Lumia 950 unveiled - "Liquid Cooled"?- 808, 3GB, 1440x2560 OLED

CommandMan7

The Lumia 950 has been unveiled!
microsoft-lumia-950.0.jpg
What a fitting 500th post... Anyway, it features the following specs:

Microsoft has opted for a 5.2-inch WQHD (1440 x 2560) OLED display on the Lumia 950, coupled with 3GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 808 processor. That makes it one of the more powerful Windows phones we've seen to date, and the first to make use of Qualcomm's latest processors.
Also, it has liquid cooling. Seriously.

As far as I can tell, there has been no clarification on what "liquid cooling" means. It seems like it's only on the 950XL, however.

Like previous high-end Lumia devices, Microsoft is focusing on the camera capabilities with the Lumia 950. A 20-megapixel PureView camera (with triple LED flash) will serve as the primary camera; a wide-angle 5-megapixel front-facing camera is also included.
Microsoft says there's 32GB on both this phone and the larger Lumia 950XL, as well as support for USB Type-C.

The Lumia 950's have 32GB onboard memory and are expandable via micro-SD memory, and features automatic cloud uploading to boot. Microsoft affirms that the Lumia 950 phones will be fully integrated with Windows 10 cross-compatible apps and will come with full versions of Office, Cortana, Skype and Outlook. The handsets can also power an authentic PC-like experience with Continuum, which basically lets the phones power a keyboard and a monitor to emulate a desktop environment.

Looking forward to seeing this in-person, most likely my next phone.

Sources:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9459581/microsoft-lumia-950-features

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/47865/lumia-950-950xl-liquid-cooling-4k-video-octacore-cpu/index.html

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

950 xl is liquid cooled, 950 doesn't look like it is. If it also is, why?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

very interesting indeed, might see about getting this guy

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

If the charging port is as crappy as my Lumia 822, not interested.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

By liquid cooled i think they meant Vapour Chamber. which might not be that new in phones.

If the charging port is as crappy as my Lumia 822, not interested.

USB Type-C :o so its diffferent haha

As an educated guess from the livestream images and intuition the liquid cooling probably refers to copper heatpipes filled with a liquid that conducts heat away from the chip. Sony actually does this on their 'Z' series phones and it has apparently 'fixed' the overheating problems of the 810 in phones like the Z5 compact.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

I actually hated that Panos guy presentation. He keeps repeating stuffs and throwing big words with not much info or solid context with the products showcased. Like he's talking to some preschoolers. It was pretty boring presentation overall from him IMO.

I think the 950 is liquid cooled too because the presentation barely touched on 950XL.

But the 950XL is going to be my next phone.Sucks that I have to wait till November. Pricing isn't that bad though but not sure how much it'll be once it reaches UK.

By liquid cooled i think they meant Vapour Chamber. which might not be that new in phones.

USB Type-C :o so its diffferent haha

Damn. Still, going back to flip phone. Sick of smartphone.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why not? They heat up :P its a qualcomm disaster :(

Are you thinking about qual 810? The 808 is the one more and more manufacturers are seeing as a solution since it doesn't have thermal throttling problems.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Are you thinking about qual 810? The 808 is the one more and more manufacturers are seeing as a solution since it doesn't have thermal throttling problems.

@CommandMan7 Table has it wrong. The XL has 5.4'   5.7 Screen and has the SD810 Processor running things.

The specs are for the normal 950.

But it's windows.....

so, its not like its any worse then android and ios

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

It all fall downs to preferences. I love Android phones. I have been Hardcore Apple fan boy before. Btw it really does have a good specification.

@CommandMan7 Table has it wrong. The XL has 5.4' Screen and has the SD810 Processor running things.

The specs are for the normal 950.

950XL is 5.7inch and 810

950 is 5.2inch and 808

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

It all fall downs to preferences. I love Android phones. I have been Hardcore Apple fan boy before. Btw it really does have a good specification.

yeah, it does have good specs and you cant really say one os is better since it is really down to preference 

Spoiler

As a Current WP user i have to say,.... it is worse in one aspect. App QUALITY  the Gap is smaller now and theres apps to take care of yourbasic (FB,twitter,instagram youtube) but theres alot of shitty apps in the store currently, or apss that don;t perform as well or are as up to par (FB) than their other counter parts

950XL is 5.7inch and 810

950 is 5.2inch and 808

Ahi knew i had the specs abit off. .2 of a difference was abit too little.

-snip

Yeah but the 808 is going to be a horse pushing a whale shark with such a resolution :/ and no clash of clans on windows phones aha

Groomlake Authority

Yeah but the 808 is going to be a horse pushing a whale shark with such a resolution :/ and no clash of clans on windows phones aha

LG G4 runs it with the same screen resolution

I didn't see people complaining about G4 having problems with that CPU with that resolution so I think it should be fine.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.