Intake or Exhaust?

VeeTeePee
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

i'd suggest just leaving the top open, as a passive exhaust.

hot air does a really good job at passively venting out the top of things.

when my fan filter is clogged up (no exhausts) taking the moduvents off my define r5 basicly restores temperatures back to usual.

Just wondering. On my Corsair Carbide 300r case, I have 3 fan mounts to use: 2 on the roof of the case, and 1 on the back. The one on the back is being used for exhaust from my liquid cpu cooler. So with the remaining 2 mounts on the roof, should they be used as intake or exhaust. Keep in mind that there are already 2 fans on the front of the case that are used as intake already. Just curious as to what I should do. Thanks much!

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

Hot air raises, the fans on the lower parts should be intake most of the times, while the top ones should be exhaust.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

@GoldSrc

So making the roof fans as exhaust would be fine right? Or would you think that using the back fan mount as exhaust would be better.

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

i'd suggest just leaving the top open, as a passive exhaust.

hot air does a really good job at passively venting out the top of things.

when my fan filter is clogged up (no exhausts) taking the moduvents off my define r5 basicly restores temperatures back to usual.

@GoldSrc

So making the roof fans as exhaust would be fine right? Or would you think that using the back fan mount as exhaust would be better.

Depends on how efficient the back fan is, if you could put some fans on the front as intake and leave the top of the case open and use the back fan as exhaust, that could also work.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

@manikyath

I was thinking of doing that since my last PC did have the top as a passive exhaust and still ran fine. Well, no need to buy more fans then. :P Just wondering though. What fans would you recommend putting at the front of the case. 140mm fans that are pretty silent would be nice.

@manikyath

I was thinking of doing that since my last PC did have the top as a passive exhaust and still ran fine. Well, no need to buy more fans then. :P Just wondering though. What fans would you recommend putting at the front of the case. 140mm fans that are pretty silent would be nice.

i've had a point in life where i'd suggest getting noctua.

but most other brands have picked up to 90% of noctua's slicence/performance, for 60% of the price...

@manikyath

Do you have any experience with either of the following brands' fans? Corsair, Cooler Master, NZXT, or those Be Quiet! fans

@manikyath

Do you have any experience with either of the following brands' fans? Corsair, Cooler Master, NZXT, or those Be Quiet! fans

well.. i have TONS of shady OEM fans laying around that do just fine.

also have two yate loons that are absolutely horribly noisy...

have a third identical yate loon that had a fan blade break off, which i carefully replaced with ducktape, and its now more balanced out than the non-damaged yate loons...

(either i am god, or yate loon fans are terrible...)

my main system has two fractal design fans in the front (the ones that come with the define R5 by default) and i cant hear them, at all.

my tower cooler has a be quiet strapped to it, and even when my 4790k is cranked to the max processing zip archives i cant hear it...

i do like the design of be quiet fans tho.