Big time Linux kernel dev Sarah Sharp quits due to personal attacks by other Linux kernel devs

GoodBytes

You must be joking. 1/5 of the current kernel is her code.

[Citation Needed]

Last time I checked she wasn't even in the top 5 contributors, much less 1/5 of the entire code base.

Edit:

Found another, more up to date article. The entire Intel team (which includes Sarah and lots of other developers) "only" accounts for 10.5% of Linux's development since 2013. That makes it even harder to believe that Sarah alone is responsible for 20% or more of the Linux kernel.

I didn't say he is lying. I am saying I doubt what he read.

I highly doubt what you are saying is true.

Ok, so your defense is that he's speaking from ignorance???

Well she works at Intel, so she definitely has a nice job. And congrats to her to make it there, it's not a company that is easy to get in, at least to my knowledge.

Most Big Software And Hardware Companies Like Intel Are Really Hard To Get In,Its Possible,But You Have To Really Want It

@GoodBytes

https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/7/23/107

Given all the comments about developer's living in mom's basement, etc if someone takes that as anything else than a joking tone doing some self mockery of the Linux user neckbeard stereotype, not much you can do for them.  Nothing directed at Sarah or said in a serious tone.

Also of interest:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/7/24/142

Hmm interesting. Thanks for those links.

I didn't post it because it just isn't newsworthy.  This kind of news only produces threads that turn into either attacks against a company/community or flamefests.

You do raise a good point I didn't thought about when I was posting this. Very well. Make that the last of it of this kind of news from me.

"Respect should be earned"

-Linus Torvalds

Respect is given to all. It can be removed, but it is a given to all. TRUST is what is earned.

Sarah has been doing shit for a long time now. I am glad she is leaving because it seems she cares more about bullying people and talking shit than actually writing code. She gets offended by jokes or insults that aren't even directed at her.

It is not a cover up story. All the mails from the mailing list can be found on public websites. For example here is the mail where he jokes about Greg being a giant and Sarah freaks out calling it "advocating for physical intimidation and violence".

Yes. I agree with you now. I do know that there is a lot of miss understanding in communication on forum/mail, especially if someone has a certain image of someone or label a person in their head of being, which can lead to miss understanding what is being said. Also, I have not read the entire conversation since day 1. A simple joke or comment can be used as an insult. Sadly it is something we do. So I am giving the benefit of the doubt.

[Citation Needed]

Last time I checked she wasn't even in the top 5 contributors, much less 1/5 of the entire code base.

Edit:

Found another, more up to date article. The entire Intel team (which includes Sarah and lots of other developers) "only" accounts for 10.5% of Linux's development since 2013. That makes it even harder to believe that Sarah alone is responsible for 20% or more of the Linux kernel.

The kernel isn't the entire OS. The top 10 contributors are basically the lead architects for Ubuntu, Mint, GNU itself, Fedora, Debian, ArchLinux, and a few other distros.

As per the citation, you can use Github as well as I can. Go look at the pull requests and proportionally how much of the code each touches. Overall about 1/5 of the existing kernel is hers, at least what's deployed in Fedora 22, which tends to be 1 or 2 updates behind for stability reasons.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

so you maon at him for not posting then say you didnt because its not news worthy.....thats hilarious!

I'm just pointing out the bias.  I thought that was pretty obvious, but perhaps it wasn't.

The kernel isn't the entire OS. The top 10 contributors are basically the lead architects for Ubuntu, Mint, GNU itself, Fedora, Debian, ArchLinux, and a few other distros.

As per the citation, you can use Github as well as I can. Go look at the pull requests and proportionally how much of the code each touches. Overall about 1/5 of the existing kernel is hers, at least what's deployed in Fedora 22, which tends to be 1 or 2 updates behind for stability reasons.

Why don't you go ahead and help us out with a nice summary of her GitHub and the kernel? Because Github has her at zero contributions in the last year from her account to any public repo.  So highlighting some pulls would be quite useful.

I'd rather deal with an honest, albeit toxic community, than the typical fake-polite + fake-enthusiasm corporate community. Then again I'm weird, fake politeness and fake enthusiasm drive me insane.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

She works for Intel. Read the article  :angry:

Sorry I skim read and must have overlooked. No need for the angry face.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

"Respect should be earned"
-Linus Torvalds

Sarah has been doing shit for a long time now. I am glad she is leaving because it seems she cares more about bullying people and talking shit than actually writing code. She gets offended by jokes or insults that aren't even directed at her.

