Avcoor

Hi people!

Specs:

Intel i7-4770

Gigabyte H87-HD3

8GB corsair vengeance 1600

Evga gtx970 SC

Corsair TX550M

My PC suddenly started reseting at random times, sometimes even before the mobo splash. It keeps turning on and off non-stop until I cut the power from the PSU.

I already took off both HDDs and GPU, changed the RAM(I only have one stick) to other slots and the problem persists.

In the rare times it stays on long enough for me to go to the BIOS screen I looked at the PSU voltages and they were apparently fine.

What can it be or what can I do to pinpoint the source of the problem?

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas

how is your thermal compound? have you tried it with out a GPU?

I looked at the temps at the BIOS screen and they were around 50C to 56C and still reseted.

And yes, I took the GPU and my 2 HDDs off.

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas

Hi people!

Specs:

Intel i7-4770

Gigabyte H87-HD3

8GB corsair vengeance 1600

Evga gtx970 SC

Corsair TX550M

My PC suddenly started reseting at random times, sometimes even before the mobo splash. It keeps turning on and off non-stop until I cut the power from the PSU.

I already took off both HDDs and GPU, changed the RAM(I only have one stick) to other slots and the problem persists.

In the rare times it stays on long enough for me to go to the BIOS screen I looked at the PSU voltages and they were apparently fine.

What can it be or what can I do to pinpoint the source of the problem?

You have one stick of RAM if it's dead changing the slot will have little to no effect, it still could be dead RAM.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

You have one stick of RAM if it's dead changing the slot will have little to no effect, it still could be dead RAM.

Doesn't dead RAM not even let the PC go to the mobo splash screen?

Doesn't dead RAM not even let the PC go to the mobo splash screen?

Depends how dead it is haha, It might be ok for a few secs then give out resetting your system as it needs at least one stick to be functional.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Ok then it a motherboard issue which is a common flaw with the lower end and even some of the higher end gigabyte boards. You can try resetting the cmos but my guess is that you may have to RMA your board

I'll borrow a friends system so I can test his RAM, GPU and PSU.

If nothing works I'll end up buying another Mobo.

I cleared the CMOS, then the PC reseted 3 times and then decided to boot.
The GPU is still disconnected.

If its the RAM can CPU-Z give any sign?

Model: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 Black

ROcZjHB.png

Dude what the....

Since my PC went on for more than  an hour without resetting, I replugged the GPU... Only for it to reset again....

Well... I think that it signs a bad GPU, faulty MoBo or dying PSU....

And sorry for the triple post.

Sorry for the bump, but I haven't been able to find a solution yet.

I noticed that your RAM is running slower than its rated speed. also is your RAM setted in the correct slot (slot 1) plus your motherboard is a dual channel board meaning that you need 2 of the exact same RAM sticks to be in correct RAM slots. 

Hope this helps.

Hmmmm.. I read somewhere that CPU-Z always displays half of your RAM Frequency

But the weird thing i'm noticing is that CPU-Z detects my stick at Slot #4, while at the MoBo it is in the slot 1

NPRhcfZ.png

Your motherboard has dual channel memory, which means that you need 2 identical stick or RAM to put into your RAM slots. no fewer.

To get this right, you will need to buy a brand new pack of 2 stick of RAM as mixing and match RAM can be bad.

Hope this helps.

Your motherboard has dual channel memory, which means that you need 2 identical stick or RAM to put into your RAM slots. no fewer.

To get this right, you will need to buy a brand new pack of 2 stick of RAM as mixing and match RAM can be bad.

Hope this helps.

No dude. Being a Dual Channel board only means that running memory in dual channel will wield the best performance, but you can still use it as single channel. My PC is 2 years old... 2 years of nearly daily heavy gaming, if this was the problem it would have appeared long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-D8fhsXqq4o

Edited by Avcoor

Hope this helps.

Not true, if you don't know what you're talking about, please don't give false information. I have mix an match ram and they're overclocked working fine if I tune them in by hand in the bios.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

I'll borrow a friends system so I can test his RAM, GPU and PSU.

If nothing works I'll end up buying another Mobo.

Did you borrow his stuff? What happened?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

I looked at the temps at the BIOS screen and they were around 50C to 56C and still reseted.

And yes, I took the GPU and my 2 HDDs off.

Did you try using a different Power Supply?

OK.... Now things get weird

Tried once again to boot my PC with my Graphics Card... random resets.
Removed it... normal boot

Tested my RAM with Memtest64...all OK

Got a friend's system

Tested his RAM (HX316C10FW/4 x2) on my PC... random resets
Put my RAM back..boots fine
Put his GPU (EVGA GeForce GTX750) and stress test it... no resets

Put my GPU back and stress test it... BOOTS FINE AND NO RESET... WHAT THE HELL?!
Didn't test my GPU on his system or his PSU on mine because it was a generic Multilaser 500W that didn't even have the PCI-E 6+2 pins connectors.

Ok, I know I should have tested only one of his sticks.
I've noticed that the +12V readings when on GPU load, go down from 12.096V to 11.808V, is it normal?

What in the heavens can it be?!

Edited by Avcoor

OK.... Now things get weird

Tried once again to boot my PC with my Graphics Card... random resets.

Removed it... normal boot

Tested my RAM with Memtest64...all OK

Got a friend's system

Tested his RAM (HX316C10FW/4 x2) on my PC... random resets

Put my RAM back..boots fine

Put his GPU (EVGA GeForce GTX750) and stress test it... no resets

Put my GPU back and stress test it... BOOTS FINE AND NO RESET... WHAT THE HELL?!

Didn't test my GPU on his system or his PSU on mine because it was a generic Multilaser 500W that didn't even have the PCI-E 6+2 pins connectors.

Ok, I know I should have tested only one of his sticks.

I've noticed that the +12V readings when on GPU load, go down from 12.096V to 11.808V, is it normal?

What in the heavens can it be?!

Is your motherboard BIOS updated?

Is your motherboard BIOS updated?

I know you think your helping, but you aren't, a bios update or reset will not fix this issue.

SNIP

I'm starting to think it's your motherboard giving up it's ghosts, the random resets are genuinely random which could be the board dying. Do you have a local PC hardware store by you? Can you ask for a replacement board to try out the last piece of this puzzle i.e. your board? In all honesty you should have put all your parts into his system and see if it got random resets so you could rule out the motherboard and PSU.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

I have another friend with a more gaming oriented PSU and the micro-atx version of my board but he is currently out of town. I'll see if I can get his system.

By the symptoms the MoBo is most likely the culprit.

My real doubt right now is the lowering of the +12V value, if its normal or indicates a dying or faulty PSU.

Oh, by the PC gods....

It started resetting again with the graphics card on. I've removed it and the PC booted.

Damn... And I'm far from getting the money to buy a new MoBo and Fallout 4 is just around the corner.

D:

Oh, by the PC gods....

It started resetting again with the graphics card on. I've removed it and the PC booted.

Damn... And I'm far from getting the money to buy a new MoBo and Fallout 4 is just around the corner.

D:

Tell me about it.  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Oh, by the PC gods....

D:

My money is on the board tbh.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken