2x digital over-the-air tv broadcast antenna

Kc7vwc

So my Dad gave me his old over-the-air digital TV coverter box, and a couple indoor antennas for it. But the signal quality is kinda shoddy. I'm completely missing the local NBC station (I can see their broadcast antenna direct line of sight about 20miles away) and ABC comes in hit or miss. But Dad could pick up all of them at his place with this exact equipment just fine, and he's only about 2 miles from me and at a lower elevation.

So I'm curious, since I have two antenna, both the exact same make/model, could I get a Y unit & use both antenna (each facing 90-degrees from the other) to get a better signal?

I don't have the splitter or extra coax yet so wondering if anyone more knowledgeable about RF signals could advise if this would work or cause interference? 

• 2 weeks later...

So my Dad gave me his old over-the-air digital TV coverter box, and a couple indoor antennas for it. But the signal quality is kinda shoddy. I'm completely missing the local NBC station (I can see their broadcast antenna direct line of sight about 20miles away) and ABC comes in hit or miss. But Dad could pick up all of them at his place with this exact equipment just fine, and he's only about 2 miles from me and at a lower elevation.

So I'm curious, since I have two antenna, both the exact same make/model, could I get a Y unit & use both antenna (each facing 90-degrees from the other) to get a better signal?

I don't have the splitter or extra coax yet so wondering if anyone more knowledgeable about RF signals could advise if this would work or cause interference? 

It wont cause interference, bit it also will likely not work much better. Whatever is preventing one from working, will likely prevent the other as well. 

As it looks like you have your Amateur radio licence, you will know that most of TV broadcast is line of sight. So, even minute placement changes on your end may be a better solution. 

Also, many homebrew antennas end up working better than commercially made ones, surprisingly enough. 

DE KE7DUX

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200