Psu switch starting system without pressing the power on button

Maks91

Hi,

I have a Be Quiet Pure PowerL 8 PSU with 730 watts, if I turn my system off with the switch on the back of the psu, and then turn the switch back to "on" my system gets started by the psu without using the switch of the case.
Also when i press the case power on button while the psu switch is on "off "the system starts once I turn the psu switch back on.
The above doesn´t happen when I wait some time before turing the system on by the psu switch.
When i press the case power on button while the psu is off the power on led lights for some time despite of the psu being off.
I have already talked to Bequiet support on the phone they told me that it had something to do with a possible defect on the mainboard. However, I have 2 x the Pure Power L8 (both 730 watt), both of which were acquired at a distance of approximately 8 months from various retailers, and both have the same bahavior at all my motherboards : Crosshair IV my MSI Gaming GD 65 my old P5Q Pro Asus as well as at my SABERTOOTH 990FX / GEN3 R2.0 (I first noticed this on my Crosshair IV MB). (Ialso tryed a different Case)
With my Enermax PSU this never happend to any of the boards. This confuses me a little, I would be very surprised if all motherboards the same "failure" that would only occur with BeQuiet psu´s .
Is anyone else having this problem with this psu? What could be the reason, that different motherboards show the same behavior with the same psu model.
Can this damage my system?
Do you have any Ideas?smile.png
Many thanks in advance

It sounds like it is the power supply. There is a capacitor holding "juice" as they are designed to do. It is perhaps the nature of the design of the power supply circuit on that model PSU. It could possibly present it's self as a problem if you were constantly switching it on and off. If it concerns you that much then after you turn it off at the back of the case then go an engage the power button on the case to "bleed" off the residual power.  

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

The behavior of the system doesn´t concern me very much, I´m just  a little afraid that it could damage my components ^^.  Do think that it could harm my mainboard, cpu graphics card or ram?

:)

Not really. There are several psu manufactures out there that have this type of design incorporated in the design of their products. as I have seen it before in a lot of dell and hp products. The power eventually bleeds down. As you said 

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Not really. There are several psu manufactures out there that have this type of design incorporated in the design of their products. as I have seen it before in a lot of dell and hp products. The power eventually bleeds down. As you said: "The above doesn´t happen when I wait some time before turning the system on by the psu switch. There are a ton of capacitors built into every motherboard. Just don't go on and off in a quick fashion repeatedly. It will be fine..

Hi,

I have a Be Quiet Pure PowerL 8 PSU with 730 watts, if I turn my system off with the switch on the back of the psu, and then turn the switch back to "on" my system gets started by the psu without using the switch of the case.

This concerns me a little. Are you saying you shutdown your PC by turning off the PSU?

Or are you turning off the PSU after it has all been shutdown in the OS first?

I am "assuming" that he is shutting it down via the OS first and then turning it off at the PSU switch....... Only an idiot would just shut it down via the psu switch without turning it off via the OS and by the intelligent post I made the assumption.

This concerns me a little. Are you saying you shutdown your PC by turning off the PSU?

Or are you turning off the PSU after it has all been shutdown in the OS first?

I turn off the psu after I shutdown OS .

Sorry for my bad english by the way ^^ I am trying not to make much grammar / spelling mistakes ^^ and use the right words.

Sorry for my bad english by the way ^^ I am trying not to make much grammar / spelling mistakes ^^ and use the right words.

Nope not bad - I've just made assumptions about people being intelligent here before, and that didn't turn out well.

It's much simpler to just ask if not sure.

I just had the idea, shouldn´t the power loss setting in bios (set on power off on power loss) prevent the system from rebooting in the cases when I shut my system down by os and then shut off the psu switch.

I just re tryed the both psu´s out of coriosity with the crosshair iv and the msi  board in the following test scenarios:

1.  - both mainboards with power loss setting set by power off at power loss. 

- I shutdown windows

- I power off the psu switch afte windows shutdown

- I power the psu switch on again after 10 seconds

- system starts it self without pressing the case button like I expected

2.  - both mainboards with power loss setting set by power off at power loss.

- I simulate a "power loss " by pressing the psu switch (while running a live os so I cant damage my data)

- I power the psu switch on again after 10 seconds

- system starts it self without pressing the case button

3.  - both mainboards with power loss setting set by power off at power loss.

- I simulate a "power loss " by plugging the cable out  (while running a live os so I cant damage my data)

- then I plug the cable back in  after 10 seconds and the system starts running again (I left the psu switch on on since I pluged the cable)

In scenario 1 I understand the system start,  since shutting down the os first maybe technically not the same for the hardware like a power loss.

In scenario 2 and 3 I dont understand  the restart since It was technically a powerloss (that I created :) ) shouldnt the bioses in the boards prevent the board from restarting in this cases?

Also tryed the scenarios  out of coriosety with my Enermax psu as I expected It stayed off in all tests. 

(^^ im not that worried about this "phenomenon" at the moment Im just trying to understand ^^)