Microsoft Surface Book announced at Microsoft 2015 Hardware Event - NVIDIA GPU, Lastest Intel Chips

I wonder how many people will be upset by the pricing scheme.

attachicon.gifSURFACEBOOK.JPG

worst part is the 600 premium jump for 512gb and 16gb of ram, also there should be a 256gb 16gb ram i7 in between that 600$ price gap

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The only thing they say about the gpu upgrade on the preorder page is that its an nvidia geforce dgpu?  ok...so which one?

And holy balls that's priced out to lunch. $2700...get bent MS

worst part is the 600 premium jump for 512gb and 16gb of ram, also there should be a 256gb 16gb ram i7 in between that 600$ price gap

Besides the price, I like how the surface Pro 4 lets you customize it to pick and choose what CPU, Ram, and storage you want.

Surface Pro 4 with i7, 16 GB ram, 1TB SSD is $2,699

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

The only thing they say about the gpu upgrade on the preorder page is that its an nvidia geforce dgpu?  ok...so which one?

i want it to be at least a 970m but i think is going to be a 960m, i really hope is the former, would justify the premium pricing a bit

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Interesting to see that the surface pro 4 is listed as being heavier than the surface book 4. 786g vs 728g

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

its nto as if the surface was nto priced premiuemly as well :V

Isn;t that obvious ater 3 generations of pricing?

Also them trying not to step too deeply into the toes of their oem counterparts

For everyone wondering about the resolution, it should be around the Dell XPS 13, Ativ Book Pro 9 and Yoga 2. They have 13.3'' with 3200x1800 that gives 276 ppi, and this should be 13.5''.

Also a source since it's missing.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9454051/microsoft-surface-laptop-announced-specs-price-release-date

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

The releases today by Microsoft were all pretty impressive. I think this is one of the most interesting for me since I'm not a fan of the app ecosystem WP10 offers.

Gorgeous laptop, for sure. I'll wait to see what kind of battery life results we see in the real world but this could very well be my next ultrabook.

Doesn't close entirely though, kinda annoying

It'd really bother you that much? It's still pretty thin.

Though not as thin as say a Series 9 by Samsung.

I think if the hinge proves to be significantly stronger, it makes sense and is a decent trade off.

Well at least MS finally made up their mind about whether they want a tablet or laptop, and they made the right choice.  :)

What, making both?

Well, it is a premium piece of kit. It's not going to be super cheap.

I believe it's also aimed more at professionals, to whom that price is nothing.

...at least they included the pen this time. You could almost consider that a $100 value add.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

For everyone wondering about the resolution, it should be around the Dell XPS 13, Ativ Book Pro 9 and Yoga 2. They have 13.3'' with 3200x1800 that gives 276 ppi, and this should be 13.5''.

Also a source since it's missing.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9454051/microsoft-surface-laptop-announced-specs-price-release-date

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/462470-microsoft-surface-book-announced-at-microsoft-2015-hardware-event-nvidia-gpu-lastest-intel-chips/?p=6206784

Ok, I don't really mind much, as far as a convertible the Surface isn't terrible, still think it s better to have a laptop for a laptop and a tablet for a tablet though.

But what if you could just take the screen off the keyboard and use it exactly how you would use a tablet. There was that machine that had windows and android on it and you could switch between the two. With Windows 10 you are in two different environments when tablet mode is enabled compared to desktop mode and use it completely different ways. That's really what the difference between a tablet and a desktop is. Just two different environments that you use in two different ways. So, if you can capture the two environments in one device, why not just buy one nice device?

I couldn't help but cringe during the live release. I really found it difficult to watch through it. He said at one point literally word for word "it's the fastest laptop". Now the Surface Pro 4 looks really nice but I just don't see the appeal of the Surface Book.

He said things in specifics. "This is the fastest 13 inch laptop" as in all 13 inch laptops. He said either "most powerful(or fastest) laptop in its class" as well which I think he was talking more about how you can use it (laptop, pen, tablet) as well as how well it performs. No, it's not the fastest laptop ever made. It is the fastest 13 inch laptop I guess.  Also, laptop. There is a difference between things like laptop, ultrabook, and notebook.

In what fucking world are "full specs" and "tech specs" complete with just a fucking generic Nvidia dedicated GPU sentence? You know fucking crap like the 720 are technically dedicated GPUs that doesn't fucking tells me shit.

Also the pricing is quite deceiving and high considering the "dgpu" models start at like 1900

-------

Current Rig

-------

In what fucking world are "full specs" and "tech specs" complete with just a fucking generic Nvidia dedicated GPU sentence? You know fucking crap like the 720 are technically dedicated GPUs that doesn't fucking tells me shit.

Also the pricing is quite deceiving and high considering the "dgpu" models start at like 1900

The pricing thing is pretty normal tbh. Thats why they put starting at. lol

I didn't see this info in any of the other posts, so I thought I would pitch in. All pricing is in USD.

en-INTL-PDP0-Andromeda-Devices-SU3-00001

Software / Windows 10 Pro • Office 30-day trial

Exterior / Casing: Magnesium • Color: Silver • Physical buttons: Volume, Power

Dimensions / 11.50 x 7.93 x .33 in (292.10 x 201.42 x 8.45 mm)

Weight / i5/i7: 1.73lbs (786g) / m3: 1.69lbs (766g)

Storage / Solid state drive (SSD) options: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB

Display / Screen: 12.3" PixelSense™ Display • Resolution: 2763 x 1824 (267 PPI) • Aspect Ratio: 3:2 • Touch: 10 point multi-touch

