Windows 10 Start Menu not Reckoning Programs in D:/ Drive.

Go to solution Solved by aarontbarratt,

The only workaround I have found is creating a shortcut file and placing them in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. Strange how the search function only looks in the C:/ Drive 

Firstly, I have two drives currently installed, one 128GB SSD and another 1TB HDD, when searching in the windows 10 start menu only finds programs installed on the C:/ drive. 

I am using my C:/ drive for my OS and and most used programs, while the rest is staying on the D:/ drive.

Is their anyway that I can get the start menu to searching my D:/ drive for programs, it is becoming tedious to look through my HDD every time I want to open a program or game. 

I have had a look around for some thread about it and general google search, but I can't find any information :(

Thank you for any responses :)

Aaron Barratt

I managed to do this somehow. I'll let you know once I figure it out.

Thanks for the quick response :)

http://prntscr.com/8ntivo

Could that be it?

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Unfortunately not :(

Darn... Now that I think of it, I too might be having that issue, as the search does not register any of my games on the external HDD

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Darn... Now that I think of it, I too might be having that issue, as the search does not register any of my games on the external HDD

I'm having that issue right now too.

But I do have games from my other Hard Drive on my start menu, and I'm trying to figure out how they got there lol

Firstly, I have two drives currently installed, one 128GB SSD and another 1TB HDD, when searching in the windows 10 start menu only finds programs installed on the C:/ drive. 

I am using my C:/ drive for my OS and and most used programs, while the rest is staying on the D:/ drive.

Is their anyway that I can get the start menu to searching my D:/ drive for programs, it is becoming tedious to look through my HDD every time I want to open a program or game. 

I have had a look around for some thread about it and general google search, but I can't find any information :(

Thank you for any responses :)

Aaron Barratt

I figured out to get an item on a task bar, run the app and then right click it on the task bar and click "Pin to task bar"

Now to figure out start menu...

I figured out to get an item on a task bar, run the app and then right click it on the task bar and click "Pin to task bar"

Now to figure out start menu...

Yeah, I can get individual things to pin to the menu itself, but the search feature doesn't bring up anything stored outside of the C:/ Drive it seems! :( pretty annoying for SSD users. 

Yeah, most people don't notice it. I told my house mate that windows 10 acts this way and now he is getting OCD about trying to sort it out! 

Yeah, most people don't notice it. I told my house mate that windows 10 acts this way and now he is getting OCD about trying to sort it out! 

I contacted Microsoft tech support. They said it was a part of windows and I can't do anything about it.

BUT THEN HOW DID I GET MY APPS FROM MY D: DRIVE ONTO MY START MENU BEFORE, HUH? 

I am confused. I have a dual partition setup, where all my programs (at 98-99%) are in D:\, and the rest C:\

And my start menu has 0 problem.

When you install a program, you set the path of where to install. I set it to D:\<program name>, that simple. The setup creates a shortcut of the program in the Start menu folder, which make the game/program appear there.

Are you doing what I am doing? Or you are doing something else?

I contacted Microsoft tech support. They said it was a part of windows and I can't do anything about it.

BUT THEN HOW DID I GET MY APPS FROM MY D: DRIVE ONTO MY START MENU BEFORE, HUH? 

Why would they do this! Who actually stores all of their programs on an SSD O.o 

I am confused. I have a dual partition setup, where all my programs (at 98-99%) are in D:\, and the rest C:\

And my start menu has 0 problem.

When you install a program, you set the path of where to install. I set it to D:\<program name>, that simple. The setup creates a shortcut of the program in the Start menu folder, which make the game/program appear there.

Are you doing what I am doing? Or you are doing something else?

Okay, for example. You can see on the HDD in the finder window, I have MSI Afterburner installed, and on the left I am searching for MSI Afterburner and it doesn't show up. This applies to everything install on the drive.

http://imgur.com/rHlpvUh

-

Reset your search index, that is the issue, try indexing options first, then we may have to resort to fixing it via Powershell.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Reset your search index, that is the issue, try indexing options first, then we may have to resort to fixing it via Powershell.

Currently running a index rebuild. Will post results when it's finished.

Why would they do this! Who actually stores all of their programs on an SSD O.o

Because programs starts faster?

Okay, for example. You can see on the HDD in the finder window, I have MSI Afterburner installed, and on the left I am searching for MSI Afterburner and it doesn't show up. This applies to everything install on the drive.

http://imgur.com/rHlpvUh

Is the program in the start menu itself? How did you install MSI afterburner exactly. Step by step, please.

Because programs starts faster?

Is the program in the start menu itself? How did you install MSI afterburner exactly. Step by step, please.

Well they start faster, but it is a small storage solution, designed for my most used programs and OS. Can't exactly fit my entire steam library on it as well as music, movies etc. 

The programs do not show in the start menu. I have to use the file explorer and find the .exe's manual to open anything. 

I installed by using the standard installer using the recommended setting and directed it to install in the D:/ drive.

Indexing has finished overnight, to no prevail though. Still can't search for programs using the start menu that are stored on the D:/ drive

The only workaround I have found is creating a shortcut file and placing them in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. Strange how the search function only looks in the C:/ Drive 

Yes... that is how your setup are doing it.

I think what you are doing is that you are installing your programs in C:\, then cut and past them in D:\, so the shortcuts are invalid, and hence don't show on the Start Menu. Or you check the box in the setup to not create a start menu shortcut.

Are you sure you're indexing your D drive?

I have 3 drives (on W7) C, G, R. Each one has been added to the Index manually.

Have you done that?

Click start, type index, open up indexing options, modify, find your drives, click ok, click advanced, rebuild index.

It's not a race to the bottom.

You don't need to index the D drive. You need to index the Start Menu folder. You have 2 of them. One for all users, and one for local users.

Both needs to be indexed.