It is not a cover up story. All the mails from the mailing list can be found on public websites. For example here is the mail where he jokes about Greg being a giant and Sarah freaks out calling it "advocating for physical intimidation and violence".

Indigo = Ingo Molnar

Blue = Steven Rostedt

Green = Linus Torvalds

Pink = Sarah Sharp

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 18:17:08 +0200, Ingo Molnar <mingo <at> kernel.org> wrote:
> * Linus Torvalds <torvalds <at> linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt <at> goodmis.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I tend to hold things off after -rc4 because you scare me more than Greg
> > > does ;-)

> >
> > Have you guys *seen* Greg? The guy is a freakish giant. He *should*
> > scare you. He might squish you without ever even noticing.

>
> Greg might be a giant and he might squish people without ever even
> noticing, but that's just a grave, deadly physical threat no real kernel
> hacker ever feels threatened by. (Not much can hurt us deep in our dark
> basements after all, except maybe earthquakes, gamma ray eruptions and Mom
> trying to clean up around the computers.)
>
> So Greg, if you want it all to change, create some _real_ threat: be frank
> with contributors and sometimes swear a bit. That will cut your mailqueue
> in half, promise!

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 08:22:27 -0700, Linus wrote:
> Greg, the reason you get a lot of stable patches seems to be that you
> make it easy to act as a door-mat. Clearly at least some people say "I
> know this patch isn't important enough to send to Linus, but I know Greg
> will silently accept it after the fact, so I'll just wait and mark it
> for stable".
>
> You may need to learn to shout at people.

Seriously, guys? Is this what we need in order to get improve -stable?
Linus Torvalds is advocating for physical intimidation and violence.
Ingo Molnar and Linus are advocating for verbal abuse.

Not *fucking* cool. Violence, whether it be physical intimidation,
verbal threats or verbal abuse is not acceptable. Keep it professional
on the mailing lists.

Let's discuss this at Kernel Summit where we can at least yell at each
other in person. Yeah, just try yelling at me about this. I'll roar
right back, louder, for all the people who lose their voice when they
get yelled at by top maintainers. I won't be the nice girl anymore.

Sarah Sharp

After that they went on to talk about cookies and brownies for a few emails (even Sarah jokes around) and then she does a 180 and starts bitching about how "I'm not going to put up with that shit any more", calls Linus an abuser and so on.

Sarah should get a job as a magician instead, because she can create drama out of thin air!

I am pretty sure that's exactly what GoodBytes wants.

Wow, really? She gets all preachy because they were making some jokes about being basement dwellers not afraid of man-giants?

Jesus christ the Politically Correct is strong with this one....

Still no citation. You can't just tell people "go look it up yourself".

I am trying to find it, but I can't even see her in the list of contributes for Linux on GitHub.

I am not sure what you mean by "the kernel isn't the entire OS". You said "Linux" which is just the kernel, and the articles I linked are only talking about the kernel.

Still no citation. You can't just tell people "go look it up yourself".

I am trying to find it, but I can't even see her in the list of contributes for Linux on GitHub.

I am not sure what you mean by "the kernel isn't the entire OS". You said "Linux" which is just the kernel, and the articles I linked are only talking about the kernel.

I enjoy his response to her whining.

"Yes. And I do it partly (mostly) because it's who I am, and partly

because I honestly despise being subtle or "nice".

The fact is, people need to know what my position on things are. And I

can't just say "please don't do that", because people won't listen. I

say "On the internet, nobody can hear you being subtle", and I mean

it.

And I definitely am not willing to string people along, either. I've

had that happen too - not telling people clearly enough that I don't

like their approach, they go on to re-architect something, and get

really upset when I am then not willing to take their work.

Sarah, first off, I don't have that many tools at hand. Secondly, I

simply don't believe in being polite or politically correct. And you

can point at all those cultural factors where some cultures are not

happy with confrontation (and feel free to make it about gender too -

I think that's almost entirely cultural too). And please bring up

"cultural sensitivity" while at it. And I'll give you back that same

"cultural sensitivity". Please be sensitive to _my_ culture too.

Google "management by perkele".

