Does it make sense to mate a new build with no GPU? (For now)

Go to solution Solved by goldhound44,

Thank you everyone for your feedback!  I will definitely get myself a brand new 4690k! Cheers!

Hey guys, I am currently putting together a new PC, and would like some feedback. 

Does it make any sense to build a new PC and not include a GPU?  I'm pretty set on a 4690k for this build, but it doesn't make sense for me to get that right now if I also have to budget for a GPU. 

So expanding on my main question, is it completely idiotic to run on the i5's integrated graphics (4600) for a month or two and then get a GPU later? (Considering the 380X when it comes out).   I am currently running a "craptop" with an i3-3110M and it's integrated graphics (2000 i think?) so I feel like even the jump up to the integrated on the i5 would be enough for a little while until I can budget in a real GPU.

Any feedback is appreciated,

thanks,

GH4

i5-4690k @ 3.5ghz - Gigabyte R9390 - MSI Z97S SLI Krait - 2x4GB S.Skill RAM @ 2400 NZXT S340 - EVGA 850W B2 -  Silicon Power S60 240GB SSD (boot + main programs) - Segate 1TB (Mass storage)

Is that how you signature?

It is not. Play CSGO and LoL and you are fine.

Flash/HTML5/FFMpeg playback is fine with that GPU, as is advanced UI elements like OpenGL Compiz, or Plasma and GNOME animations.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

You can totally still game on integrated graphics. Most prebuilts are built on integrated graphics for something like a GTX 610, which isn't any better than integrated in the first place.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

It is not. Play CSGO and LoL and you are fine.

Flash/HTML5/FFMpeg playback is fine with that GPU, as is advanced UI elements like OpenGL Compiz, or Plasma and GNOME animations.

I agree. Most lightweight gaming will run fine.

Just buy it and wait a bit for the GPU. Or wait for some holiday discount or something, since you mentioned 2 months, that's almost New Years. :D

I remember I played skyrim at like 13 fps on my laptop before I built my PC.

Then I built my PC with no GPU....when the GPU went on sale I bought it, MSI GTX 770.

GPU prices dropped and I sold my 770 and upgraded to the 780 for about $100 out of pocket. I have been happy ever since.

So yeah...perfectly acceptable. As a matter of fact, I would encourage it. Wait until next month when there should be a lot of sales and you could be able to pick up a GPU for a very attractive price.

Best of luck to you man, and I like your build.  :)

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Hey guys, I am currently putting together a new PC, and would like some feedback. 

Does it make any sense to build a new PC and not include a GPU?  I'm pretty set on a 4690k for this build, but it doesn't make sense for me to get that right now if I also have to budget for a GPU. 

So expanding on my main question, is it completely idiotic to run on the i5's integrated graphics (4600) for a month or two and then get a GPU later? (Considering the 380X when it comes out).   I am currently running a "craptop" with an i3-3110M and it's integrated graphics (2000 i think?) so I feel like even the jump up to the integrated on the i5 would be enough for a little while until I can budget in a real GPU.

Any feedback is appreciated,

thanks,

GH4

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

Thank you everyone for your feedback!  I will definitely get myself a brand new 4690k! Cheers!

i5-4690k @ 3.5ghz - Gigabyte R9390 - MSI Z97S SLI Krait - 2x4GB S.Skill RAM @ 2400 NZXT S340 - EVGA 850W B2 -  Silicon Power S60 240GB SSD (boot + main programs) - Segate 1TB (Mass storage)

Is that how you signature?

I concur with the rest. That's actually one of the best things about modern CPUs having on-chip graphics. The fact that you can get a system up and running without having to have a discreet graphics card allows you to do a higher end build gradually.