Microsoft applies for patent on multi-OS smartphone

CaptainGazzz

Microsoft has been working with some OEMs to release Windows Phone ROMs for their Android handsets, and there have been some rumours that some OEMs would release handsets which offer an option of launching with either Windows Phone or Android.

Now Microsoft has applied for a patent which makes their ideas explicit.

Windows and Android on one phone? I can't see why anyone would want to use Windows Phone instead of Android, but still the option is nice. What is exiting though, is the option to run both at the same time.

Source: http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-applies-for-patent-on-multi-os-smartphone/

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

How is this an idea you can patent? Does this mean that Ubuntu and Mozilla won't be able to offer their phone OSes as dual boot options?

Uuuuh... On laptops/tablets sure, but smartphone? No thanks.

If I were making the leap for a different phone OS, I would absolutely want to trial it first.

Maybe they've got a way to tightly integrate Windows phone OS continuity type features on Android? 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I feel like this would make installing custom ROMs hell

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

How can you patent such a basic concept? It's not even limited to smartphones in the patent. It's not a new idea at all, OEMs have tried to make dual-booting devices with Windows and Android, but Microsoft and Google stopped them, maybe they won't stop them if they pay a nice license fee.

Also, the patent text mentions that tech-savvy users have been able to set up dual-booting systems for a while. How does preinstalling something that already exists make it a new, patentable concept?

I really hope they are not granted this patent, but the US patent system is fucked up, so I don't have high hopes.

so what are they patenting if its the bootloader then i would understand but if they are patenting the idea then wtf microsoft

Ya, I kinda want this clarified. Cause I see future jimmies of all kinds being rustled. Not a pretty sight.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

So the fuck are they patenting? A smartphone is in essence a PC, just sometimes a different architecture, and on a PC dual booting as been a thing for ages.

Unless they have something special patented, bootloader or OS switching or something, I think this is bullshit.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

So the fuck are they patenting? A smartphone is in essence a PC, just sometimes a different architecture, and on a PC dual booting as been a thing for ages.

Unless they have something special patented, bootloader or OS switching or something, I think this is bullshit.

So you think that that they are only patenting it for smartphones? Of course, they are making the patent as broad as possible.

[0023] From one perspective device 1002 can be thought of as a computer. Examples of computers or devices can include traditional computing devices, such as personal computers, desktop computers, notebook computers, cell phones, smart phones, personal digital assistants, pad type computers, digital whiteboards, cameras, wearable devices, such as smart glasses, or any of a myriad of ever-evolving or yet to be developed types of computing devices.

Now if MS and Google were working together for fast, stable mobile OS there would not have been needed dual booting and IOS :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Ya, I kinda what this clearified. Cause I see future jimmies of all kinds being rustled. Not a pretty sight.

*clarified

Yes, I agree. This seems a bit vague and can lead to "patent trolling"

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Um didn't Asus had a device just like this and was heavily trolled by both MS AND Google because of it? Good to see that it was "Don't try this!" but "Don't try this before we can get a patent for it"

Of course this will be granted even though Linux has had dual boot and virtualization since the 90s.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This patent was filed exactly 1.5 years ago (March 2014).

Also this is different from "dual-boot" as the OSes are stored on the device as "inoperable and compressed" and the user makes a selection to install one and then the others are deleted from the device.

Read the actual patent for more info: http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20150277929&IDKey=C28BB6D4A558&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fappft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO2%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526co1%3DAND%2526d%3DPG01%2526s1%3D20150277929.PGNR.%2526OS%3DDN%2F20150277929RS%3DDN%2F20150277929%2526RS%3D

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I can't see why anyone would want to use Windows Phone instead of Android.

I'm one of those. Had Windows Phone since January 2013 and took an Android last February. On Tuesday MS announces the new Lumias and I'm going after 950 or 850 for sure. I'm out of Android as quickly as I can. In fact, I'm using Android cause my 8X died with the unintentional upgrade to W10.

Android is too much full of crap, and the ROM system is not the answer. Also its functionality is quite more rudimentary compared to the new ways of doing things from WP, even Sailfish is the dream (not still a true option).

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3

Also this is different from "dual-boot" as the OSes are stored on the device as "inoperable and compressed" and the user makes a selection to install one and then the others are deleted from the device.

Read the actual patent for more info: http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20150277929&IDKey=C28BB6D4A558&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fappft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO2%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526co1%3DAND%2526d%3DPG01%2526s1%3D20150277929.PGNR.%2526OS%3DDN%2F20150277929RS%3DDN%2F20150277929%2526RS%3D

Still too close to virtualization and that has been around for decades, not just 1.5 years.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm one of those. Had Windows Phone since January 2013 and took an Android last February. On Tuesday MS announces the new Lumias and I'm going after 950 or 850 for sure. I'm out of Android as quickly as I can. In fact, I'm using Android cause my 8X died with the unintentional upgrade to W10.

Android is too much full of crap, and the ROM system is not the answer. Also its functionality is quite more rudimentary compared to the new ways of doing things from WP, even Sailfish is the dream (not still a true option).

Stock android not as much, though your points are valid. I am also glad someone defends something other than the stupid, stupid fucking Metro UI

-------

Current Rig

-------

How is this an idea you can patent? 

if apple can patent curved sides on phones than microsoft can patent dual OS phones

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Read the actual patent for more info: http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20150277929&IDKey=C28BB6D4A558&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fappft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO2%26Sect2%3DHITOFF%26p%3D1%26u%3D%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html%26r%3D1%26f%3DG%26l%3D50%26co1%3DAND%26d%3DPG01%26s1%3D20150277929.PGNR.%26OS%3DDN%2F20150277929RS%3DDN%2F20150277929%26RS%3D

So it's more how NOOBS (New Out Of Box Software) for the Raspberry Pi sets up your SD Card when setting up the system initially (or for each card if you run multiple cards/OSes with the same Pi), eh?

Edit: Looking over the patent again...The Microsoft patent (particularly Figures 3 through 9) is basically covering Raspberry Pi's NOOBS as outlined in this article from June 2013.

Edited by Technous285

Remember when Asus made a few tablets with Android and Windows? MS and Google made them stop. This is a final bitch slap.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Still too close to virtualization and that has been around for decades, not just 1.5 years.

This has nothing to do with virtualization....

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

So it's more how NOOBS (New Out Of Box Software) for the Raspberry Pi sets up your SD Card when setting up the system initially (or for each card if you run multiple cards/OSes with the same Pi), eh?

I'm not saying there is validity to the patent, I'm just making clear some details that were left out of the OP.

This has nothing to do with virtualization....

A patent about seamlessly using 2 operating systems on a single device has nothing to do with technology that exists and predates it that lets you...and get ready for this....seamlessly use 2 operating systems on a single device.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I think this is great. Anyone that touched a Windows Phone will tell you how freaking amazing it is. Even on a super low end phone, the OS experience in terms of response and speed (navigating the OS that is) is on par to an iPhone.

Everyone I talk to, WANT a Windows Phone, but stick to Android, because of lack of apps.

That is why Windows 10 is free (apps in the apps store works on phone, tablet and pc), Microsoft made Visual Studio Code (free), and worked on a porting system from iOS or Android to Windows Apps (universal apps, the apps that runs, as mentioned, on Windows Phone, tablet, and well your computer).