Question GB/S!

Cucumber

hi folks

can I connect WD hard drive 6 gb/s on 3 gb/s sata on motherboard?

Yes. All SATA generations are compatible with each other. Same goes with PCIe. PCIe 3.0 cards will work in PCIe 2.0 and 1.1 slots, and vice versa.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

hi folks

Yes.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Yeah, but the hard drive would obviously perform at the 3gb/s the SATA port has.

Any reasons you are not connecting it to a 'faster' port? No room for it? No faster ports?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah, but the hard drive would obviously perform at the 3gb/s the SATA port has.

Any reasons you are not connecting it to a 'faster' port? No room for it? No faster ports?

It doesn't even matter really. Hard drives will not saturate a SATAII port, and some will barely saturate a SATAI port.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My brother wants to buy a new hard drive, but he has 3gb/s on motherboard, so... I dont have problems with that on my pc

It isn't relevant. Sata ii (sata3) caps out at around 400MB/s which is way above what hdds can drive.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

hi folks

Hey there Cucumber,

Current HDDs can't really saturate SATA3's (6Gb/s) or even SATA2's (3Gb/s) limitation of 750MB/s and 375MB/s respectively. It shouldn't really matter to which port you'd connect the drive in terms of speed or performance. :) I'd check the drive's spec sheet and see how fast the drive itself works. Some won't even utilize the full potential even of SATA1 (1Gb/s) which is 187.5MB/s. :)
What's the drive that you have?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Cucumber,

Current HDDs can't really saturate SATA3's (6Gb/s) or even SATA2's (3Gb/s) limitation of 750MB/s and 375MB/s respectively. It shouldn't really matter to which port you'd connect the drive in terms of speed or performance. :) I'd check the drive's spec sheet and see how fast the drive itself works. Some won't even utilize the full potential even of SATA1 (1Gb/s) which is 187.5MB/s. :)

Captain_WD.

I dont have problem with that, but my brother has. He buy Western Digital WD10EZEX 1.0TB 7200 rpm, and he have motherboard Asus FM1 A55-m le. why?

I dont have problem with that, but my brother has. He buy Western Digital WD10EZEX 1.0TB 7200 rpm, and he have motherboard Asus FM1 A55-m le. why?

The drive that your brother has, WD Blue, caps its speed up to around 150MB/s which is well below the SATA2's (3Gb/s) speed limit of 375MB/s and should work at its full potential. :) Here's more info on WD Blue: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=JS7V5y

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Hey there Cucumber,

Captain_WD.

So this is a little bit irrelevant to the actual discussion but it is an issue we need to bring up more. SATA3 in the market place is SATA II (3Gb/s), while SATA III is labeled almost exclusively as SATA6 (6gb/s). It is quite obvious which standard SATA6 and SATA II refer to, but due to the speed/generation labeling, it is important to keep SATA3 and SATA III labeled in different manners.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

~snip~

This is exactly why I always list the transfer speed limitations next to the generation number both in Gb/s and in MB/s. :) 
There are many places where SATA I is referred to as SATA1 and so on, so I try to keep it as clear and visible as possible. If it's better to use SATA I instead of SATA1 I will start labeling them like that. :)

Captain_WD.

This is exactly why I always list the transfer speed limitations next to the generation number both in Gb/s and in MB/s. :)
There are many places where SATA I is referred to as SATA1 and so on, so I try to keep it as clear and visible as possible. If it's better to use SATA I instead of SATA1 I will start labeling them like that. :)

Captain_WD.

Indeed, it was not a critique on you, but rather a comment on the issue itself. SATA I would probably make more sense in the keeping things constant perspective, although for first gen it's not really a big deal anymore. The only issue again is SATA3 vs SATA III.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Indeed, it was not a critique on you, but rather a comment on the issue itself. SATA I would probably make more sense in the keeping things constant perspective, although for first gen it's not really a big deal anymore. The only issue again is SATA3 vs SATA III.

Yes, I was simply giving an example with the first gen. It does make more sense using SATAIII rather than SATA3, thank you for the comment, will take a note. :)

Captain_WD.