LG Watch Urbane 1st gen - My First Smartwatch Experience

LG Watch Urbane have been released for a very long time and last month I decided to get one. This is my first smartwatch I ever owned and used.

Since Linus never reviewed this watch, and I am not able to find any member review about this watch in LTT forum. here's my take on LG Watch Urbane 1st gen.

Link to full album of image of the watch (http://imgur.com/a/q2qPX)

Packaging and Accessory

j28xc2u.jpg

s6zlZHZ.jpg

The watch comes in a pretty mediocre packaging even though the price is quite premium. The box it comes in doesn't really show it's price tag. But the accesory it comes with is pretty good.

rRdrcny.jpg

Each accessory comes in the little brown box you see in the picture.

Hardware and Appereance

ZmISCln.jpg

The watch body is stainless steel, but the bottom is plastic with brushed look. The watch body is considerably relatively thick and big. it definetely not suitable for small hands.

The crown part of the watch is brushed stainless steel.

9tUCWrb.jpg

For me personally it looks good. It looks like a premium WATCH. Yes. The LG Watch Urbane looks like a watch, not like a gadget like peeble (to be fair, I like peeble too. but the price difference in where I live is pretty close with the urbane so I got urbane instead). Wherever I go, if people doesn't see my notification pop on the screen, or see me fiddling with the watch, they won't really notice that it is a smartwatch.

When people do notice, they went crazy, everyone wants to try it and everyone wants to see it in action.

90sRaMm.jpg

The watch uses standard 22mm strap with spring loaded pin. It's not that easy to change it, unlike moto360 you kinda need to use tools and risk scratching the watch when trying to change the strap, which is a small downside but I can live with it.

The strap it comes with is tough, it took me 2 weeks of daily use to make it more comfortable.

if you buy the gold color watch, you'll get different color strap which is brown if I am not wrong.

The screen is actually really good. It uses real glass not plastic. The text look crisp on reasonable range (obviously I won't put my watch near my face). Screen brightness on low is pretty good, but for outdoor even on full brightness it's not bright enough. Also talking about outdoor, this watch doesn't have ambient light sensor. Which is kinda annoying.

There are times where I can barely see my watch screen.

Battery Life

The battery (410mAH) in this watch is bigger than most smartwatch out there. it definetely last me at least a day if nothing goes wrong (More on that later). on standby  (screen off) it use little power which is pretty nice. on a normal day it left me with 50-60% battery life left at the end of the day (7 A.M. to 8 P.M.)

2r9Gxjy.jpg

To charge the watch, it uses propietary craddle, it doesn't have wireless charging like moto 360. The charger it comes with is not the best. The cable is pretty thin, it is also not very long (aroung 1 meter in length).

hY5cAUm.jpg

The connection between the cable and the craddle use the usuall micro USB and it is removeable which is pretty neat if the cable need to be replaced.

Software and Usability

This part is the biggest upset of this watch.

The software is as stable as rock trying to balance itself on another rock.

I have never went through 3 days without needing to restart my watch at least once.

The watch freezes and lags after a day and a half without restarting it.

There are also occasional "android wear stopped working" error. which is easily fixable by tapping ok. (this will restart the android wear not the watch)

Not all application works. for example amazon app for the watch doesn't work. when opening an application it took 2-4 second from tapping the app.

usually when trying to open an app it went like this: app selection -> watch face for 2-4 seconds -> application.

There are random battery drain. Which can last from 15 minutes to 3 hour (sometimes 4 hours) (this consumes from 10% to 40% of battery depending on the duration of the drain) . usually this happens when I sleep. The watch gets warm at these times.

This forces me to charge the watch at least every 1,5 days.

All of these are known problems on android wear 5.1.1, hopefully this will be fixed in android wear 6. as the android wear itself is maturing as the time goes by.

But when the software works, it works really well. it gives me notification which in turns saves me from getting my phone from my pocket, and wasting the phone battery by waking it up everytime a notification comes in.

Conclusion

This watch and android wear is in process of maturing. The biggest problem I had with this watch is the software. The android wear is not mature enough for me, there are battery drain, crashes, lags, frezees in this software and I experience it on daily basis.

As for the watch, it is maturing, but it is pretty good IMO. LG is releasing the second generation of urbane which have LTE which seems to be a pretty good one too, and there are also Moto 260 2nd gend, and Huawei watch which looks beautiful. I think there are better option than LG watch urbane 1st gen now.

Link to full album of image of the watch (http://imgur.com/a/q2qPX)

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

Nice review comrade. haven't read the entire thing yet, but reading and is a nice review

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Nice review comrade.

Thanks for the comment dude.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

Samsung Gear S2 all the way

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Good review, was informative. 

EDIT: Nice pics as well.

Good review, was informative. 

EDIT: Nice pics as well.

Thanks. The pics are taken with LG G4 automatic mode.

My take:

Ugly as sin and tasteless. Samsung Gear S2 is waay, waaaaaaay better, and this is an Apple fanboy telling you that.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

My take:

Ugly as sin and tasteless. Samsung Gear S2 is waay, waaaaaaay better, and this is an Apple fanboy telling you that.

imo the gear s2 looks like a toy, while it's not as nice looking as the huawei it looks more luxury than the s2 classic

CPU i5-4690k Motherboard asrock h97-ac RAM 2x4 Crucial Sport GPU Msi 4g gtx 970 Case Silverstone sg13b-q Storage western digital scorpio black 500gb PSU csm 450w Display(s) acerh27hl bmid Cooling intel stock cooler Yeah I know right Keyboard I'd rather not say Mouse logitech g602 Sound beyerdynamic dt990pro Operating System windows 8.1

From what I've seen out there, the Gear S2 has pretty mature software. It works on any newer Android phone with at least 1.5GB of RAM

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Hey man I want to do a huawei watch review, do you mind if I use your review as a reference point?

CPU i5-4690k Motherboard asrock h97-ac RAM 2x4 Crucial Sport GPU Msi 4g gtx 970 Case Silverstone sg13b-q Storage western digital scorpio black 500gb PSU csm 450w Display(s) acerh27hl bmid Cooling intel stock cooler Yeah I know right Keyboard I'd rather not say Mouse logitech g602 Sound beyerdynamic dt990pro Operating System windows 8.1

Hey man I want to do a huawei watch review, do you mind if I use your review as a reference point?

Sure thing. You can use it as reference.