Battery Life / Up to 9 hours of video playback1

Processor / 6th Gen Intel Core m3, i5, or i7

Graphics / m3 Intel HD graphics 515 • i5 Intel HD graphics 520 • i7 Intel Iris graphics

Security / TPM chip for enterprise security

Memory / 4GB, 8GB or 16GB RAM

Wireless / 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible / Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology

Ports /Full-size USB 3.0 / microSD Card reader / Headset jack / Mini DisplayPort / Cover port /Surface Connect

Cameras / video and audio /5.0 megapixel front-facing HD camera /8.0 megapixel rear-facing autofocus camera with 1080p HD video recording

Pricing

$899 / Intel Core M / 4GB / 128GB

$999 / Intel Core i5 / 4GB / 128GB

$1,299 / Intel Core i5 / 8GB / 256GB

$1,699 / Intel Core i5 / 8GB / 512GB

$1,899 / Intel Core i5 / 16GB / 512GB

$1,599 / Intel Core i7 / 8GB / 256GB

$1,799 / Intel Core i7 / 16GB / 256GB

$2,199 / Intel Core i7 / 16GB / 512GB

$2,699 / Intel Core i7 / 16GB / 1TB

en-INTL-PDP0-Atlas-Devices-CR9-00001-Lar

Software / Windows 10 Pro • Office 30-day trial

Exterior / Casing: Magnesium • Color: Silver • Physical buttons: Volume, Power

Dimensions / Laptop: 9.14 x 12.30 x 0.51- 0.90 in ( 232.1 x 312.3 x 13 -22.8 mm) / Clipboard: 8.67 x 12.30 x 0.30 in (220.2 x 312.3 x 7.7 mm)

Weight / 1.6lbs (728g)

Storage / Solid state drive (SSD) options: 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB

Display / Screen: 13.5” PixelSense display • Resolution: 3000 x 2000 (267 PPI) • Aspect ratio: 3:2 • Touch: 10 point multi-touch

Battery Life / Up to 12 hours of video playback1

Processor / 6th Gen Intel Core i5 or i7

Graphics / i5: Intel HD graphics (non-GPU) • i5/i7: NVIDIA GeForce graphics (GPU)

Security / TPM chip for enterprise security

Memory / 8GB or 16GB RAM

Wireless / 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible / Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology

Ports / Two full-size USB 3.0 / Full-size SD card reader / Surface Connect / Headset jack / Mini DisplayPort

Cameras, video and audio / 5.0 megapixel front-facing camera / 8.0 megapixel rear-facing camera with autofocus, with 1080p HD video recording

Pricing

$1,499 / Intel Core i5 / 8GB / 128GB

$1,699 / Intel Core i5 / 8GB / 256GB

$1,899 / Intel Core i5 / 8GB / 256GB / dGPU

$2,099 / Intel Core i7 / 8GB / 256GB / dGPU

$2,699 / Intel Core i7 / 8GB / 512GB / dGPU

$2,699 / Intel Core i7 / 16GB / 512GB / dGPU

EDIT: Type Cover is at the same price of $129, but you need to cough up another $30 for the finger scanner in a special Onyx model. Boh models work for the Pro 3 and Pro 4.

NOTE: Pen is included with both the Pro 4 and the Book

NOTE: according to Ex14 the base Type Cover has no fingerprint sensor, but a black only model for $30 more. I have yet to find the Type Covers on the MS Store, and will update when able. LINK

Microsoft Store

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Does not matter. Even if the performance is identical to Intel integrated graphics, as a Surface Pro 2 users, I can tell you, Intel iGPU is an insult, and ruins the device. I have already expressed my feeling on it many times before.

Still think its ridiculous that they weren't upfront with the price of the dedicated gpu version. I wonder what GPU they intend on throwing into the machine.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Still think its ridiculous that they weren't upfront with the price of the dedicated gpu version. I wonder what GPU they intend on throwing into the machine.

my guess is a 940 or something.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

I wonder how many people will be upset by the pricing scheme.

attachicon.gifSURFACEBOOK.JPG

I don't think people will be upset, but bummed out. I don't think people will be upset because this is a very high quality device in performance and engineering/design. It's very understandable why it's so expensive.

The pricing thing is pretty normal tbh. Thats why they put starting at. lol

Normal? No. It's thin. That's a price premium and hardly qualifies it as normal. If it was 1400 with a half decent GPU and that form factor, then I would be fucking impressed. At this point for 2000+ you can get something like a 970m or 980m if you go for a normal, not "Look at how thin this is!" form factor

-------

Current Rig

-------

Them prices...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

It's an ultrabook, it's not too much intended for heavy gaming or heavy workloads

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Price is a bit high still but I'm game if they have better battery life. 

$1,6999 / Intel Core i5 / 8GB / 256GB

$16,999 OMG thats a bit much!!!!

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Does not matter. Even if the performance is identical to Intel integrated graphics, as a Surface Pro 2 users, I can tell you, Intel iGPU is an insult, and ruins the device. I have already expressed my feeling on it many times before.

What if they were to include the full Broadwell Desktop level of the iris pro 6200 though? Not a chance it will include it but a what if scenario. I think it was enough to drive a normal display (certainly not 4k so this device fails there already) but alas intel has decided to just not give a fuck and hasn't released the 6200 on a chip people can normally buy on retail stores.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Normal? No. It's thin. That's a price premium and hardly qualifies it as normal. If it was 1400 with a half decent GPU and that form factor, then I would be fucking impressed. At this point for 2000+ you can get something like a 970m or 980m if you go for a normal, not "Look at how thin this is!" form factor

No you;re misunderstanding my post. ITs normal practice to have pricing announced like that. And yes I know it has a premium I said so in this or the other thread :/