during the time he was on power (only for a short time). We live in more modern and civilized times in this country, nothing like that will happen and no other countries will let that happen. And one of the reasons why it couldn't happen is because they are watching us and preventing the people who want it to happen.

Yeah I agree that no Government should have access to it, but I would rather it be them (the ones who GOVERNS us) than some random dude. But what are you going to do about it? What am I going to do about it? Nothing. We cannot do anything, so might as well as accept it as the best possible outcome, because it is the best compared to all of the other options.

I absolutely can compare Nazi Germany to our government, the Nazis got into power through democracy, and once there they set about completely destroying democracy and making it so that they couldn't be removed, and that can and still does happen today.

You get to where the Nazi's did by starting with demonising the poor, the destitute and the disabled, the foreigners and protesters, then you start labeling them as dangerous and a threat to freedom and economic stability, then you bring in legislation that removes their rights and turn a blind eye to violence against them, then once you have the support of the people, you start changing laws, allowing mass surveillance and detaining without trial, and so on. Does any of this sound familiar? It should do, because take a look at what the tories have been doing in the last few years and you'll find that it is exactly what they've been doing, and that is exactly how the Nazis got to where they did, one little bit at a time.

If you think that mass surveillance isn't an issue then you're part of the problem, and if you can't join the dots and see where the potential for abuse lies then you need to wake up, this is a road to hell and it's paved by egregious acts like this and they're masked as a way to protect you from the baddies.

You'll probably claim I'm a tin foil nutjob, and you're probably right, but then again, they said that the NSA wasn't spying on us and hey, would you look at that, as it turns out, us tin foil hatters were right all along.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Encryption isn't the 'cure all' some people make it out to be. Also, if 'important' people are difficult/nearly impossible to spy on because they are 'smart' enough to counter the NSA's spying techniques, then what is the point of being able to hack smartphones with a text message? All that should be left is us lowly normal people. But didn't you say the NSA isn't interested in spying on us?

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Do you have a shaved smooth vagina and double D's?  No?  Then I wouldn't worry your little brain about it.  They don't have access to our data whenever they want, they simply don't have the TIME TO DO THAT.  They work off leads, and then yes of course they can access anyone's phone, generally the person who is planning on sending the pentagon anthrax in most cases.

First off don't sling insults, I actually work in the IT industry granted not with any intelligence agencies (yet), but you are beyond fucking naive to think there aren't ways to keep track of the data flowing in, or any advanced algorithms that sift through the streams of data for things that are flagged in their system. Given that they can pick and choose images that people send they can clearly search through the data that they store.

The NSA has yet to show if any of their programs have stopped a substantial amount of terror attacks against the US. I'll give you a hint the number is "13" since it's inception (most of it is inconclusive at best), they didn't stop the Boston bombing, they didn't stop the 15 "mass shootings" since Obama was in office. Even the FBI came out and said that they couldn't find any evidence pointing towards any substantial terror attacked stopped by these programs, and if they work on leads then why are they storing ALL the information? Why not dump what's not triggering any alerts?

First it started with "meta data" and as more and more information came out we all saw how large these programs are and what kind of data they are keeping. They have secret courts that approve this shit behind our backs. Now I fully expect them to monitor data, but there are much betters ways to do it and the public does not need full transparency because then the people they are trying to stop will have all the information.

I digress never fucking insult me again especially when I did not insult you.

EDIT: To even insinuate my example was the only form of malpractice they would have for this data is completely asinine, then trying to discredit what I was saying because it doesn't apply to me (a single person) is beyond stupid look at the bigger picture. It's foolish to pretend like these programs aren't a slippery slope.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

I absolutely can compare Nazi Germany to our government, the Nazis got into power through democracy, and once there they set about completely destroying democracy and making it so that they couldn't be removed, and that can and still does happen today.

You get to where the Nazi's did by starting with demonising the poor, the destitute and the disabled, the foreigners and protesters, then you start labeling them as dangerous and a threat to freedom and economic stability, then you bring in legislation that removes their rights and turn a blind eye to violence against them, then once you have the support of the people, you start changing laws, allowing mass surveillance and detaining without trial, and so on. Does any of this sound familiar? It should do, because take a look at what the tories have been doing in the last few years and you'll find that it is exactly what they've been doing, and that is exactly how the Nazis got to where they did, one little bit at a time.

If you think that mass surveillance isn't an issue then you're part of the problem, and if you can't join the dots and see where the potential for abuse lies then you need to wake up, this is a road to hell and it's paved by egregious acts like this and they're masked as a way to protect you from the baddies.

You'll probably claim I'm a tin foil nutjob, and you're probably right, but then again, they said that the NSA wasn't spying on us and hey, would you look at that, as it turns out, us tin foil hatters were right all along.

You are missing my point. First of all we live in a modern society where a replica of the what that Nazi's did would not work anymore, due to the fact that there will always be a strong opposition to each other. And if it started to happen, other countries would intervene. Look at the East, when shit hit the fan there, every surrounding country joined in. This also bought the USA AND RUSSIA together?!!!!!! To try and stop it.

Anyway, my point is. I can join the dots, I can see that there are a myriad of ways to abuse this. But you can't do anything about it as long as you live within that Government. So might as well accept it.

First off don't sling insults, I actually work in the IT industry granted not with any intelligence agencies (yet), but you are beyond fucking naive to think there aren't ways to keep track of the data flowing in, or any advanced algorithms that sift through the streams of data for things that are flagged in their system. Given that they can pick and choose images that people send they can clearly search through the data that they store.

The NSA has yet to show if any of their programs have stopped a substantial amount of terror attacks against the US. I'll give you a hint the number is "13" since it's inception (most of it is inconclusive at best), they didn't stop the Boston bombing, they didn't stop the 15 "mass shootings" since Obama was in office. Even the FBI came out and said that they couldn't find any evidence pointing towards any substantial terror attacked stopped by these programs, and if they work on leads then why are they storing ALL the information? Why not dump what's not triggering any alerts?

First it started with "meta data" and as more and more information came out we all saw how large these programs are and what kind of data they are keeping. They have secret courts that approve this shit behind our backs. Now I fully expect them to monitor data, but there are much betters ways to do it and the public does not need full transparency because then the people they are trying to stop will have all the information.

I digress never fucking insult me again especially when I did not insult you.

EDIT: To even insinuate my example was the only form of malpractice they would have for this data is completely asinine, then trying to discredit what I was saying because it doesn't apply to me (a single person) is beyond stupid look at the bigger picture. It's foolish to pretend like these programs aren't a slippery slope.

You called me naive, which was a subjective insult and patronizing...

Anyway, moving on from your righteousness - personally it seems to me that the rarity of intercepting such "terror" attacks is a perfect example of how little information they can actually move through.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who work in the IT industry here, myself for one.  It doesn't make me a leading expert in the NSA's advanced algorithms to filter through photos of "the girl next door".