How do I know if my motherboard supports ecc ram?

Hello,

I tried to google it, but the only answer that I found was plug it and see if it works, but I don't want to buy ecc ram if my motherboard doesn't support it.

If you are wondering why I need ecc ram, its because I want to re-purpose my old desktop into a nas unit using freenas. From what I read the minimum specs for zfs are 8gb of ecc ram. 

I tried google my motherboard, but its an OEM and I couldn't find anything on it. 

What board and CPU do you have? Both need to support it for ECC to work. 

EDIT: Also, it's generally not something that consumer boards support, unless they're very high end. Most boards that support ECC will say so. 

ECC RAM is generally not supported by most MOBOs anyway.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

The cpu is a i5 650. The board h57h-am2.

The CPU does not support it. Don't know about the Mobo but probably not either. Xeons and a few Atom chips support it. Also, may i ask why you would need ECC memory?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

The CPU does not support it. Don't know about the Mobo but probably not either. Xeons and a few Atom chips support it. Also, may i ask why you would need ECC memory?

Well from what I read, online everybody says that for freenas zfs, the minimum requirements are 8g of ecc ram. Therefore, since I m trying to build a nas using that os, I need ecc ram. Do you think that it can work with normal ram without any issues? I am more than willing to save some money and not buy new ram, but I want to avoid data corruption. 

From the looks of it I ll need to buy more than just ram. 

Thank you very much.

Well from what I read, online everybody says that for freenas zfs, the minimum requirements are 8g of ecc ram. Therefore, since I m trying to build a nas using that os, I need ecc ram. Do you think that it can work with normal ram without any issues? I am more than willing to save some money and not buy new ram, but I want to avoid data corruption. 

From the looks of it I ll need to buy more than just ram. 

I do not have a lot of experience with freenas, maybe this could help:

http://blog.brianmoses.net/2014/03/why-i-chose-non-ecc-ram-for-my-freenas.html

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG