Big time Linux kernel dev Sarah Sharp quits due to personal attacks by other Linux kernel devs

GoodBytes

you sure it's a "liberal democrat" behaviour? I don't want to be judgemental, but a quick look her twitter reveals she might be similar in personality to Brianna Wu, and I suffered though the David Pakman, Brianna Wu interview, and even Pakman who is as "whiny ass liberal democrat" as it comes was too "offensive" for her. so it might be a different type of behaviour

I don't know who either of those people are, all I know is that this kind of shit is what's wrong with people today. They complain about something that doesn't directly involve them, annoy the hell out of people, and then whine when they catch backlash for it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

There has to be more context than 5 emails. I'm not convinced.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Why is it that there are so many female developers (of anything) out there that starts drama out of absolutely nothing and then tries to make it seem like she was a victim all along and paint that group of people as evildoers? It is getting out of hand and making us all look like we need a room in an insane asylum...

I bet because of this Fembots will now call the Linux community a community of rapists, racists, etc etc withtheirnormalbs. -_-

Just the undercurrent of this topic is part of the reason why linux is not taken seriously by many companies and so little product support is there.

:lol:

I don't know who either of those people are, all I know is that this kind of shit is what's wrong with people today. They complain about something that doesn't directly involve them, annoy the hell out of people, and then whine when they catch backlash for it.

Whatever you do, do not google Brianna Wu. Just...just don't.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

brianna wu, zoe quinn, and antita sarkesian are in the same bunch, I googled sarah sharp opened the twitter link and the first picture I saw was she retreating those three sitting next to each other probably at some women in gaming event.

brianna wu, zoe quinn, and antita sarkesian are in the same bunch, I googled sarah sharp opened the twitter link and the first picture I saw was she retreating those three sitting next to each other probably at some women in gaming event.

Oh god.

Correction, they aren't liberal democrats, they're parasites. Victimizing themselves to get famous.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Sorry, next time I'll be more specific for you. Also when people start complaining about their android phones from now on I'll remind them its really a Linux kernel phone they should be talking shit about, its all about the details afterall. :)

No amount of sarcasm can disguise the saltiness of your demeanor for being called out.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What I've learned from this thread: anyone involved in Linux (user or creator) is not a nice person.

So I'll stick with Windows, you can all go be angry together.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

What I've learned from this thread: anyone involved in Linux (user or creator) is not a nice person.

That is not true actually. I did encounter nice people at University that were very Linux based OS fanatics, and had long conversation about them. Very helpful. So not everyone is like this. Online only, I have to agree with you, but that is only outside many big distro's like Ubuntu, and that is of course, just my experience. And I have to admit, I didn't check every single forum there is to actually say "everyone", but many. I think it doesn't help that I feel there is a XBox vs PlayStation type of war between distros, a bit.

Regardless of whatever field you're in... one thing is true- you'll always meet someone who's got a different good/bad mentality. Thick skin, narcissistic, victim personality, or just attention-seeking and what not, to whoever is looking at you from a bigger perspective- it will still overshadow you're accomplishments.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

It is well known that Linus Torvalds is a complete asshole even to fellow kernel devs so I'm not surprised. He must really have a lot of deep-rooted insecurities self-hatred going on to treat other people that way.

Torvalds is well known for having a no-nonsense attitude and using colorful language when discussing with other professionals:

Torvalds’ attitude and direct language have left him isolated. The proprietary software clan does not care for him. Nor do parts of the open-source clan, who want a leader more willing to spout religious zeal. Torvalds also has a tendency to be nasty to the followers he does have, peppering Linux forums with foul language and reprimands. "SHUT THE F--- UP!" he wrote to a Linux developer in 2013. "Fix your f---ing ‘compliance tool,’ because it is obviously broken. And fix your approach to kernel programming." The [community] general reaction to this was: "There goes Linus again."

At the Linux.conf.au conference Linus said:

"I am a really unpleasant person. Some people think I am nice and some people are then shocked when they learn different. I'm not a nice person and I don't care about you."

At an online chat with Finland’s Aalto University, Linus explained:

"I’d like to be a nice person and curse less and encourage people to grow rather than telling them they are idiots. I’m sorry - I tried, it’s just not in me,"

Linus has also criticized companies:

After criticizing NVIDIA’s development practices, Torvalds concluded by addressing the company directly: "NVIDIA, F-CK YOU." Torvalds proceeded to raise his hand and present his middle finger.

Linus has also criticized other operating system developers:

"I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys, in that they make such a big deal about concentrating on security to the point where they pretty much admit that nothing else matters to them."

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

"Not taken seriously by companies" except you know, the millions that use it on endless server arrays and billions with it on their pockets on Android phones. Also there's OSX which is closely related to BSD which is a cousin to Linux both being unix-like OSes....but nobody else!

The grasp for straws is real.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

So I'll stick with Windows, you can all go be angry together.

Once you get past Richard Stallman, it's actually an awesome community. I learned more from them than I have from Miami, and that's not to diminish Miami at all. Go in with the mindset you know nothing other than syntax (and even then, you'd be shocked at what twisted ways lambdas can be used to circumvent conventional C/C++ coding), and the community will adopt you pretty quickly. If after a couple months you're producing nothing, then they go silent or begin getting annoyed with you if you take up valuable time with repeated questions (save those email chains as if your life depends on it).

P.S. if anyone on LTT thinks I have an ego problem, seriously, go meet Richard Stallman and realize there are people on this earth so disgusting (hygienically and philosophically) they can make you physically ill by being in their presence, and I'm not one of those people. I'm just a dick.

He came and lectured for our university, wrote an introduction segment our chair had to read off of a notecard, and then proceeded to drink 3 20-ounce Pepsi bottles in 2 hours while rubbing lotion in his feet thinking he was funny every time he mentioned the "Amazon Kindle Swindle" (Amazon Swindle for short) before, at the end, proceeding to shake hands with students and faculty without so much as wiping his own hands off with a rag or towel. And his ego's at least double the magnitude of mine. If you can live with the fact GNU was written almost entirely by him and make it into the general population of the kernel community, you're fine. If you're a girl, sorry but there are some 50+ year-old defensive hacks that resemble Wozniak wannabes. You're just gonna have to grow a thick skin and hope they die young.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

In said work environments people are very serious and passionate about creating something worthwhile, so heavy criticism is part of the routine. I don't know how the Linux community is, but I can attest that this is the case for game development. Every meeting is basically going to a fire squad, and I for one think that that is an essential part of making the end product good.

Having said that, you will encounter people that are really unpleasant to work with professionally. Heavy criticism is fine but the person doing the criticising must be willing to help if the job requires his/her expertise. And he/she is unable to accept criticism him/herself then we're in a situation where there is no mutual respect and trust in each other. Sadly such people can hold those positions because there is nobody else to fill their shoes at that time/place. (otherwise they would have been sacked long ago) So you're forced to work with them somehow. Luckily, when you're off the clock you can just avoid them like the plague. :)

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

No amount of sarcasm can disguise the saltiness of your demeanor for being called out.

That might be true if I cared enough about the subject, or for that matter what a complete stranger felt the need to 'correct' me about with it, fortunately I don't.

Linux:the best OS with the worst community

The older members are much more a mixed bag of helpful, passionate people and egotistical demagogues with preconceptions of women's ability code stretching back to the 1950s academic community (back when social conservatives still ruled it here in the U.S. *shudders*). As the community evolves and younger people get involved, it improves both in social quality and in code quality. Hopefully GRUB 3 comes out soon. Apple's had a parallel boot loader forever, and so have server distros. Time for desktop to catch up :P

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The older members are much more a mixed bag of helpful, passionate people and egotistical demagogues with preconceptions of women's ability code stretching back to the 1950s academic community (back when social conservatives still ruled it here in the U.S. *shudders*). As the community evolves and younger people get involved, it improves both in social quality and in code quality. Hopefully GRUB 3 comes out soon. Apple's had a parallel boot loader forever, and so have server distros. Time for desktop to catch up :P

I hope you realize that the further back in history you go, the more dominant female coders get. ENIAC was entirely programmed by women and that was in the mid to late 1940.

This is what the "social conservatives" said about female programmers in the 60's:

In an article titled “The Computer Girls,” the magazine described the field as offering better job opportunities for women than many other professional careers. As computer scientist Dr. Grace Hopper told a reporter, programming was “just like planning a dinner. You have to plan ahead and schedule everything so that it’s ready when you need it…. Women are ‘naturals’ at computer programming.” James Adams, the director of education for the Association for Computing Machinery, agreed: “I don’t know of any other field, outside of teaching, where there’s as much opportunity for a woman.”

By the way, still waiting for that source on Sarah single handily written 20% of the current Linux kernel code.

I hope you realize that the further back in history you go, the more dominant female coders get. ENIAC was entirely programmed by women and that was in the mid to late 1940.

This is what the "social conservatives" said about female programmers in the 60's:

By the way, still waiting for that source on Sarah single handily written 20% of the current Linux kernel code.

An exception, not the rule.

If you'd like me to compose the list of pull requests and highlight the code line by line, I can. No one's done it since there's really no point other than partaking in a pissing match.

An exception, not the rule.

Ehm no... Women programmers were the rule back then. ENIAC was not some isolated instance and as the article I linked shows time and time again, women were heavily encourages to get into programming. The number of women getting computer science degrees was actually climbing quite rapidly until ~1985 where it started to fall.

Programming being male dominated is a fairly recent trend.

If you'd like me to compose the list of pull requests and highlight the code line by line, I can. No one's done it since there's really no point other than partaking in a pissing match.

Oh I did not know you hadn't done that already. I assumed you did since you boldly claimed that she had written 1/5 of the kernel source herself a few pages back. Since you made a claim like that I assumed that you had already done your research. So did you grab that statement out of thin air and is now going to go hunt for evidence to support it, or have you already done you research?

She does not even appear on the list of contributors on GitHub which was the source you mentioned before.

What I can find on her GitHub is two projects related to Linux.

usb-pm-tools and xHCI Kernel Mirror

The former is a  70 line long script for some USB power management.

The latter is the big one. It's the xHCI host controller driver. However Sarah did not even write that one by herself. Not only is some of the code borrowed from the Linux EHCI driver, but there are also over 2700 contributors to the project. On top of that, it's just the USB controller driver. I doubt that driver alone is over 20% of the Linux kernel. By the way, that controller driver has been merged into the master branch of Linux and you can find it in here. Everything with Sarah as the author (if we count everything as hers, which it isn't since there are other contributors) it's only like 10,000 lines of code that I can find. I doubt Linux is less than 50,000 lines of code.

It's also not under the kernel source portion.

She doesn't even appear under credits. If she was the author of 1/5 of the kernel then you'd think that she would at least appear in there.

Ehm no... Women programmers were the rule back then. ENIAC was not some isolated instance and as the article I linked shows time and time again, women were heavily encourages to get into programming. The number of women getting computer science degrees was actually climbing quite rapidly until ~1985 where it started to fall.

Oh I did not know you hadn't done that already. I assumed you did since you boldly claimed that she had written 1/5 of the kernel source herself a few pages back. Since you made a claim like that I assumed that you had already done your research. So did you grab that statement out of thin air and is now going to go hunt for evidence to support it, or have you already done you research?

She does not even appear on the list of contributors on GitHub which was the source you mentioned before.

The latter is the big one. It's the xHCI host controller driver. However Sarah did not even write that one by herself. Not only is some of the code borrowed from the Linux EHCI driver, but there are also over 2700 contributors to the project. On top of that, it's just the USB controller driver. I doubt that driver alone is over 20% of the Linux kernel. By the way, that controller driver has been merged into the master branch of Linux and you can find it in here. Everything with Sarah as the author (if we count everything as hers, which it isn't since there are other contributors) it's only like 10,000 lines of code that I can find. I doubt Linux is less than 50,000 lines of code.

