Microsoft Media Wireless Keyboard review

AlTech

As no stranger to Microsoft products I often look at products they announce even though I don't buy an eighth of what they sell.

When the Media Keyboard came out, I wasn't sure who would actually buy one of these since A) I already had a perfectly functioning mechanical keyboard, B) I didn't exactly have much money, C) I was not the target market/audience of this keyboard.

A few months later, I noticed several problems with my gaming setup.

• It took up too much space
  • It was too messy
  • There was too many cables
  • The Cherry MX Blues in my keyboard were getting on my nerves
  • The mice i was using (and still am on my desktop when i game) has a tendency to click twice instead of once.

I then bought a Logitech G930 to replace my broken headphones, and as i was leaving the computer center, i noticed there was one of the Microsoft's Media keyboards lying around. Because the store offered the G930 for around $140 USD (quite a steal since one of these costs like $190 off Logitech's website), i was able to spend $30 from the $50 left on the Media Keyboard since i figured "Why the hell not? This looks really promising".

post-89336-0-77255600-1443936142.jpg

What I like after quite some time with it:

• Complete Desktop OS Compatibility (Works on Windows, Mac and Linux)
  • Compact USB dongle
  • Detects the keyboard almost immediately after plugging in dongle
  • Quick shortcuts to open file explorer and windows media player
  • Brightness control of screen using FN + combo key
  • Excellent value for money
  • 2 Year warranty
  • Somewhat satisfying to type on
  • Can be used at quite a distance away.
  • Includes 2 batteries

What i don't like:

• Uses AA batteries
  • Can't use track-pad and keyboard part at the same time by default (this is a problem with windows not the track-pad)
  • Plastic used can pick up fingerprint oils

The Good: Price, Value for money, capabilities

The Bad: Uses AA batteries, Plastic used can pick up fingerprint oils somewhat easily

The Ugly: By default on windows, you can't use the track-pad and keyboard on this at the same time.

Buy or Do not Buy: Buy!

Edit: To replace my desktop mouse I'll be buying a Logitech gaming wireless mouse. I knew how Cherry MX Blues sound before i bought it. At first i was OK with it but recently I've found it to be annoying. I wish i had bought reds or browns but the keyboard i bought came in Blues or Reds only and i wasn't a huge fan of Reds.

Let me know what you think of the keyboard and what you think of my review in the comments below.

If you have any questions about this feel free to ask, although i may take a bit of time to reply to your post.

Until next time, Happy Browsing :)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

A few problems pop up from your review. Why did you change to a trackpad and why didn't you look at a video or something to see how the Cherry MX Blues sound?

Otherwise your review was pretty good! :)

A few problems pop up from your review. Why did you change to a trackpad and why didn't you look at a video or something to see how the Cherry MX Blues sound?

Otherwise your review was pretty good! :)

1. The thing includes a track-pad (see image). This will not be my replacement for my desktop mouse. I am planning on buying a Logitech Gaming wireless mouse. (can't remember model number off the top of my head)

2. I knew how Cherry MX Blues sound before i bought it. At first i was OK with it but recently I've found it to be annoying. I wish i had bought reds or browns but the keyboard i bought came in Blues or Reds only and i wasn't a huge fan of Reds.

Thanks! I'll make sure to edit it and add an explanation to both of your questions for others to see. :)

I may do a review of the Logitech G930.

By the way do you know how to change my LTT profile name/nick name?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1. The thing includes a track-pad (see image). This will not be my replacement for my desktop mouse. I am planning on buying a Logitech Gaming wireless mouse. (can't remember model number off the top of my head)

2. I knew how Cherry MX Blues sound before i bought it. At first i was OK with it but recently I've found it to be annoying. I wish i had bought reds or browns but the keyboard i bought came in Blues or Reds only and i wasn't a huge fan of Reds.

Thanks! I'll make sure to edit it and add an explanation to both of your questions for others to see. :)

I may do a review of the Logitech G930.

By the way do you know how to change my LTT profile name/nick name?

Thanks that you cleared stuff up. I think you change your LTT name somewhere in the profile settings.