Do you really want to oppress a minority? Because Finns are a minority

compared to almost any other country. If you want to talk cultural

sensitivity, I'll join you. But my culture includes cursing.

And some of the above is written tonge-in-cheek, but all of it is also

serious. I really fundamentally believe that being honest and open

about your emotions about core/process is good. And because it's damn

hard to read people over email, I think you need to be *more* honest

and *more* open over email. I'm generally nicer in person. Not always.

And yes, I'll happily be part of the discussion at the KS. But I think

you also need to be aware that your "high horse" isn't necessarily all

that high."

No fake politeness, no fake subtlety, just telling it, like it fucking is. This woman seems like a typical whiny ass "liberal democrat" to me. I wouldn't want to work with that kind of dishonesty in the first place.

And then theses same people complain about Linux not being more popular... Well it won't be more popular if you actively chase people away from it. 

u must have a heart of steel to work with opensource devs its a fact

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

And then theses same people complain about Linux not being more popular... Well it won't be more popular if you actively chase people away from it. 

She was not chased away. She was the one being rude by cursing at people and exaggerating when she overheard a joke that didn't even involve her.

The only person to blame for her leaving is herself.

She was not chased away. She was the one being rude by cursing at people and exaggerating when she overheard a joke that didn't even involve her.

The only person to blame for her leaving is herself.

From what I read on that mailing list, she came in bitching about that joke, WAY late.

It's just like...."really?"

Sarah Sharp: I'm gonna stop contributing to this community because I don't feel comfortable with the way people communicate with each other.
The internet: WOW what a DRAMA QUEEN. The community DOESN'T NEED YOU ANYWAY BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW LONG YOU HAVEN'T BEEN FEELING COMPELLED TO CODE FOR THE COMMUNITY YOU ARE OVERREACTING AND HERE ARE THE FACTS AND blablabla.

So why can't people just let her go? I mean, she has been vocal about her reasons, I don't see the need to pull stuff from under the rug to make her look like a "damaged person" or that she needs to grow thicker skin. She just doesn't feel comfortable in that environment so she's gonna stop interacting with the kernel dev community or coding or whatever.

Sarah Sharp: I'm gonna stop contributing to this community because I don't feel comfortable with the way people communicate with each other.

The internet: WOW what a DRAMA QUEEN. The community DOESN'T NEED YOU ANYWAY BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW LONG YOU HAVEN'T BEEN FEELING COMPELLED TO CODE FOR THE COMMUNITY YOU ARE OVERREACTING AND HERE ARE THE FACTS AND blablabla.

So why can't people just let her go? I mean, she has been vocal about her reasons, I don't see the need to pull stuff from under the rug to make her look like a "damaged person" or that she needs to grow thicker skin. She just doesn't feel comfortable in that environment so she's gonna stop interacting with the kernel dev community or coding or whatever.

The internet generally reacts that way, because people like her tend to use their experiences to make themselves look like a "victim".

Just the undercurrent of this topic is part of the reason why linux is not taken seriously by many companies and so little product support is there.

"Not taken seriously by companies" except you know, the millions that use it on endless server arrays and billions with it on their pockets on Android phones. Also there's OSX which is closely related to BSD which is a cousin to Linux both being unix-like OSes....but nobody else!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just the undercurrent of this topic is part of the reason why DESKTOP linux is not taken seriously by many companies and so little product support is there.

FTFY

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

FTFY

Thank you, I didn't think I needed to get that technical about it and such would have been assumed.

No fake politeness, no fake subtlety, just telling it, like it fucking is. This woman seems like a typical whiny ass "liberal democrat" to me. I wouldn't want to work with that kind of dishonesty in the first place.

you sure it's a "liberal democrat" behaviour? I don't want to be judgemental, but a quick look her twitter reveals she might be similar in personality to Brianna Wu, and I suffered though the David Pakman, Brianna Wu interview, and even Pakman who is as "whiny ass liberal democrat" as it comes was too "offensive" for her. so it might be a different type of behaviour

"Not taken seriously by companies" except you know, the millions that use it on endless server arrays and billions with it on their pockets on Android phones. Also there's OSX which is closely related to BSD which is a cousin to Linux both being unix-like OSes....but nobody else!

Sorry, next time I'll be more specific for you. Also when people start complaining about their android phones from now on I'll remind them its really a Linux kernel phone they should be talking shit about, its all about the details afterall. :)