Western Digital Vs. Seagate HDDs

Paytend01

Which one of these two storage brands are the best? Im looking at the 1tb 7200 rpm hdd by the way

I've always been a seagate guy

TheGrim123321

CPU: I3-4170Cooler: Hyper TX3Mobo:Biostar B85MGMemory: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GBStorage: Barracuda 500GBGPU: Zotac GTX660Case: Fractal 1100PSU: Evga 500WMonitors: FHX2153L 21.5"│V193WEJb 19"Keyboard/Mouse: CMStorm DevastorAudio: MonoPrice 8323Microphone: BlueYeti BlackoutOS: MSX(Win10) Quote me or @TheGrim123321 to get my attention.

Well, as long as none of them do the dumb thing of parking the heads every few minutes, any brand will do just fine.

I have a 3TB Seagate one and a 500GB WD green one, both are working fine.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Which one of these two storage brands are the best? Im looking at the 1tb 7200 rpm hdd by the way

Budget: Seagate

Performance: WD

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

HGST.

I won't touch seagate at all, as for wd it depends on the drive, black yes, blue is fine, no to green, and red I'm unsure about as I don't know much about them

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

not much difference really, I'd take either WD blue or Seagate Barracuda (whatever's just a $5 difference from what I've seen)

I'd lump all these threads into one though, I can see where this is going.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

not much difference really, I'd take either WD blue or Seagate Barracuda (whatever's just a $5 difference from what I've seen)

I'd lump all these threads into one though, I can see where this is going.

I was looking at the caviar blue, and the seagate barracuda...

I've been using WD and haven't really had any problems. Just curious though. Does anyone have experience with Toshiba HDDs? Just saw them at MicroCenter today and was surprised at how cheap they were.

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

Well, as long as none of them do the dumb thing of parking the heads every few minutes, any brand will do just fine.

I have a 3TB Seagate one and a 500GB WD green one, both are working fine.

Normally I would have my drives spin down after 30 minutes of inactivity, but Windows 10 would spin them up and then spin them down immediately.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

People say Seagate is bad, but I;ve had several drives from them and non have failed or lost data. I have had Toshiba drives and they were meh, one was complete crap. People seem to recommend WD, but I've only had like one or two drives from them, both were fine. Honestly I think for anything less than 1-2TB you should go with Seagate, and leave the 3TB and up to WD.

Honestly I think for anything less than 1-2TB you should go with Seagate, and leave the 3TB and up to WD.

Any particular reason?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Normally I would have my drives spin down after 30 minutes of inactivity, but Windows 10 would spin them up and then spin them down immediately.

Well, I normally check the SMART values, and my green drive used to do that even when I had that turned off in windows, my Seagate one also did that and I had to install a program called KeepAlive HD, because the load/unload cycles were going up quite fast, my WD drive no longer does that because I disabled its damn wdidle3 thingie.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Any particular reason?

People seem to trust WD at higher capacities. I like Seagate but if what people say is true, then I wouldn't get very high capacity drives from them. But from my experience all of my drives under 1TB have never failed (the Seagate ones) so I can recommend those.

People seem to trust WD at higher capacities. I like Seagate but if what people say is true, then I wouldn't get very high capacity drives from them. But from my experience all of my drives under 1TB have never failed (the Seagate ones) so I can recommend those.

I've had 6 WD Blue drives and one Black Scorpio drive that were less than 2TB(in fact, highest capacity I've had is 1TB) and none of them failed.

I've had 6 WD Blue drives and one Black Scorpio drive that were less than 2TB(in fact, highest capacity I've had is 1TB) and none of them failed.

Hmm... Well I've only had my hands on two WD Green drives. I'm just going off of what I hear, and what I hear is that WD drives are more reliable. But I can also throw in my personal experience (with Seagate), so I guess that's my reasoning, if that makes sense.

seagate drives nowadays are fine all purpose drives but western digital produces better drives for specific usages (gaming, nas, etc.)

Id personally get a WD Blue drive.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Hey there Paytend01,

It really depends on what you particularly need the drive for. WD Blue is a great everyday drive that can handle some heavier tasks. It works good, relatively quiet and is pretty reliable. 
For more performance and durability I would go for WD Black. Even though it is a bit more costly, it is designed for better performance and longer and heavier workloads. :) Here's a bit info on it too: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=K7Me4o

Do have in mind that HDD are mechanical units after all and failures do happen for one reason or another. It is always recommended to keep a backup of your important data on different storage drives regardless of the brand. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/