She doesn't even appear under credits. If she was the author of 1/5 of the kernel then you'd think that she would at least appear in there.

I know 20% is hers just based on the code base I've analyzed over the last 2 years working under her and how much of it is still deployed. Just because the source isn't fully formed in publicly viewable in aggregate form is not enough reason to believe it doesn't exist, especially when the pieces do exist, much like how literature exists before the literature review citing them does. You sure love jumping the gun.

The Linux kernel is just over 84,000 lines of code as of what sits in Fedora 22's latest repos. All the rest of the OS is the GNU tool chain and the custom stuff of the distro. Kernels are complicated, but that doesn't make them huge. an OS is much more than a kernel.

She also has multiple github accounts (some with private repositories you have to be invited to work in).

Patrick doesn't give "sources" or "evidence" to his claims. What comes out of his mouth, turns into facts. Just like Jim Keller joining Intel. Only reason we didn't see it, is because its a secret undercover mission that Intel gave him, and only people associated with Intel know this, like Patrick. He got a phone call that told him so. 

Don't worry @patrickjp93, i got your back still. I won't let providing tangible evidence to back up your claims get in the way of you achieving your dreams. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I know 20% is hers just based on the code base I've analyzed over the last 2 years working under her and how much of it is still deployed. Just because the source isn't fully formed in publicly viewable in aggregate form is not enough reason to believe it doesn't exist, especially when the pieces do exist, much like how literature exists before the literature review citing them does. You sure love jumping the gun.

The Linux kernel is just over 84,000 lines of code as of what sits in Fedora 22's latest repos. All the rest of the OS is the GNU tool chain and the custom stuff of the distro. Kernels are complicated, but that doesn't make them huge. an OS is much more than a kernel.

She also has multiple github accounts (some with private repositories you have to be invited to work in).

Only 84k lines of code? Are you for real?

According to this it is 19.5 million lines of code. That's from the kernel source tree by the way. Here is a more detailed breakdown (The GitStat output). Sarah can be found in the "didn't make it to the top" section. By the way, the top contributor (Linus Torvalds) is sitting at 3.57% of total commits. Your claim that Sarah has written 20% of the kernel is looking less and less believable for every source I post doesn't it?

Oh I see. So she has secret github accounts where she writes under different names (because she doesn't make it to any top contributor list under her own name) and only you have access to them so we will have to just take your word for it. Right...

You are so full of shit.

According to this it is 19.5 million lines of code. That's from the kernel source tree by the way. Here is a more detailed breakdown (The GitStat output). Sarah can be found in the "didn't make it to the top" section. By the way, the top contributor (Linus Torvalds) is sitting at 3.57% of total commits. Your claim that Sarah has written 20% of the kernel is looking less and less believable for every source I post doesn't it?

Oh I see. So she has secret github accounts where she writes under different names (because she doesn't make it to any top contributor list under her own name) and only you have access to them so we will have to just take your word for it. Right...

You are so full of shit.

How dare you insult @patrickjp93. Do you know who he is?!?!?!

Eh, I give respect where it's earned and take no bullshit. I've gotten teachers fired and lawyers ruined because of that. As crass and off-putting as it is, it's not arrogance if you actually are as good as you think and sell yourself as, and IBM and their $260,000 starting salary and $50,000 signing bonus agree if I take a job with them at the end of this Fall semester.

Teachers AND lawyers fired. Clearly you do not understand how great he is.

Please don't take me seriously

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

You are so full of shit.

it's 84,000 lines for the core kernel. The rest is multiple code paths for much of the same functionality, across x86, x86_64, MIPS, ARMv7, ARM v7, Power7, and Power8, with many different options redone in assembly by hand. It's the same thing in different flavors. Can you even read computer code? The moment you did you'd see it.

He must really have a lot of deep-rooted insecurities self-hatred going on to treat other people that way.

People are horribly overrated.

And he's rude not to upset people but to be more explicit.

post-75028-0-91083100-1444246291_thumb.p