Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Vozella

First of all: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alinustechtips.com+Reboot+and+Select+proper+Boot+device+or+Insert+Boot+Media+in+selected+Boot+device+and+press+a+key

I DID look it up and I still couldn't fix it.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard by the way.

I have one SSD in the system.

Edit: http://imgur.com/a/u0a38

Edited by Vozella

I had this issue when I installed a new drive a few weeks ago. This is how I fixed it:

Assuming you have Windows 8/10, go to Microsoft's site and create a boot ISO for whichever windows you have. Then, put it in your system. Next, boot to it. When the Install Windows page appears, click Repair your computer to access system recovery options. There should be an option in there to fix boot issues or something similar. I selected that, and within 30 seconds the problem was fixed and my PC booted into Windows.

Let me know if you have any questions

edit: Startup Repair is the option you'll want to press

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I had this issue when I installed a new drive a few weeks ago. This is how I fixed it:

Assuming you have Windows 8/10, go to Microsoft's site and create a boot ISO for whichever windows you have. Then, put it in your system. Next, boot to it. When the Install Windows page appears, click Repair your computer to access system recovery options. There should be an option in there to fix boot issues or something similar. I selected that, and within 30 seconds the problem was fixed and my PC booted into Windows.

Let me know if you have any questions

edit: Startup Repair is the option you'll want to press

Is it called MediaCreationToolx64.exe? I'm doing Windows 10.

Go into the bios and check if the ssd is recognised there. if it is, make sure that it is the first boot option.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Go into the bios and check if the ssd is recognised there. if it is, make sure that it is the first boot option.

That didn't do anything. 

Edited by Vozella

That didn't do anything. 

Did the ssd show up in the bios?

Do you have an external enclosure you can plug the ssd into, and see if it boots that way?

If you haven't done so already, try swapping the sata cable/ connecting it into another connector, and double check that the sata power cable is inserted properly.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Did the ssd show up in the bios?

Do you have an external enclosure you can plug the ssd into, and see if it boots that way?

If you haven't done so already, try swapping the sata cable/ connecting it into another connector, and double check that the sata power cable is inserted properly.

The SSD DOES show up in the BIOS. So does the Thumbdrive. It doesn't matter which one I put first.

Is it called MediaCreationToolx64.exe? I'm doing Windows 10.

Yup!

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Have you changed the sata settings from IDE to ahci?  Usually only the first several sata ports will switch to ahci, and the rest will still be IDE.  So you have to make sure you connect the ssd to the ahci ports and not the IDE ones, or it will not boot.

Worth a shot if you didn't change it.

Have you changed the sata settings from IDE to ahci?  Usually only the first several sata ports will switch to ahci, and the rest will still be IDE.  So you have to make sure you connect the ssd to the ahci ports and not the IDE ones, or it will not boot.

Worth a shot if you didn't change it.

How do I find out which ports are IDE or AHCI? I can't find this in my motherboard's manual. I've never heard of this before. 

How do I find out which ports are IDE or AHCI? I can't find this in my motherboard's manual. I've never heard of this before. 

in the bios just make sure the sata modes are all ahci

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

It's usually the first two, at least, that are ahci.  I'm not sure exactly how the setting works on all motherboards but I know both that I have used ssd's with only the first few ports were ahci because I had to use IDE for my older cd drives and HDD's. So there is an option that says run ports x-y native legacy IDE.  I think it will default to that setting also.

If techguru is correct and you can set all of the ports to ahci, then try that.

Usually the motherboard will be defaulted to IDE. If you go to the SATA options in your BIOS you will see the options for ahci or IDE.  I'm not sure how to navigate there but you should have it.

Especially if you were booting with an HDD before, I would bet this is your problem.  If you didn't change the settings it is still set to IDE.

Usually the motherboard will be defaulted to IDE. If you go to the SATA options in your BIOS you will see the options for ahci or IDE.  I'm not sure how to navigate there but you should have it.

Especially if you were booting with an HDD before, I would bet this is your problem.  If you didn't change the settings it is still set to IDE.

I can't find any settings in the Gigabyte Bios that mentions AHCI. I put a link to some pictures in the original post.

Go to peripherals, go to the second option for sata mode and select ahci.

Try that first.  The UEFI stuff I didn't think about, it can have an effect depending on whether your operating system was installed with the bios set to UEFI or not.

But try setting sata mode to ahci first.

Go to peripherals, go to the second option for sata mode and select ahci.

Try that first.  The UEFI stuff I didn't think about, it can have an effect depending on whether your operating system was installed with the bios set to UEFI or not.

But try setting sata mode to ahci first.

http://imgur.com/a/2809m

It was already set to AHCI. What can I try next?

It's worth trying switching the UEFI settings.  Try it on legacy only, and try it on UEFI only.

At this point I'm getting past my ability to help you without doing some research. Maybe someone else helpful will come along!