i3 4170 very hot on stock cooler

astranger200

my i3 is hitting 76c on the stock cooler and the max temp is 72.

yes it is hot in here but what is going on.

yes it is on properly and making good contact.

the fan is on 100 percent and the case is very well ventilated (5 case fans)

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

That isn't to hot. (It isn't ideal, AFAIK the max temps before thermal throttling is the 90's)

If you are worried, replace the thermal compound and reseat the cooler

That isn't to hot.

If you are worried, replace the thermal compound and reseat the cooler

the tcase max is 72 on the intel website...

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

Is that under load? That's not too bad

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Is that under load? That's not too bad

the tcase max is 72. is that different to the core temps? if so how can I measure tcase?

Surely the 2C isnt going to kill you...

If youre really that concerned then apply new paste and if you dont mind me asking, what is the ambient temp of the room this PC is in?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

yes... full load (100 percent)

Your computer is fine.

As I said before, if you are worried, reseat the cooler and replace the thermal compound.

Your computer is fine.

As I said before, if you are worried, reseat the cooler and replace the thermal compound.

but isn't the max temp 72? shouldn't it be throttling/shutting down?

Surely the 2C isnt going to kill you...

If youre really that concerned then apply new paste and if you dont mind me asking, what is the ambient temp of the room this PC is in?

the ambient temp is about 32c

the ambient temp is about 32c

Thats pretty damn warm. Im not surprised that your chip is getting as hot as it is. My room is usually like 24C.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

the tcase max is 72. is that different to the core temps? if so how can I measure tcase?

I wouldn't worry about it. My i7-3770 runs at 75-ish playing GTA V on a slightly modified stock cooler

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

It's fine. Tcase is the IHS or circuit board. Software reports core temperatures, not case temperatures. Core temperatures will always be higher than the CPU casing temperature.

You are fine.

It is not ideal, but it isn't bad.

They can run well above that and still be fine. Anything below 85C at full load is reasonable. About a year ago I once had mine at 95C on a prime95 stress test for about 30mins+ (intel xtu for life these days).

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

They can run well above that and still be fine. Anything below 85C at full load is reasonable. About a year ago I once had mine at 95C on a prime95 stress test for about 30mins+ (intel xtu for life these days).

You are fine.

It is not ideal, but it isn't bad.

thanks for the help

Tcase is for the IHS and not the core. The core is generally fine up to 90c.

If you really wanted to, putting a probe onto the IHS would be one way to measure it.

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

my i3 is hitting 76c on the stock cooler and the max temp is 72.

yes it is hot in here but what is going on.

yes it is on properly and making good contact.

the fan is on 100 percent and the case is very well ventilated (5 case fans)

Case fans only move air and give fresh air, stock coolers are just garbage, those temps are normal

CPU: Intel i7 8700k || Motherboard: Asus Z370-E ROG || RAMCorsair 4266 2x8gb || GPU: Sapphire r9 280x tri-x || Case: Corsair 780t || 

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, 1TB Segate Barracuda HDD || PSUSeasonic M12II Evo 850w || Display: AOC i2367FH 1920x1080p 23 Inch ||

CPU Cooler: Corsair h80 || KeyboardCorsair Strafe || MouseCorsair Scimitar || HeadsetHyper X Cloud II || OS: Windows 10 ||

yes... full load (100 percent)

By that do you mean Prime95 load or Intel Burn Test or something along those lines? Because that's a pretty good temperature for that kind of CPU load on a stock cooler.

By that do you mean Prime95 load or Intel Burn Test or something along those lines? Because that's a pretty good temperature for that kind of CPU load on a stock cooler.

But why would someone run P95 on an i3??

But why would someone run P95 on an i3??

Prime95 is the first thing I run when I get a new CPU to make sure I didn't get a dud that has to throttle.

Prime95 is the first thing I run when I get a new CPU to make sure I didn't get a dud that has to throttle.

An i3 will throttle? You must be kidding. That thing only has two cores and not overclockable.

An i3 will throttle? You must be kidding. That thing only has two cores and not overclockable.

I just meant to check that you didn't get sent a piece of crap that slipped through quality control.