What is PLL Frequency?

So I wanted to do a BCLK OC on my i3, just bumping it up by like 5-10MHz to give it a nice boost (I want 4GHz on the i3, if that's even possible). In my BIOS, on my B85M-ITX from AsRock, I have no BCLK/PCI-E frequency setting like in this snapshot:

post-2597-0-85761000-1444006506_thumb.pn

What I do have though is the filter PLL frequency, and if I do recall (as I'm not in the BIOS right now) it mentions something about higher BCLK. What is it, and can anyone show me how to access the BCLK frequency and change it? I would like to OC my RAM as well, so this is a good way to do it. Any help?

Is there an older BIOS I can flash that gives me access to the BCLK frequency? I can't find it for the life of me in my BIOS.

afaik, i3 cpus can't be overclocked, and even if you could, the performance gain wouldn't be alot

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

afaik, i3 cpus can't be overclocked, and even if you could, the performance gain wouldn't be alot

I posted this a long time back, I got the exact same repsonses. You can OC and i3. You just cant do it through the multiplier. I asked what PLL frequency was, not whether or not you think I should or should not OC the hardware that I paid for. I just want a 100MHz boost, and that can easily be done through the BCLK.

You can but its not as simple as multiplier overclocking. Instead of changing the multiplier, you are changing the blck frequency.

I posted this a long time back, I got the exact same repsonses. You can OC and i3. You just cant do it through the multiplier. I asked what PLL frequency was, not whether or not you think I should or should not OC the hardware that I paid for. I just want a 100MHz boost, and that can easily be done through the BCLK.

Some motherboards simply dont allow for any sort of overclocking hence why you cannot find the way to do it. The reason for this is probably because they dont want some dude, with no knowledge of what he's doing, trying to overclock his cpu and ends of killing the motherboard which can result in a rma

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

I searched for that for my Xeon aswell. I just think lower end boards (not Z97/87) don't support BClock overclocking.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

So I wanted to do a BCLK OC on my i3, just bumping it up by like 5-10MHz to give it a nice boost (I want 4GHz on the i3, if that's even possible). In my BIOS, on my B85M-ITX from AsRock, I have no BCLK/PCI-E frequency setting like in this snapshot:

attachicon.gifASRock mITX BIOS 04 - OCT 1.png

What I do have though is the filter PLL frequency, and if I do recall (as I'm not in the BIOS right now) it mentions something about higher BCLK. What is it, and can anyone show me how to access the BCLK frequency and change it? I would like to OC my RAM as well, so this is a good way to do it. Any help?

I don't imagine a B85 having BCLK option. you should email AsRock tech support - they will tell you what BIOS supports it (if any) 

I managed to get 103mhz bclk perfectly stable on my z87/4690 system - an extra 105mhz

p.s: I think filter PLL has to do with stabilising the system at different bclks - I haven't heard of this making any difference ever.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I searched for that for my Xeon aswell. I just think lower end boards (not Z97/87) don't support BClock overclocking.

That sucks. I will contact AsRock and ask like the the buy above me suggested.

cant oc on a b85 board. sorry.  i have the same problem

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

cant oc on a b85 board. sorry.  i have the same problem

Really? Man, this sucks so much. I might even upgrade to Skylake because of this, I was going to get a 1231v3 Xeon, but I kind of want to OC now, and there's no point in sticking with Haswell if I'm going to upgrade the board too.

Really? Man, this sucks so much. I might even upgrade to Skylake because of this, I was going to get a 1231v3 Xeon, but I kind of want to OC now, and there's no point in sticking with Haswell if I'm going to upgrade the board too.

just get a z series board and you'll be fine.   the only reason i kept my b85 was because i was on a strict budget ($300).  i was actually kinda pissed when i found out i couldnt oc the g3258 cuz of it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

just get a z series board and you'll be fine.   the only reason i kept my b85 was because i was on a strict budget ($300).  i was actually kinda pissed when i found out i couldnt oc the g3258 cuz of it.

Well someone recommended that I get a B85M-ITX instead of an H81M-ITX like I was originally planning to do, so it's that that makes me pissed. I'll pick up a Z97 board and a 4790K I guess, no use in switching out my 16GB of DDR3 for DDR4 (on Skylake). Really pisses me off that I can't even change the BCLK, makes it feel locked down like I have an Apple product (grr). Anyway, is there any Z97 ITX board you would recommend? I would like something with an M.2 slot so I can put in an SSD, leaves more room in my case.

PLL is usually Phase Locked Loop?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

PLL is usually Phase Locked Loop?

Oh, well thanks, but we're past that already. Looks like I'm getting a Z97 board, just don't know which one. Has to have M.2 for an SSD and mini ITX, and preferably not bright red or flashy, just something black or very mute.