So @LinusTech @nicklmg Is that all the server stuff done. Any more "crazy, this is not what it was designed for stuff?"

At 10:50 on the video you see Edzel editing a video with Austin Evens in it.

Edited by ozziestig

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

At 10:50 on the video you see Edzel editing a video with Austin Evens in it.

Scrapyard wars 3

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Nice video! Is there any way you guys could do a video (if you haven't already) on the security drives/mobo setup? I'm looking to set something up for my home. 

kind of upset the thumbnail isn't a nice rack pun.

euro truck 2 is fun!

This is such amateur hour. 

4 UPS's for a single rack is way way overkill. That's like half a UPS per server in that rack which is ridiculous. 

Lose a UPS and get a rack mounted KVM like a normal person or don't and just throw it above the file server they're only 1U and much much better than that wall mounted nonsense you've got now. 

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-KVM-Rack-Console-w-19in-LCD-in-1URM-Steel-Drawer/913496.aspx?pfm=srh

Main ||  i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz || Corsair H90 || Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 500GB || WD Green 4TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW || Fractal Core 3500 || Corsair CX 500M ||

Wiseplex || i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz || Corsair H50 || Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI || HyperX Fury 16GB || Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || WD Green 6TB || EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC || Fractal Node 605 || Corsair CSM 450 ||

Nice video! Is there any way you guys could do a video (if you haven't already) on the security drives/mobo setup? I'm looking to set something up for my home. 

:)

4 UPS's for a single rack is way way overkill. That's like half a UPS per server in that rack which is ridiculous. 

Lose a UPS and get a rack mounted KVM like a normal person or don't and just throw it above the file server they're only 1U and much much better than that wall mounted nonsense you've got now. 

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-KVM-Rack-Console-w-19in-LCD-in-1URM-Steel-Drawer/913496.aspx?pfm=srh

I have to agree.  When you're using that amount of UPS, then you have to consider one large UPS that's not rack-mounted and taking over the sockets in the server room when power goes.

Rack-mounted KVM is the way to go, instead of sticking it to the wall.  Looks horrible.

I don't think it look that bad with the kvm on the wall. Also a 1u pull-out drawer takes up space in the room when you are doing work there.

As there is redundant power-supplies in the servers make sure they are on separate UPS:s

Hey Linus.  What an awesome video and as an IT admin myself I was totally salivating over your rack and cable management.  That is a butt load of storage and the 10GbE will surely allow blazing fast file transfers.  Working for a children's television production company myself I am always looking to see what cool and new ways to improve my company's network needs.  I do have one particular question regarding your network.  What do you do about backup and disaster recovery?  In the event of a fire or flood (or whatever) which completely compromises the server room (building); how are you backing up all that precious data?  I have to deal with this questions and find it hard just being able to cover 7-8TB of data with a small budget.  I still use LTO4 tapes to backup large video files and store them offsite and even have copies of ProRes video files on external hard drives stored offsite.  Currently I use Box.com to try and store as much of the smaller data as I can on their servers in the cloud and transfer over VPN to our London office.  I can't imagine how you're handling all your data and thought it would be cool if you showed a video about backing up all your data.  

Anyhow, tl;dr.  Great video!! 

I'ts nice to see that there is still some progress done in the server room. Each time it looks much more tidy and clean.

Me, working as electronics engineer and also dealing with 19 inch cabinets have few suggestions for further upgrades.

- Use rails for devices as much as possible. Nothing is more annoying than holding devices with one hand while unscrewing them with the other hand. Especially if there are very wide devices inside.

- To improve cooling of the rack the German company Rittal offers very good soultions for climatisation and monitoring for cabinets. You can combine one cabinet with one liquid cooling package. The heat exchanger in the LCP uses cool water (20°C) and can transfer that now warm water somewhere outside the room or building. If needed you can also combine it with a chiller to further improve the cooling capacity. Outside the building it's then possible to dissipate the heat and cool down. Done correctly it will definately work better than the whole room water cooling project in the former office of the Linus Media Group.

- To save additional height units inside the rack many not so wide and less important to access devices like switches, patchpanels can be placed on the opposite side combined with other rather small units. This makes cable feeds not so much necessary anymore.

- For mains power distribution it's also advised to put a junction box inside the cabinet and connect extra socket bars for the devices inside the cabinet. The junction box itself is hardwired directly to the mains distribution in the building. This reduces the hazard of tripping over one wire in the wall mounted sockets. For UPS buffered lines it's also nice to have special marked sockets.

I'm not sure about the electical situation in Canada. Do you also have three phase alternating current there like we have here in Germany? In Germany we use for standard industrial and household appliances 400V AC RMS (three phase) at 50Hz. Standard single phase devices use 230V RMS at 50Hz. With one single phase fused with 16A you can use up to 3.65kVA of power.  

I'm not sure about the electical situation in Canada. Do you also have three phase alternating current there like we have here in Germany? In Germany we use for standard industrial and household appliances 400V AC RMS (three phase) at 50Hz. Standard single phase devices use 230V RMS at 50Hz. With one single phase fused with 16A you can use up to 3.65kVA of power.  

Its 240v for appliances and 110v for standard devices. And I think its 15a.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Interesting video, but some suggestions on how to further improve your server room... or random tips...

1. A rack console IP KVM, clean, sleek, and a bit more convenient than a wall mounted solution because it puts you in front of the rack. 
  2. Network connect all the things. We're using network connected battery backups from Eaton at work, from the 5PX line with 4 additional EBM (Extended battery module), for a total runtime of about 100 minutes with about 2.7kW of load. It also emails whenever surges, or drops in voltage happen - easily the best UPS I've ever used, though the web interface is lacking a bit.
  3. Studs... 16" apart in most construction, sometimes 24". The best way to find these on a drywalled wall? A hard drive magnet, seriously. Take a hard drive magnet and gently scan the wall with it, once it grabs a screw head, you know there's likely a stud behind there. You now know where every stud is in the building. It looks like, in LMG's case, the contractors may have viewed the room as a utility room and installed plywood in it as a result - pretty common practice.

All in all, interesting video, entertaining as always. As a network admin, I often cringe when you tackle network stuff, but the progression for most business moves from "the server is a random computer in the corner, oh and whatever switch is cheap", to "we need a better firewall for security, oh and I guess we should start racking our white box servers", to "we should probably look at redundancy and building a DR site, oh and we're tired of calling Asus to RMA a motherboard, WD to RMA a hard drive, etc, so let's buy a box from one vendor with warranty for all the parts", to "We demand a 99.997% SLA". The hardware seems to progress like that. 

Pretty awesome! I have no need for anything like that but would still enjoy having it just to say I did lol. Looking forward to more videos on this topic!

And to think that he put all those UPS on the server instead of the individual machines (that I know of) means that if they power goes out they're not going to be able to save on the machines.  

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7